Make a donation

Author Topic: The absolute BEST all weather tyres?  (Read 5172 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=cppvf7jut59ae8do8e6kdtop52&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: The absolute BEST all weather tyres?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2017, 04:09:34 pm »
MPSS.... I found them fantastic in the dry and good in the wet.  I never got around to trying PS4.

Uniroyals might be ok for the price but they are not the best.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2017, 05:16:46 pm »
MPSS.... I found them fantastic in the dry and good in the wet.  I never got around to trying PS4.

Uniroyals might be ok for the price but they are not the best.
You'll get on well with PS4 if you're a fan of PSS. Almost as good in the dry, and a bit better in the cold and wet (according to my seat-of-the-pants-ometer).

I'd maybe stick with PSS if the car saw the track quite often, but for all round performance in British conditions, on British roads, the PS4 is hard to beat. 100 quid a corner is good value for what you get.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=cppvf7jut59ae8do8e6kdtop52&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2017, 05:25:56 pm »
I use AD08R Yokohamas now... crap when its really wet but amazing in the dry

Offline golfmck1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2017, 09:15:14 pm »
Running conti 5s on the front of mine but in the wet dont think there amazing would love a tyre that would hold the grip. I rem not so long ago 1 morning on the way to work the road seemed a bit greasy she was still not getting the power down even in 4th gear
Edition 30 num 859

Offline reflexsilverfox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2017, 01:30:40 pm »
Another vote for the Avon ZV7's, great in the wet and the dry. Cheap too! £62 per corner fitted from Halfords Autocentre (17's)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2017, 01:54:44 pm »
The conti sportcontact 6's seem to be getting rave reviews

I had the 5's on my RS4 and the wet grip was unbelievable. Seemed to wear faster than I expected though

Not available in 18" unfortunately, but yeah Conti Sports have never been the longest lasting tyre out there.   But it goes hand in hand with mpg imo.  Grip first, life span second.  And every time I see Rainsports and Avons mentioned, along with "they're really cheap"......Hmmmm, I think people forget it's a GTI and not 1.6 or diesel.

No such thing as a GOOD 'All weather' tyre either.   Summers for summer, winters for winter.  No one tyre is it all to the same standard as the best of each seasonal tyre. The end.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline KieranM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2017, 06:41:26 pm »
Another vote for PS4, I've had Uniroyal Rainsport 3s in the past and the grip levels are ok if you're just driving in straight lines but as soon as you go round a corner they feel horrible, the side walls are just far too soft!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2017, 06:52:11 pm »
I use AD08R Yokohamas now... crap when its really wet but amazing in the dry
Those are going to be my next track day tyres. :smiley:

Offline G40will

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2017, 09:31:57 pm »

I had the 5's on my RS4 and the wet grip was unbelievable. Seemed to wear faster than I expected though

Not available in 18" unfortunately, but yeah Conti Sports have never been the longest lasting tyre out there.   But it goes hand in hand with mpg imo.  Grip first, life span second.  And every time I see Rainsports and Avons mentioned, along with "they're really cheap"......Hmmmm, I think people forget it's a GTI and not 1.6 or diesel.

No such thing as a GOOD 'All weather' tyre either.   Summers for summer, winters for winter.  No one tyre is it all to the same standard as the best of each seasonal tyre. The end.

Have you driven on Rainsport's or Avon's?

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2017, 10:07:57 am »
Michelin PS4 are the best all round tyre. Uniroyals are awful in comparison.
If you have 19" then PS4S.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2017, 10:31:59 am »

Have you driven on Rainsport's or Avon's?

Yep.  Rainsport 1s, 2s and 3s and Avon ZZ3 and ZV3.  Off the top of my head, I've also used over the years - Eagle F1 original arrowhead, F1 2, F1 GSD3 and Assymetric 2,  Bridgestone RE720, RE050A & SO2 Pole Position, ContiSports 1 to 3, Falkens, Kumhos, Michelin PS3, PS2, PS4 and PSS, Pirelli P Zero, Pirelli P600 & P6000, Yokohama A510 & A520, Toyo T1S, T1R & R888, Dunlop SP Sport and a whole host of ditch finders.

The PS4 is by far the best 'all rounder' road tyre I've ever tried.

Rainsports are just too soggy in the corners and their wet grip is easily matched or surpassed by F1s and PS4s.   The Avons I tried were frankly dangerous in the wet.

Offline reflexsilverfox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2017, 01:19:37 pm »

Avon have motorsport heritage and a good reputation, they are definitely good enough for a road car with 200-300bhp.

Being cheap isn't the reason to buy them it's an just an added bonus as they are a good all round tyre and a good option for someone looking to save a bit of ££'s.

Offline reflexsilverfox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2017, 01:25:58 pm »
the Avon ZV7's are two generations on from the ZZ3 and ZV3 too so will have improved, they are rated A in the wet and impressed me massively when i first drove with them on.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2017, 02:08:41 pm »
Indeed.  I believe Avon were the first to bring out proper lightweight motorsport tyres with fiberglass cords instead of steel - the only company I know of to focus on light tyres.   But that doesn't mean their road tyres are amazing by association.  I get the ones I tried are old now, but back then Avon's rivals were leagues ahead....and they have also improved themselves.  I'll take your word for it the ZV7s are better, but since all of them use assymetric tread patterns now, they'll all feel similar up to a point....and that's where the more expensive rubber compounds come into their own.

And I can't take a tyre brand with same name as a mailorder makeup company seriously  :grin:

Offline reflexsilverfox

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2017, 08:11:20 pm »
I must admit I would of liked a set of PS4's but considering I had to 'settle' for the Avons due to many more things on my purchasing list I've been pleasantly surprised.

:grin: yeh bloody Avon lady, always comes when I'm eating my dinner!