Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone retrofitted 4th generation door modules?  (Read 3852 times)

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
Anyone retrofitted 4th generation door modules?
« on: April 25, 2017, 08:15:14 am »
Hey.

Has anyone retrofitted 4th generation door modules to their car?
Saw Dana made a little thread about on the Ross Tech website.

Just not that kean to try this without having anyone ask for help when I'm in trouble hehe.
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Anyone retrofitted 4th generation door modules?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 10:41:54 am »
What do they do that the earlier modules don't?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 11:15:56 am »
I think all 4th gen modules allow folding mirror that can be coded with VCDS in the adaption settings.

Atleast the modules from Passat and Touran does :)
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 01:51:45 pm »
I think all 4th gen modules allow folding mirror that can be coded with VCDS in the adaption settings.

Ah OK, cool!

Folding mirrors aren't worth it on the MK5.  Even manual ones barely tuck in at all, hardly worth the effort moving them  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 04:19:22 pm »

Ah OK, cool!

Folding mirrors aren't worth it on the MK5.  Even manual ones barely tuck in at all, hardly worth the effort moving them  :grin:

I know.. that's why I want to make some scirocco mirrors fit instead.

Was just thinking maybe someone retrofitted some 4th gen modules before I'll will give it ago hehe.. So hard finding 3rd gen that allow mirror fold. Wont take modules from a mk6 since this doesn't allow my to use the fuelcap switch..... Actually I don't even know if the 4th gen ones doesn't allow that either?  :thinking:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 11:10:00 pm »

3rd Gen modules auto fold mirrors if programmed and Alex retro does this for you as I'm going down soon to get mine coded. If the 4th gen do it on vcds then that's worth doing  :happy2:
I paid £40 for two gen 3 modules

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 10:37:53 am »
Yeah I know you can flash the firmware on the 3rd gen modules to make them fold :)
Just having huge trouble locate a set of 3rd generation ones that will allow folding mirrors :(   

what part number does your have @r5gtt ?

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 01:02:39 pm »
Yeah I know you can flash the firmware on the 3rd gen modules to make them fold :)
Just having huge trouble locate a set of 3rd generation ones that will allow folding mirrors :(   

if I knew earlier but here are the part numbers are 1K0959793N 1K0959792N I've been told will work and east to get hold of for cheap.

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 01:11:37 pm »

if I knew earlier but here are the part numbers are 1K0959793N 1K0959792N I've been told will work and east to get hold of for cheap.

Will try have a look for them. - Unless I'll get some problems when my car is a LHD?

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 02:15:19 pm »

Will try have a look for them. - Unless I'll get some problems when my car is a LHD?
youll need to ask someone with a left hand drive car but I wouldn't think so just switch the right hand side module to the left lol

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 02:51:27 pm »
Sadly its not as simple as swapping module from left to right or vice versa, if you think of the switch panel on our drivers side the left switch is the passenger side, on a LHD car the left switch is the driver switch, this isn't simple wiring wiring changes its software changes to let the module know if its RHD or LHD.

Fyi to anyone reading the Ross Tech write up about gen4 modules, they apparently can't get hold of gen3 modules in the US anymore? so VW are apparently suggesting gen4, this isn't a simple procedure for 2 main reasons, our gen3 modules are fixed to the motor the gen4 modules are separate so upgrading to these would also require the motor change as i don't believe there is an adaptor cable to use the old motor.

PLUS do not just plug in a gen4 module into an older car as the main power feed into the modules has swapped round meaning you'll just f**k the unit, gen3 positive pin 20 negative pin 19, gen4 positive pin 19 negative pin 20

also i have a few modules from mk6 golf, Scirorrco, Eos, Golf cabriolet, regardless of not having the electric fuel flap release on the actual car you can code it into the module as the pin is still there for the switch to input into the module.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 03:02:24 pm by SI-R32 »
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 03:14:47 pm »
Sadly its not as simple as swapping module from left to right or vice versa, if you think of the switch panel on our drivers side the left switch is the passenger side, on a LHD car the left switch is the driver switch, this isn't simple wiring wiring changes its software changes to let the module know if its RHD or LHD.

Fyi to anyone reading the Ross Tech write up about gen4 modules, they apparently can't get hold of gen3 modules in the US anymore? so VW are apparently suggesting gen4, this isn't a simple procedure for 2 main reasons, our gen3 modules are fixed to the motor the gen4 modules are separate so upgrading to these would also require the motor change as i don't believe there is an adaptor cable to use the old motor.

PLUS do not just plug in a gen4 module into an older car as the main power feed into the modules has swapped round meaning you'll just f**k the unit, gen3 positive pin 20 negative pin 19, gen4 positive pin 19 negative pin 20

also i have a few modules from mk6 golf, Scirorrco, Eos, Golf cabriolet, regardless of not having the electric fuel flap release on the actual car you can code it into the module as the pin is still there for the switch to input into the module.

Sound like quite the work Simon :/ I've tried search for all the Gen.3 numbers I got from you the other day, with no luck sadly!

Perhaps I should try locate some gen.2 modules that will support the mirror fold instead?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 08:55:48 am by Christiank »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 04:29:02 pm »

:doh: I forgot about the wiring rhd to lhd so a bigger there!!!

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 04:41:56 pm »
There maybe a saving grace about it all, Vag Can Pro has a one touch guided function to change LHD to RHD or Vice versa, some of the modules i mentioned earlier i got from Europe so this is something i have yet to try and see if it works, waiting for better weather and spare time to check my work, some of this can be done on my rig indoors before trying on the car.

Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 05:57:24 pm »
Nice one SI looks like you're progressing mate  :happy2: