Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk7 R engine in MK5 GTi?  (Read 9247 times)

Offline omar2222

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Mk7 R engine in MK5 GTi?
« on: April 26, 2017, 09:58:54 pm »
Hi all,

Anyone put a MK7 R engine into a mk5 gti? Can it be done and run on 2wd? what else would need changing other then of course the engine box and ecu to get it working.

thanks!

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
Re: Mk7 R engine in MK5 GTi?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 10:07:17 pm »
Not sure on the technicalities. Personally, I don't see the point in this. Spend the half the money you have to buy and put in the mk7 engine modding the mk5 engine\brakes and suspension you'd probably have a more capable car. a lot of effort for not much gain? I don't know your circumstances tho, If you've got a dead mk5 engine and a cheap mk7 donor and the skills to do it yourself, then i might be worth it.
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline omar2222

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 10:23:13 pm »
Yes i was thinking from the perspective if ones engine was to do die then could the MK7 R be a potential replacement to fit in , and could it be done easily enough

Offline Wolf Burger

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 10:32:11 pm »
I would love to see it.  :party:

There must be thousands of MK7 Golf R engines laying about soon after all the cheap Hire purchase cars come back in after the 3 year loan deals   :signLOL:
Golf Mk6R 2011- Rising Blue- Manual-
Modifications-
E-Tuners 361 BHP - 350lbs
Revo Intake
Bilstein B16 & H&R ARB's
Team Dynamics 1.3
18Z Porsche BBK
RNS510 with Focal Speaker upgrade
MK6 Recaro Heated Buckets
Cruise Control
Highline Reverse Camera

Offline omar2222

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 10:47:03 pm »
^^ ^My thinking too! That it would be easier to get hold of a MK7 R engine and box then a MK5 engine

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 11:25:56 pm »
If I was going to do this  it would be 4wd

FilipK

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 07:54:10 am »
If I was going to do this  it would be 4wd for https://casenergy.org/phallosan-forte-review-results the Phallosan Forte.

Same here, and it can definitely be done. I hope you post some pics when you've done it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:14:22 pm by FilipK »

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 08:35:50 am »
Mk3 Cupra is a 2wd platform so would be a more suited donor (same engine as the Mk7 R)

Doubt it'll be an easy job as its an entirely different platform to the Mk5/Mk6 cars
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 09:44:01 am »
Im sure it will fit. you biggest problem would be the wiring.

As the mk7 engines are capable of alot of power A diff or 4wd would be beneficial

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 10:16:41 am »
Yep, wiring and ECU work will be the biggest of all the big headaches if you've ever had in your life.  Possibly even migraine inducing.

It does have some benefits though.  It has variable cam lift *and* duration on both inlet and exhaust (very similar to Honda's VTEC), so improved off boost torque, more midrange grunt and more top end power.  And obviously it will bolt right in.

After you've picked apart the wiring harnesses and removed the redundant wires, you then have the daunting task of getting all the systems communicating happily.  You'll probably need the MK7 instrument cluster and key-less start system.  And once you've established comms and the engine starts, the fun will really begin.   There will be literally dozens of fault codes to pick through and figure out how to turn off.  You might be lucky with some systems being a simple "On/off" byte, but chances are, the ECU is gonna whine like a bitch about everything.

And this is all assuming you can find someone who can actually hack into a MK7 ECU, because you know how clever they are right?   Even tuning boxes are becoming obsolete (all they do is intercept the MAP sensor and tell the ECU it's running less boost than it really is) because of complex modelling.   The ECU looks at all of the sensors and if they don't add up, it'll just shut the throttle.  The days of Revo et al are fast becoming numbered.  They can currently flash an ECU in a standard car obviously, but when it comes to retrofitting that ECU into an older car and dropping all of the MK7's systems.......you're gonna struggle.

So yeah......it's going to be a massive challenge.

In terms of man hours labour cost and yours and their time, it will be WAAAAAAY cheaper to bin off the MK7 ECU and go with a Syvecs or Life Racing.  Haltech are offering DI support next year too.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 10:20:30 am by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 10:26:57 am »
End of the day, it would cost more than forging a mk5 gti engine with a BT.

I guess if money is no object then it doesnt matter

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 10:42:57 am »
Yeah agreed.  Complex electronics makes conversions considerably more difficult these days!   

I keep flirting with the idea of forging, but I'm too fussy and would end up buying a brand new CDL and dropping some pistons/rods into it.   Been there in the past with rebuilt engines which weren't that great when all was said and done.

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 02:30:26 pm »
Yeah agreed.  Complex electronics makes conversions considerably more difficult these days!   

I keep flirting with the idea of forging, but I'm too fussy and would end up buying a brand new CDL and dropping some pistons/rods into it.   Been there in the past with rebuilt engines which weren't that great when all was said and done.

Sounds like an expensive way of doing things. Why not just fit rods and psitons to your standard block? Alot cheaper

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 03:20:34 pm »

Sounds like an expensive way of doing things. Why not just fit rods and psitons to your standard block? Alot cheaper

Because it's 110K old and probably lost a fair bit of compression, and I don't like machine shop honing as they don't do it as well as the factory, which can cause high oil consumption.   And it's a daily (my only car), so I'd have to get a second engine to do this to and build it up ready for a weekend swap, and if I'm going to that level of faffness, may as well just order a new engine from TPS!

Recente

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2019, 09:11:57 am »
If I was going to do this  it would be 4wd

Same here, and it can definitely be done. I hope you post some pics when you've done it.