Make a donation

Author Topic: Aftermarket Warranty cover for Mechatronic Unit?  (Read 2635 times)

Offline david85williams

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Aftermarket Warranty cover for Mechatronic Unit?
« on: April 27, 2017, 03:42:48 pm »
Hi all,

Looks like my 2007 ED30 needs a new Mechatronic unit... Does anyone know of a Warranty company that covers this?

Thanks!  :happy2:

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
Re: Aftermarket Warranty cover for Mechatronic Unit?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 04:47:20 pm »
Hi mate. Bad luck.

I used warranty direct and sent the car down to slaters in nottingham. They dealt with warranty direct.

Think warranty only covers you for 60% of the cost though.

Good luck.

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 05:35:57 pm »
I read it's cheaper to get yours refurbished or swapped with a refurb one as a new one will likely be 2k plus. I think ecu testing does a swap refurb for about 600 but not sure on exact price.

Also another option is to get a 2nd hand complete box for about 500 and just swap bits over etc.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:37:36 pm by slix »
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline david85williams

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 11:31:46 am »
Hi mate. Bad luck.

I used warranty direct and sent the car down to slaters in nottingham. They dealt with warranty direct.

Good luck.

A few months back I asked Warranty Wise if they covered the DSG on my golf and they said no. I've asked Warranty direct the same question. Hopefully like you it will be covered. I assume there's a period of time before you can make a claim?

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 11:44:56 am »
Hi mate. Bad luck.

Good luck.

A few months back I asked Warranty Wise if they covered the DSG on my golf and they said no. I've asked Warranty direct the same question. Hopefully like you it will be covered. I assume there's a period of time before you can make a claim?
Pm'ed you mate.

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 11:47:08 am »
I looked into warranty companies and the average price per year was around £400. Didn't seem worth it to me and the stuff that isn't covered inside the gearbox is shocking. Best to read all small prints.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 12:13:40 pm »
I looked into warranty companies and the average price per year was around £400. Didn't seem worth it to me and the stuff that isn't covered inside the gearbox is shocking. Best to read all small prints.

An alternative is getting a VW "named component" Extended warranty, which is £363 a year with a £250 excess, or £490 a year for "All component" cover.  Only snag is it's for cars younger than 100,000 miles only.

Knowing VW, they'll just replace the entire gearbox instead of diagnosing parts, which would be amazing value against that warranty cost!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 04:13:16 pm »

An alternative is getting a VW "named component" Extended warranty, which is £363 a year with a £250 excess, or £490 a year for "All component" cover.  Only snag is it's for cars younger than 100,000 miles only.

Knowing VW, they'll just replace the entire gearbox instead of diagnosing parts, which would be amazing value against that warranty cost!

Yeah a new box would be great. But I bet as soon as vw see that your car has a map on it (about 70% of cars on here) or a few mods they will quickly decline.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 04:21:40 pm »

Yeah a new box would be great. But I bet as soon as vw see that your car has a map on it (about 70% of cars on here) or a few mods they will quickly decline.

Yeah that is a very good point.   Handy to keep a spare coded ECU handy with a flash count of 0 for such situations  :grin:

VW must do their own 'remaps' and know what breaks on these engines, hence them coming down like an anvil on anything non standard.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D