Make a donation

Author Topic: MK7 Stalks  (Read 4570 times)

Offline Hendry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
MK7 Stalks
« on: June 05, 2017, 12:51:20 pm »
Will Golf mk7 stalks fit and work in a mk5? They seem to have the same layout and functions as mk5 ones, only they look nicer and more up to date, is it just the actual cosmetics of the stalks that have changed or is the fitting and connection totally incompatible with them?

I was sort of guessing they might be similar because a lot of VWs and Seats which originally had the same stalks as the mk5 Golf have now had the mk7 style ones fitted as part of the midlife facelift on them. Just need a definite answer before I splash out.

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
Re: MK7 Stalks
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 01:21:30 pm »
No
VW Golf 2.0 Gtd 140 4motion (2005)
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline Hendry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 02:31:28 pm »
No
:grin: Straight to the point lol have you tried it, is that how you know?

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • Redditch
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 02:42:33 pm »
They are different, you have both stalks separate, mk7 have both stalks. Different wiring and module as well
STAGING/NEEDLE SWEEP ON ALL WHITE CLOCKS
LIT NEEDLESS, MILES TO EMPTY
GENUINE CAN GATEWAY - SUPPLY AND FIT
CRUISE CONTROL -  SUPPLY AND FIT ALL VW's
CLOCKS CODING - VW SEAT SKODA UP TO 2014
SCIROCCO CLOCKS CONVERSION

Offline Hendry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 11:53:18 am »
They are different, you have both stalks separate, mk7 have both stalks. Different wiring and module as well

So what about cars which had mk5 stalks to begin with and now have mk7 stalks such as Seat Ibizas, Skoda Rapid, Seat Toledo, surely they must fit a mk5, cant see them totally changing everything on those cars just to allow a cosmetically different style of stalks.

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • Redditch
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 01:41:36 pm »
Feel free to buy one and test it mate
STAGING/NEEDLE SWEEP ON ALL WHITE CLOCKS
LIT NEEDLESS, MILES TO EMPTY
GENUINE CAN GATEWAY - SUPPLY AND FIT
CRUISE CONTROL -  SUPPLY AND FIT ALL VW's
CLOCKS CODING - VW SEAT SKODA UP TO 2014
SCIROCCO CLOCKS CONVERSION

Offline Hendry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 08:41:59 pm »
Feel free to buy one and test it mate

I may well do, theres a brand new genuine mk7 cruise control retrofit (boxed like its a complete kit you can buy from a dealers) which includes both stalks, if they dont work I should be able to sell and recoup most of my expense.

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=spig1uquvfdub3rsgirf9nskd0&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 12:29:59 am »
It wont fit the mk5.....  you seem hell bent on ignoring sound advice above  :thinking:

Offline Hendry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 11:54:46 am »
It wont fit the mk5.....  you seem hell bent on ignoring sound advice above  :thinking:

Seat Ibiza, VW Polo, Seat Toledo, Skoda Rapid ALL had mk5 stalks up till about 2014, and now have mk7 stalks, they surely havent completely redesigned everything on those cars to fit stalks that look slightly different, so must be the same fitting as the mk5 ones so must surely work? even if the mk7 ones are a different fitting, surely the mk7 style ones from these cars will fit and work?

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 01:20:35 pm »

Seat Ibiza, VW Polo, Seat Toledo, Skoda Rapid ALL had mk5 stalks up till about 2014, and now have mk7 stalks, they surely havent completely redesigned everything on those cars to fit stalks that look slightly different, so must be the same fitting as the mk5 ones so must surely work? even if the mk7 ones are a different fitting, surely the mk7 style ones from these cars will fit and work?

They surely have.......
I gave you the short answer "No".... I have mk7 stalks sat in my bedroom, totally different.
Alex @olsen-72  gave you the longer answer (he knows what he's doing)
Rich @rich83 also has given you the answer.....

Anyhow, go buy a set and see how you get on

As for the other post.... VW MFSW MK7 Polo steering wheel in Mk5
Not even going there...sorry!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 01:25:14 pm by ady-uk »
VW Golf 2.0 Gtd 140 4motion (2005)
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline Hendry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 06:25:54 pm »

They surely have.......
I gave you the short answer "No".... I have mk7 stalks sat in my bedroom, totally different.
Alex @olsen-72  gave you the longer answer (he knows what he's doing)
Rich @rich83 also has given you the answer.....

Anyhow, go buy a set and see how you get on

As for the other post.... VW MFSW MK7 Polo steering wheel in Mk5
Not even going there...sorry!

Err OK then. I thought the steering wheel was straight forward, there was a topic on this forum about fitting a mk7 GTI steering wheel into a mk5, and Eddie-NL put a post up seeming to suggest sourcing a Polo GTi one which is the same wheel as the mk7 GTi but with different buttons minus the cruise buttons on the wheel would work and illuminate, was just checking that was the case, dont see whats difficult about answering that question?

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 07:59:19 pm »
No the stalks will not fit.

If you want a mk7 style MFSW you'll need to search one down from the Scirocco. Then depending the year of your mk5 you'll need to change steering wheel electronic to module "CH".. cruise control stalk to "G", new wiper stalk without trip buttons and also possible a new tow ring for the steering wheel.
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline mikezs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 01:25:26 pm »

I've got a 2009 Seat Ibiza (current shape, pre-facelift) as well as a 2008 MK5 Gti and the stalks are almost nothing alike apart from they perform the same functions. I know for a fact the polo ones are the same.