Make a donation

Author Topic: The Future of Diesel Fueled Cars?  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
The Future of Diesel Fueled Cars?
« on: May 20, 2017, 06:31:20 pm »
Thinking about getting a Range Rover Evoque, or BMW X3, but becoming increasingly concerned about how unpopular diesel is becoming and facing 'no-go' areas in cities that are being steered to introduce bans or tax levies and the impact that this may have in the future for diesel fueled cars.

Would be a 3/ 4 year old one, so a bit better on emissions than some of the older ones, but still a bit bothered about spending £25k + on something that may bomb in value. The 3.0 diesel X3 does 0-60 in six seconds, which is pretty good though!

Anyone have any thoughts, please, on this?

Ta :thinking:

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Re: The Future of Diesel Fueled Cars?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 06:41:29 pm »
Whatever you believe emission and climate wise, diesel won't die as a daily consumable product overnight - hauliers, bus companies, taxi drivers & couriers may have something to say about that for years to come. I personally wouldn't have a fear of purchasing a diesel or diesel of that age, 2.0tdi's fill the roads for a reason. I imagine there'll always be a market even if it takes a small hit.

On the other hand, I can't recommend the '30d' (BMW N57 3.0 diesel) enough. I run a 2014 430d coupe and the powertrain is pretty fantastic. It must be one of the best all round engines probably for the last 20 years, let alone on the market.

Without being biased, I think a test drive should put any doubts right. I personally wouldn't get the X3 but as a package it'll certainly be usable  :happy2:

Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

willni

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 10:23:08 pm »
Whatever you believe emission and climate wise, diesel won't die as a daily consumable product overnight - hauliers, bus companies, taxi drivers & couriers may have something to say about that for years to come. I personally wouldn't have a fear of purchasing a diesel or diesel of that age, 2.0tdi's fill the roads for a reason. I imagine there'll always be a market even if it takes a small hit.

On the other hand, I can't recommend the '30d' (BMW N57 3.0 diesel) enough. I run a 2014 430d coupe and the powertrain is pretty fantastic. It must be one of the best all round engines probably for the last 20 years, let alone on the market.

Without being biased, I think a test drive should put any doubts right. I personally wouldn't get the X3 but as a package it'll certainly be usable  :happy2:

As rdfcpete says you'll be safe petrol will become the enemy of emission again next week probably, the people that declare this stuff are idiots much like the superfoods people. As for the '30D' engine I know plenty of people with the 330D estate that love them.

Offline spicypixel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 09:43:47 am »
I almost regret getting a 170ps 2.0 TDI GT over the mk5 GTI at this point, though having 40-50mpg in regular use helps my sleep at night, I doubt the GTI would come close.

That said, I get the feeling that it'll become harder and harder to justify it in the long run, especially with no-go areas killing resell value. Half the reason cars have value at all to people is the freedom to go from A to B unhindered. The second you rule out a lot of destinations the car loses a lot of value in utility and you end up with a bus for one that you pay to maintain.

We'll see, who knows - paid 5k for my car, they'd need to offer a decent amount close to that in scrapage bonus for me to want to switch - though that 5k wouldn't go very far in the used market if there's a sudden influx of demand for petrol cars...
Mk5 GT TDI 170 - MY2007

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=2v8m0hhru1vc862m6hkued3la6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 10:27:06 am »
Unless you do over 20k pa then get a petrol. I f*cking hate diesel.

willni

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 09:00:14 pm »
Unless you do over 20k pa then get a petrol. I f*cking hate diesel.

Even at 20k PA you're not really saving that much considering it takes 5 years or so to even out the price 1-2k price difference between petrol and diesel then you start saving money.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 04:21:42 pm »
That's the trouble with Diesels, you need the 3.0d minimum to make them remotely interesting.  My mate bought a new 320d recently and it's quite possibly the most unremarkable, instantly forgettable car I've ever been in.   Not a bad motor, quite punchy, 185hp I think....but just incredibly dull as a package.  The kind of car where you just stick the cruise on and slowly rot in your chair.

As above, diesel won't be phased out overnight because of haulage and transport, but they are slowly being cleaned up with PFs and Ad-blue piss injection.  It's the older pre-PF / AD-blue diesels that are still belching out carcinogenic soot particles which might get put onto another scrappage scheme.  Petrols are getting ever more efficient and stupidly fast, and with that alongside rapidly improving electric development.....diesels days are nearly numbered.  Only die hard penny pinchers will vehemently stick with it.

Oh Labour, Labour..... they who miss sold Diesel to us as the super fuel it isn't, purely to whack up the duty inline with Petrol.  Double entry for their bottomless coffers.   

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D