Make a donation

Author Topic: Tarmac Repairs - Sinking!!  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Tarmac Repairs - Sinking!!
« on: June 04, 2017, 05:28:56 pm »
A bit random this, but in the right section..... Why is that when the roads and paths are repaired / refilled after excavation by the utilities people, they only fill the tarmac so that it's just flush with the adjacent tarmac? We know that a month or so later, it will sink and leave a dip as it all settles. I can't work out the logic. Why not add a wee bit extra to allow for the settlement???

Any construction / civil engineering experts have the answer? Curious...... :thinking:

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
Re: Tarmac Repairs - Sinking!!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 06:28:05 pm »
I agree with you! There's no sealing to the edges either, so as soon as there is rain and or frost / ice - it starts crumbling. All down to money, I'm sure. Why do a proper job, when bodging it will keep your team employed on taxpayers money for years?

Edition 30 - no. 1387

willni

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 07:16:51 pm »
It's down to the discretion of the repairer tbh, probably more people of that'll do in your area

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 04:03:18 pm »
Because Britain.

I've been in Italy when a road needed repair, and they just closed the road and got the f'ck on with it.  3 mile section done in 1 week - as in, completely dug up and relaid.
In this country they would take 10 years to plan it, and then do it at a rate of 1 mile a month.  And it would be a patchwork special covered with chippings. And they would pay a number of incompetent, over priced contractors to repeat their sh*tty work many times over.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D