Make a donation

Author Topic: Gearbox whine/noise?  (Read 9783 times)

Offline sean.smithy94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,107823.0.html
Gearbox whine/noise?
« on: May 21, 2017, 11:11:45 am »
I have a 56 plate gti, for a fair while now I've had a whine at lower speeds, more noticeable when I'm going round a roundabout but I'm also sure it does it in a straight line too, on top of that though, I have a noise when the clutch pedal is up but disappears when I push the clutch down.

I believe my flywheel is showing early signs of wear too but ive been told a worn flywheel won't whine so what could it be?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Gearbox whine/noise?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 12:24:41 pm »
These gearboxes are horrible. Very agricultural and noisy, but they can go on like that for years without causing problems. 

You need to be a bit more specific about the noises.  Does it whine in every gear, or just particular ones?

The clutch noise, is it a rattle/clattering noise?

But it sounds to me like the standard gear lash whine these boxes make, possibly from the final drive, and the clutch noise that goes when you press the pedal sounds could be worn layshaft bearings.   But you might want to check the end float of gearshaft that's behind the cap on the end case.  Google it for more info.

A knackered flywheel makes a god awful clattering noise at idle with the clutch pedal up.  It can easily be heard on diesel engines as well, so you would definitely know if you had that problem.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 03:53:45 pm »
I don't have an answer to this but may experience the same noise you mention.

On roundabouts made of hard/raised surfaces (so more sound reflection) I hear a whine when in second/third gear at something like 3/4krpm. This is also only heard with light throttle input either maintaining constant speed or very light acceleration. Engine temperature seems to make no difference and I don't believe it's gear number related as I'm sure the noise would exist in 1st or 4th too, but these gears round roundabouts are rare to never. The pitch of the noise changes with RPM and seems to disappear when higher throttle inputs are applied (under moderate acceleration) and so never heard during straight driving where rpms are lower for constant speed or higher loads applied during acceleration. Though if I went into a built up area and maintained the RPMs and gears i've mentioned, the noise would be heard reflecting off e.g. a brick wall a meter away.

Its mostly heard by me when coming up to a medium sized roundabout, dropping into 2nd on approach; anticipating a swift exit. Maintaining speed round the roundabout at 3-4k rpm the whine is at its loudest disappears soon as I put my foot down or slow to sub 2.5krpm

Not really audible in the cabin but sounds like the right hand side of the engine bay and easily heard bouncing off heard surfaces with the window down.

My though was either gearbox or turbo whine. I've owned my car for a year and its always been there, never gotten any better or worse so now consider it a "feature". If anyone has any ideas or similar experiences I'd be interested to hear them!
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 04:15:57 pm »
Ditto with mine /\.  111K old ED30.  It's just normal gear whine under very light load conditions where gear lash is at it's loudest. I've got a Vibratechnics dogbone which does increase transmission ever so slightly.

Likewise with sound reflection.  In the summer months with both windows open and the sunroof, chuntering along slowly in traffic, my god does the car sound truly awful from the outside!  Injectors, HPFP, gearbox rattles, subframe clunks, brake caliper clunks.....etc etc.

Offline sean.smithy94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,107823.0.html
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 07:18:27 pm »
These gearboxes are horrible. Very agricultural and noisy, but they can go on like that for years without causing problems. 

You need to be a bit more specific about the noises.  Does it whine in every gear, or just particular ones?

The clutch noise, is it a rattle/clattering noise?

But it sounds to me like the standard gear lash whine these boxes make, possibly from the final drive, and the clutch noise that goes when you press the pedal sounds could be worn layshaft bearings.   But you might want to check the end float of gearshaft that's behind the cap on the end case.  Google it for more info.

A knackered flywheel makes a god awful clattering noise at idle with the clutch pedal up.  It can easily be heard on diesel engines as well, so you would definitely know if you had that problem.

On roundabouts made of hard/raised surfaces (so more sound reflection) I hear a whine when in second/third gear at something like 3/4krpm. This is also only heard with light throttle input either maintaining constant speed or very light acceleration. Engine temperature seems to make no difference and I don't believe it's gear number related as I'm sure the noise would exist in 1st or 4th too, but these gears round roundabouts are rare to never. The pitch of the noise changes with RPM and seems to disappear when higher throttle inputs are applied (under moderate acceleration) and so never heard during straight driving where rpms are lower for constant speed or higher loads applied during acceleration. Though if I went into a built up area and maintained the RPMs and gears i've mentioned, the noise would be heard reflecting off e.g. a brick wall a meter away.

Its mostly heard by me when coming up to a medium sized roundabout, dropping into 2nd on approach; anticipating a swift exit. Maintaining speed round the roundabout at 3-4k rpm the whine is at its loudest disappears soon as I put my foot down or slow to sub 2.5krpm

Not really audible in the cabin but sounds like the right hand side of the engine bay and easily heard bouncing off heard surfaces with the window down.

My though was either gearbox or turbo whine. I've owned my car for a year and its always been there, never gotten any better or worse so now consider it a "feature". If anyone has any ideas or similar experiences I'd be interested to hear them!

thanks for the reply both, the whine im getting i can only hear at slower speeds so in the lower gears, it might be doing it at higher speeds in the higher gears but i cant hear it due to road noise or other surrounding noises.  It seems to vary on how loud it is i think but its difficult to hear with an intake and my backbox delete, but it is definitely there.

The clutch noise im getting, it can clunk a little, which varies in loudness the faster you push it down, the noise im concerned about is like a faint rattling/grumbly noise, thats the best i can describe it im afraid, it is quite quiet so i cant hear it very well.

As regards to my flywheel, i dont think its anywhere near that bad, but when i had it checked out, on the bite point it would make like a juddering noise? and was told it does sound a little worn but nothing to be concerned about.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:48:24 pm by sean.smithy94 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 03:31:23 pm »
Sounds normal to me tbh.  The GTI box's gears are cut differently depending on the gear and torque handling.  You don't tend to hear 5th / 6th as they are smaller and are a full helical cut, which is quieter.

The big gears in this pic are the noisy ones, usually reverse & 1st-3rd, and the smaller gears 4th-6th are the quiet ones.

Offline dadjokes

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 08:19:31 pm »

Thank you for this excellent description! My 57 plate does this exact same noise - 2nd coming off roundabouts there's a high-pitched rising whine. Unless I missed another topic where you describe your gearbox exploding, I take it nothing bad has happened since this post?

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 12:36:05 pm »

Thank you for this excellent description! My 57 plate does this exact same noise - 2nd coming off roundabouts there's a high-pitched rising whine. Unless I missed another topic where you describe your gearbox exploding, I take it nothing bad has happened since this post?

Nope, no explosions!  :signLOL:

Still not any better or worse, now 2.5 years in my ownership. Have had a gearbox oil change amongst other maintenance since this post too.
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline dadjokes

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 09:15:42 pm »
Glad to hear it! I take it the gearbox oil change didn't make a difference?