Make a donation

Author Topic: Polo GTI Steering Wheel  (Read 3009 times)

Offline Hendry

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Polo GTI Steering Wheel
« on: June 06, 2017, 12:25:26 pm »
Been looking at upgrading the non MFSW wheel in my Jetta for a while now, looked at mk5 GTi and mk6 GTi wheels, still really expensive, for some reason the mk7 GTi stuff is much cheaper (same with the mk7 GTi gear knob) so ive done a wee search on here and from what I can see the Polo GTi shares the same style of steering wheel as the mk7 Golf GTi, only the Polo one doesnt have cruise buttons (ideal as the cruise buttons are on my indicator stalk anyway) and also the Polo wheel is the only one that will fit straight into a mk5 and will illuminate the MFSW buttons with NO modification as long as the correct steering wheel controller is fitted.

Just looking to check, is my understanding of the above correct? and if so how can I tell if its a Polo wheel which will definitely work inc illumination (originally thought the lack of cruise buttons would be the giveaway but seen Scirocco wheels without cruise buttons which apparently dont work inc illumination in a mk5) and also which steering wheel controller do I need, is it the good old 549CH one needed to make a mk6 GTi flat bottom wheel work in a mk5?

Cheers.

willni

Re: Polo GTI Steering Wheel
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 09:28:48 am »
Did you ever get an answer for this?

Offline RobC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 08:51:46 am »
Did either of you get a definitive answer to this? From what Ive researched what Hendry suggests is correct, that the Polo GTi non-cruise is the best steering wheel for the Mk5 as it will illuminate and works with the CH controller.

Ive also seen a suggestion from @Christiank that the facelift Scirocco wheels will work with CH controller as they are still PQ platform, although unsure on the details of this as from @SI-R32 information he had a Scirocco wheel & these didnt illuminate - could the facelift be different for some reason, assuming Si had an earlier wheel?

Look forward to hearing people thoughts or own experiences as looking at doing this as the next upgrade on my Edition 30.

TIA

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 08:50:45 pm »
You can use facelift Scirocco or Sharan steering wheels for this to work - They come with red illumination and not white. Only possible to have buttons with out ACC or CC working without adding and extra module for steering electronics - but if you do add this module CC buttons will work too.

This is my MK5

Polo GTI facelift steering wheel require 1 wire to make the button illumination work I think -  not to sure how easy this wire is to add.. Never done it.
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2019, 08:57:59 pm »
Just some minor detail for this thread!

Button illumination will require wire from all wheels mentioned, it's doable. functions of the buttons will all work on the non ACC and CC.

Just checked my retrofit notes, never really uses laptop these days since I'm renovating our house - but had it turned on to check it now
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button