Make a donation

Author Topic: Multi-function steering wheel retrofit  (Read 15829 times)

willni

Multi-function steering wheel retrofit
« on: April 30, 2017, 01:41:43 pm »
Hello,

What is required to change a non-multi function steering wheel to a multi function?

I have the steering wheel and airbag, but in terms of wiring etc? I have a manual, 07 edition 30 with mid-line clocks.

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
Re: Multi-function steering wheel retrofit
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 07:17:28 pm »
Mk5 or mk6/newer steering wheel?
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline dubvrs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 07:27:53 pm »
Should just need a steering control module. If your doing the retrofit you might as well do cruise at the same time if you don't have it. Did both on mine in an hour.

Offline RetroRaz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 193
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 11:27:26 pm »
Go to YouTube type in mk5 golf multifunction steering wheel. There's a video i made on how to.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

willni

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 08:28:47 am »
Mk5 or mk6/newer steering wheel?

Mk5

Should just need a steering control module. If your doing the retrofit you might as well do cruise at the same time if you don't have it. Did both on mine in an hour.

Was sort of trying to avoid vcds atm, since I don't have any and there's no one around me with them either, Was hoping control modules could be pre-coded. Would love cruise control too though.

Go to YouTube type in mk5 golf multifunction steering wheel. There's a video i made on how to.

Thanks will do

willni

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 10:51:01 pm »

Thanks great video, was very helpful. One question with coding is the coding different for a manual ie different boxes needing ticked in vcds?

Offline RetroRaz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 193
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 11:44:24 pm »
Just one number in the string of digits stays 0 for manual. Should show up in the helper popup box

Offline SubZero75

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 10:20:43 am »
Hi folks,

I hope ye can help.

I am in a similar situation to OP. However, I have a 2009 Mark 5 Gti DSG and wanted to fit cruise control and steering wheel with buttons.

I'm bidding on the GTi Mk5 DSG Steering Wheel Multifunction F1 Flappy Paddles at present on Ebay.

There is a stalk on ebay too - VW GOLF MK5 GTI CRUISE CONTROL STALK ARM 1K0953513 (G36).

Is there anything other parts that I need?

Thank you so much in advance  :smiley:

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 01:42:54 pm »
If your Golf is DSG you just need the buttons with their ribbon cables - not the entire wheel, huge selection of paddles out there to stick onto your existing ones

Offline SubZero75

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 06:57:40 am »
If your Golf is DSG you just need the buttons with their ribbon cables - not the entire wheel, huge selection of paddles out there to stick onto your existing ones

I'm v sorry - I don't know what you mean  :sad1:

Also, I have the standard wheel and not one with buttons, if that makes things any clearer.

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 11:01:17 am »
What he is saying is if you already have steering wheel with paddles behind the steering wheel to change the gears up and down - then you don’t actually need a new steering wheel to get multi function you just need to buy the buttons themselves. That’s because the wiring is already installed on the steering wheel to feed the paddles.

Part numbers are 1k0 959 537J and 1k0 959 538F. Here is a link to similar ones I purchased - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223647407863

If however you don’t have paddles on your existing steering wheel then yes you will need to buy a new steering wheel but given the above explanation if you can’t find a MFSW then you could look for DSG paddled steering wheel and retrofit the buttons to it. Then you will have both buttons and the paddles.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2020, 03:30:51 pm »
What he is saying is if you already have steering wheel with paddles behind the steering wheel to change the gears up and down - then you don’t actually need a new steering wheel to get multi function you just need to buy the buttons themselves. That’s because the wiring is already installed on the steering wheel to feed the paddles.

Part numbers are 1k0 959 537J and 1k0 959 538F. Here is a link to similar ones I purchased - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223647407863

If however you don’t have paddles on your existing steering wheel then yes you will need to buy a new steering wheel but given the above explanation if you can’t find a MFSW then you could look for DSG paddled steering wheel and retrofit the buttons to it. Then you will have both buttons and the paddles.

yes - that's it!

Offline SubZero75

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 06:10:02 am »

Thank you for your reply - very much appreciated.

When I googled retro-fitting cruise control, the only option appeared to be changing the stalk and so I ordered one.

However, the idea of the buttons seems much better to me.

Do you know of any "how to" video of installing?

Thanks again.

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 03:07:51 pm »
For cruise control you will need to install the stalk - I had someone do that for me as it needs coding so don’t know how to do that.

The multi function buttons doesn’t give you any cruise control functionality if that is what you mean? It just allows you to control the stereo and the computer (so cycle the trip computer, stereo info, sat nav, etc). I assume you know that but wanted to state it anyway.

It’s been a while since I did the buttons but it was very straight forward - just remove the airbag (there’s lots of how to guides to do) that but basically you need to turn the steering wheel 90 degrees each way from centre and there is a tab at the back you need to access and press with a flathead screwdriver - use a small mirror (or mobile phone with camera) it helps greatly.

Then it’s just a case of removing the blanking plates - I think it’s a T20 hex if I recall and then replacing with the buttons and plugging in the wire into the connector at the bottom of the wheel (you’ll see where it connects once you remove the airbag). Then just put the airbag back on once done. I do recommend you unplug your battery when you do this as well.

Hope that helps

Offline catalin100

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2021, 08:29:08 am »
hello, guys!

im having an issue with my car, yesterday i just installed a MFSW on my 06.2004 golf, coded it in many ways (0003042 and 0003022) but i issue still pops up: if i enter the audio/navigation menu in the maxidot, i can no longer exit it unless i switch off then on the navigation. before, when i had only the wiper stalk buttons, in the audio menu i could hold up/down for 3 secs and the menu (the one with audio, mfd display, setup etc) would pop again and i could choose the next move, now, if i try to hold down/up the buttons on the steering wheel or on the wiper stalk, nothing happens, moreover, the buttons on the right (up/down) stop working and i can no long change the songs.

also, the mute button on the left doesn't work at all, neither the button with 3 lines (the one above the  OK button - this is because of the instrument cluster right? it being a 2004 model and i have the 2007+ buttons).

any advise is welcomed, thank you!