Make a donation

Author Topic: Common issues  (Read 13053 times)

Offline Dadetailing

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Common issues
« on: April 25, 2017, 01:13:59 pm »
Just recently joined the forum and currently on the hunt for a mk5 Gti.

I have question for those of you who have extensive knowledge of these cars, are cam followers, divert valves and pcp values common failure points. I know all three of these parts are fairly cheap and reasonably easy to replace, but if not replaced can they lead to larger and more expensive problems? Not many owners seem to know much about the cam follower on their cars having been changed.

Also, is history of the timing chain having been replaced a must. Most cars I have enquired about have history of the belt and water pump having been changed but not the chain.

Offline reflexsilverfox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 15

Offline reflexsilverfox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Common issues
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 01:26:37 pm »
Cam chain and tensioner is something some cars will have had done others won't, depends if the owners have got fed up with the clacking sound at hot idle and got it done or just put up with it - PCV and DV valves do fail but are easy cheap to sort yourself if mechanically minded.

Cam follower the same as above, not difficult to do yourself. There was no record of mine being changed when i bought the car at 99k but when i took the old one (possibly original one) out it wasn't too bad. Mine is a 2007 BWA though so had the revised camshaft - whether that matters i'm not sure.

Rust and knackered air con are also things to look out for.

Offline Dadetailing

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 02:00:23 pm »
Having had a good look through classified ads, I notice the price of these cars seem to be all the over place at the moment, seen a few rough looking examples priced over the £5k mark.

Ideally I am looking for one with as many of the common issues resolved as possible.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 02:09:59 pm by Dadetailing »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 02:23:58 pm »
Having had a good look through classified ads, I notice the price of these cars seem to be all the over place at the moment, seen a few rough looking examples priced over the £5k mark.

Ideally I am looking for one with as many of the common issues resolved as possible.

That is the kind of car that fetches a premium, which not many people are prepared to pay for.

The list of common issues doesn't stop at the engine either.  They are now at the age where the chassis components are in need of replacement to keep them driving nicely.  Steering racks for example, not cheap.  Seized rear control arms.  Console bush bolts snapping when upgrading to a WALK. Etc etc.  It's not mileage that kills cars, it's age.

There is no service interval for the chain, or the gearbox oil (manual), so you can't expect to see evidence of it if the maker doesn't even have a service schedule on it.  Only the fastidious enthusiast owners will have it done.   But you can profit from a car that does have a knackered chain as a bartering point, as it's not a difficult job.

Worse than common stuff not being done is bodging barstewardss covering stuff up and not disclosing it, leaving numerous 'treats' for you to find 18 months later, so be vigilant and put your best Sherlock Holmes outfit on.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dadetailing

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 02:35:27 pm »
Thanks

I have noticed also they seem to hang around the market for a while, I have seen a lot being relisted several times over.  I thought  the golf gti would be a good seller and change hands very quickly.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 02:52:57 pm »
The market place is very unstable at the moment.  There's a lot of high end priced cars that aren't shifting, a lot of cars that look great in the pics but crap in the flesh that also aren't shifting, and a lot of seemingly good cars, but with no histories etc.   The sweet spot is around £6K for a good GTI and £8k for a very nice ED30.

And on top of that, easy breezy lease deals are slowly eating into the s/hand values too.   A lot of people would rather not chance an old Golf with potential bills round the corner, and just jump into a brand new GTI for £250 a month.

Offline Dadetailing

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 03:08:21 pm »
The market place is very unstable at the moment.  There's a lot of high end priced cars that aren't shifting, a lot of cars that look great in the pics but crap in the flesh that also aren't shifting, and a lot of seemingly good cars, but with no histories etc.   The sweet spot is around £6K for a good GTI and £8k for a very nice ED30.

And on top of that, easy breezy lease deals are slowly eating into the s/hand values too.   A lot of people would rather not chance an old Golf with potential bills round the corner, and just jump into a brand new GTI for £250 a month.
Very true I suppose.

Offline david25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 06:25:00 pm »
Sold mine recently, a plain 5 door manual (2006), it had all usual bits fixed or replaced and had all receipts.

£5500 to the first viewer, who said it was difficult finding a clean one, which is probably true when cars are 11 years old.

I recently posted one at an official dealer for £9000, expensive but a bit safer
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 06:26:59 pm by david25 »

Offline Eves

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 6
Common issues
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 07:50:42 am »
I purchased my 2007 Laser Blue GTI after 5 weeks of searching Autotrader last month for £6k

I was refreshing the page every other hour and the car I wanted popped up. Was the first to call, deposit left and collected the following day - 1 owner from new on 63k miles.

Patience is the key here.  Plenty of rough/ragged examples out there!

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 08:24:59 am »
Step this way!  :grin: https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/golf-gti-mk5-mk6/volkswagen-golf-mk5-gti-------------------2005/7143962

All the common problems have been sorted and it's been owned by a very fussy owner!

Offline Dadetailing

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 11:48:54 am »
Step this way!  :grin: https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/golf-gti-mk5-mk6/volkswagen-golf-mk5-gti-------------------2005/7143962

All the common problems have been sorted and it's been owned by a very fussy owner!
Looks good, but unfortunately  too far away and I am looking for a cloth interior

Offline GTIEagles

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 03:22:43 pm »
Fair enough, good luck with the search  :happy2:

willni

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 09:32:07 am »
Yeah it's about patience in finding a good golf waited a year and ended getting a 2 owner (technically 1 2nd had it for a week) edition 30, 18k miles. But have had to do a bit of replacement on the interior pieces and a tidy up underneath

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 10:22:07 am »
Yeah it's about patience in finding a good golf waited a year and ended getting a 2 owner (technically 1 2nd had it for a week) edition 30, 18k miles. But have had to do a bit of replacement on the interior pieces and a tidy up underneath

An 18K old little baby needed tidying up?!!  :surprised:   Christ, I thought I was picky  :grin: