Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk6 Light Switch  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Hendry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Mk6 Light Switch
« on: May 08, 2017, 01:44:47 am »
Guys, my car has auto headlights and I've just swapped the standard light switch for a chrome genuine mk6 item.

I've noticed that if I leave it on auto setting, when I unlock the car at night, all the icons on the light switch light up, apart from the "auto" part, so the "0" "sidelights icon" and "dipped headlights" icon, but not the "auto" symbol, only when I switch on the ignition does the "auto" light up amber. Similarly at night if I switch the ignition off, the interior lights and footwell lights come on, window switches etc stay lit, as do all the icons on the auto light switch again apart from the "auto" this stops being lit up when the ignition is switched off. I'm sure my old mk5 light switch didn't do this, all the icons lit up when unlocked or ignition switched off.

Is this normal behaviour with the mk6 switch or have I got a faulty one (I say mk6 but it's actually from a 15 plate Scirocco, assuming it's the same as a mk6 though because it fits and works)

willni

Re: Mk6 Light Switch
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 09:19:01 am »
Mines the exact same but I've a fake/replica one I've noticed if I turn the lights on then back to auto it comes on but just for that journey. Not ideal but yet to find a solution

Offline Hendry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Mk6 Light Switch
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 03:56:36 pm »
Mines the exact same but I've a fake/replica one I've noticed if I turn the lights on then back to auto it comes on but just for that journey. Not ideal but yet to find a solution

If mines in the off '0' position and i unlock the car at night, all the symbols are lit up red, and if I switch the car off at night with the light switch in the off position all the symbols are lit up red, its only if the switch is on the auto setting that it doesnt light up at night when unlocked or the ignition switched off, as soon as i turn the ignition on at night with it on auto it suddenly lights up amber, so i dont suppose its a massive issue, I just know my old mk5 switch didnt do this. Ive also noticed the illumination of the actual dial you turn to select different positions on the switch acts the same as the auto symbol, but the '0' and the sidelights, headlights and both fog light symbols for front and rear illuminate red, my heater controls and window switches also illuminate. Maybe its just how the newer cars are set up.

Yours sounds different from mine where it sounds as though your auto symbol doesnt light up at all unless you turn the switch to one of the other positions and then back to auto every time you switch your ignition on which definitely isnt right.