Author Topic: WillNi's Red 5dr Edition 30  (Read 8195 times)

Offline willni

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 30
    • Email
Re: WillNi's Red 5dr Edition 30
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 12:29:17 PM »
Very nice  :smiley:

Did you notice much difference dynamatting the boot floor?  There is surprisingly little sound deadening in these cars!

Haven't really had the time to drive it much, but from other cars I've done it do I'd say an easy reduction in noise of about 30%, just from the boot floor. I'd say if boot floor, roof and doorcards were done I'd say 40-60% noise reduction, it's just a pain to work with to try and get it neat looking. I've done the boot in all the cars I've owned definitely worth the £60-£120.

That sounds like an upgrade i didnt know I wanted!

Do you simply cover the flat surface under the boot carpet or wheel well as well? Do you have any pics? Not worked with DynaMat before much.

Great looking car btw  :happy2:

Thanks, and it's a very easy upgrade just need a new stanley knife or snap off one of the exisiting blades if you have the multiple blade style it's just time consuming I tend to do it while painting the calipers, mines not as great as I wanted since ran out of material, but laid in a way to stop the vibration aka road noise. But I'll fill in the gaps in the future.

I just laid it in and around the wheel well, you're trying to stabilise the flat metal panels pretty much so they don't shake. You won't see any real gain applying it to carpet.

I don't have a picture of the final product unfortunately but I have a video showing the difference in a 'knock test' it's a bit rough but show about a 20% sound reduction from adding a little bit.

As Pudding said it's just really prep, hoover it and wipe it down and you're ready to go pretty much. Also have lots of thin cardboard about as it helps make templates for the cutting in awkward spots.

I'll post the video up now on youtube,
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 12:31:03 PM by willni »

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2017, 12:34:46 PM »
Thanks @Pudding & @willni  :happy2:

I just laid it in and around the wheel well, you're trying to stabilise the flat metal panels pretty much so they don't shake. You won't see any real gain applying it to carpet.

Sorry, I meant did you apply it to the boot floor UNDER the carpet as well as inside the wheel well?

Offline willni

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2017, 12:44:26 PM »
Thanks @Pudding & @willni  :happy2:

Sorry, I meant did you apply it to the boot floor UNDER the carpet as well as inside the wheel well?

If you mean the underside of the cardboardy carpet piece that sits above the spare then no, it it was foam sound deadening then yes I would. If you mean the flat part surrounding the spare then yes, but not the sticker. The video below will show you pretty much the parts I was applying it to, as well as I applied it to the bottom of where the spar wheel sits.

The promised video, this was it at about 20-30% applied so only really gave shows around a 20% reduction in sound in it.

Offline willni

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
WillNi's Red 5dr Edition 30
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2017, 02:54:56 PM »
And here it a video of it fully in, obviously i was short on material hence why the bottom of the 'barrel' is so badly done but can i redo it later on, but the spare wheel sits there and helps keep the noise down there.

@RobC @Pudding  here is the extent of where has been covered until i ran out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:21:21 PM by willni »

Offline willni

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2017, 01:26:04 PM »
There's the Pescaras refurbished and put back on, definitely looks more aggressive with the original coloured alloys.

Before;

During; think you'll agree the R32 ronal weren't a good looking alloy.

After;

Offline willni

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2017, 09:21:33 AM »
Little bit of work done,

Made a little bracket from an Ebay GTI badge by;

Removing the gti lettering, sanding it flat and  rounding it down toward it's final shape on the grindstone, then sanding it with 6000 grit sand paper.

Test fitting proved it couldn't fit through two honeycombs at the same time, so I cut one of the mountings off and resanded etc and rubbed down with IPA and mounted it, in an r shape.

The result is as follows

Offline TheHutchy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2017, 06:50:30 PM »
Looks awesome. Agree on the alloys as well.

Offline willni

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 10:32:23 PM »
Had an MOT today and passed with no advisorys

Offline Rossimac

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=kerpmtka7ccug8cma8ba2n1po0&/topic,90767.0.html
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2017, 09:12:10 AM »
Looks very good Will (you'll be glad to know I gave my car its summer clean yesterday -  :innocent: )

Offline willni

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 07:34:28 PM »
Looks very good Will (you'll be glad to know I gave my car its summer clean yesterday -  :innocent: )

Thanks and What's the special occasion?  :P  :wink:

Offline willni

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 10:25:39 AM »

Two updates;

Put the Powervalve cat back on sounds great.
And got a faulty ignition coil replaced that was causing a misfire, and the car now goes a lot better and pulls stronger.

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 01:00:03 PM »
Looks good! Which catback is this? Sports? Prestige? I assume it is a non-valved version?

How’s cruising sound compared to OEM? Been toying of the idea of a catback recently as I’m happy with the performance of my precat delete, but might like a bit more sound. Mainly worried about the dreaded motorway drone!
MkV GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, 06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline willni

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 06:44:54 PM »
Looks good! Which catback is this? Sports? Prestige? I assume it is a non-valved version?

How’s cruising sound compared to OEM? Been toying of the idea of a catback recently as I’m happy with the performance of my precat delete, but might like a bit more sound. Mainly worried about the dreaded motorway drone!

I can't remember between sports or prestige it's resonated as it has some baffling on the catpipe. Noise wise it's that well made you only hear it inside if you put the foot down, and the radio off (but I only rev it up to 4k rpm). But it's more than worth the money great quality and the right level of noise, and it will get a little bit louder over the coming weeks as it gets coked up. I probably will invest in the rest of the system in the future.

Offline golfmck1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2017, 09:44:03 PM »
Great to see another 5 door red eddie , would luv to refurb my wheels mysef but cant get round to paying for it.  Would luv a meet up with ya live in the newtownabbey area myself
Edition 30 num 859

Offline willni

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2017, 09:18:11 AM »
Great to see another 5 door red eddie , would luv to refurb my wheels mysef but cant get round to paying for it.  Would luv a meet up with ya live in the newtownabbey area myself

A lot of us are on TFSI-NI on facebook, with a meet on 8th October 7.30pm at Junction One.