Make a donation

Author Topic: Upgrading front speakers MB Quartz made for Golf Mk5  (Read 16715 times)

Offline Golfmk5GTD

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
Upgrading front speakers MB Quartz made for Golf Mk5
« on: May 16, 2017, 11:13:31 pm »
Hello all,

If you have decided to bite the bullet and want to upgrade your oem speakers I would strongly recommend the MB Quartz upgrade made for Golf Mk5's.

I had to end up changing all my car speakers as a Chinese Android stereo upgrade sent frequencies my speakers couldn't handle. However along with the OEM speakers I ended up selling the deck on and upgrading to a Pioneer double din. Best decision I had made in some time.

Below is a picture of the original setup:-

I was disappointed to find there were no mid speakers from factory! Just vents of some sort.

After:-

Please note the mids slot into the door cards hence you can only see the 8" woofer.

The speakers in question

I had to purchase the speakers directly from Germany however ended up doing through Amazon so wasn't too bad. Overall a very good upgrade however I will only see the true potential once these are coupled to an amplifier.

On a side note have plenty of sound deadening material ready as you will notice extra vibrations from the door cards.

Cost of speakers for £230.

Any questions fire away.

Thanks

Offline loop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 26
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Upgrading front speakers MB Quartz made for Golf Mk5
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 11:51:31 am »
Interesting post, I was considering these speakers a while ago. Is your car 3 door or 5 door?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
‘05 GT, Retrofits: RNS 510 DAB+, R32 Highline Cluster, R32 MFSW, Mk6 Reversing Camera, 7P6 Bluetooth, TPMS, Cruise Control, VW MDI, Chrome switches, Blaupunkt THA 475 amp.

Offline Golfmk5GTD

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 05:56:26 pm »
Hi Loop.

Its the 5 door model. I ended up swapping the rear speakers too for some Vibe 2 way 6.5" speakers as 1 OEM speaker was dead.

I decided to leave the OEM tweeters connected too due to position of main speakers on rear doors. When carrying passengers in the back I find the speakers are covered.

Technically I now have a 12 speaker system! Well 13 if you include the subwoofer  :surprised:

Offline loop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 12:31:33 pm »
Ok cheers for the info. The reason I asked about the doors is there is more room in the 3 door Golf for the crossovers, but I see the MB Quart ones are quite small.
I recently upgraded my speakers to Rainbow ones, and had to fit the crossovers under the seats as there wasn't quite enough space inside the door card for them.
A tricky job as all the speaker cables had to be routed through to inside the car so the door skin also had to come off.
Overall although they do sound better (particularly the treble), they weren't as big an improvement as I hoped for.
Changing the rears as well must have been some work!
With a subwoofer as well, I'm surprised you haven't fitted an amp?
My plan is to fit one under the passenger seat, hoping that makes the difference.

‘05 GT, Retrofits: RNS 510 DAB+, R32 Highline Cluster, R32 MFSW, Mk6 Reversing Camera, 7P6 Bluetooth, TPMS, Cruise Control, VW MDI, Chrome switches, Blaupunkt THA 475 amp.

Offline shaunK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 08:24:06 pm »
Are you using an amplifier to power these or are they running ok direct from the headunit?

Offline Golfmk5GTD

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 04:36:21 pm »
Ok cheers for the info. The reason I asked about the doors is there is more room in the 3 door Golf for the crossovers, but I see the MB Quart ones are quite small.
I recently upgraded my speakers to Rainbow ones, and had to fit the crossovers under the seats as there wasn't quite enough space inside the door card for them.
A tricky job as all the speaker cables had to be routed through to inside the car so the door skin also had to come off.
Overall although they do sound better (particularly the treble), they weren't as big an improvement as I hoped for.
My plan is to fit one under the passenger seat, hoping that makes the difference.

Crikey that sounds like it would have been alot of work! Its a shame you didn't get the results you were hoping for.

I'm hoping to apply copious amounts of sound deadening material on the doors and will then consider amping the speakers. At the moment there would be too much rattle coming from the front speakers if I increase the power.

I really should have thought about amping them when originally installed. I guess its down to the fact I wanted some replacement speakers that would be a straight fit as my original speakers blew. I should have just considered getting OEM speakers!

Offline Golfmk5GTD

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 04:39:17 pm »
Are you using an amplifier to power these or are they running ok direct from the headunit?

Hi Shaun,

The speakers are currently running direct from the headunit.

I've upgraded the headunit to a Pioneer double din which has a generous amount of EQ settings hence the sound is ok. The speakers have potential for serious quality sound however I need to run them of an amp and add more sound deadening to hear the true potential.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 04:56:26 pm »
On a side note have plenty of sound deadening material ready as you will notice extra vibrations from the door cards.

Is it the door cards themselves that rattle, or something inside the door?  That bugged me with the OEM speakers, let alone after markets.  Is there any way to stop it?

Nice upgrade btw.  Any chopping of the door card required to get those 8" woofers to fit?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Golfmk5GTD

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 08:00:33 pm »

Is it the door cards themselves that rattle, or something inside the door?  That bugged me with the OEM speakers, let alone after markets.  Is there any way to stop it?

Nice upgrade btw.  Any chopping of the door card required to get those 8" woofers to fit?

Thanks! In all honestly I'm yet to investigate further about the rattle. I'm in the process of ordering a trim removal kit and have some spare sound deadening material that needs applying. I only applied the basic amount at the time of fitting.

Thankfully no modification was required to get the woofers in. They really are made to fit straight into our cars.

I'm just trying to imagine having finished sound deadening the doors further, speakers amped up I wouldn't even need a subwoofer  :confused:

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 10:32:45 pm »

I've also fitted the rainbow kit but I managed to fit the crossovers behind the door panels but I admit it was a squeeze to get them in! I agree with what you say about the sound improvement not being as big as you'd hoped for, I was a bit disappointed as well even with running an after market head unit. It seems common opinion that you need to run an amp to get the best out of them so that may be on the cards for me at some point.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 03:23:52 pm »

Thanks! In all honestly I'm yet to investigate further about the rattle. I'm in the process of ordering a trim removal kit and have some spare sound deadening material that needs applying. I only applied the basic amount at the time of fitting.

Thankfully no modification was required to get the woofers in. They really are made to fit straight into our cars.

I'm just trying to imagine having finished sound deadening the doors further, speakers amped up I wouldn't even need a subwoofer  :confused:

Cool, thanks for the info.  Something to add to the growing list of upgrades!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline loop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 08:59:47 pm »

I've also fitted the rainbow kit but I managed to fit the crossovers behind the door panels but I admit it was a squeeze to get them in! I agree with what you say about the sound improvement not being as big as you'd hoped for, I was a bit disappointed as well even with running an after market head unit. It seems common opinion that you need to run an amp to get the best out of them so that may be on the cards for me at some point.
To be honest I've only fitted them in the driver's door so far as we ran out of time and it took much longer than envisaged with the additional wiring into the car that was needed.
Now if I switch the balance from left to right they do sound very similar to the stocks- perhaps a slightly more accurate sound, and clearer treble- but not a night and day difference by any means.
I did want to try the Gladens originally but they were a bit too expensive- think the cheapest I saw them was £280ish from a German retailer. They are £350 most places over here, then I saw the Rainbows had been reduced so went for them.