Make a donation

Author Topic: Suggest a car for a mate..!  (Read 5370 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Suggest a car for a mate..!
« on: June 07, 2017, 08:11:30 pm »
Evening all.

I'm trying to help a mate find a decent car, or at least help him avoid a minefield and big bills.

The Brief:

Around 3k budget
He's not a modder
He's not mechanically inclined
He doesn't want big running costs
He wants something nippy
He wants something 'nice'

Problem is, he's looking at the usual suspects - A3s, mk5s, etc. And there's a hell of a lot of sh*t out there. Yes, if that clean 140 derv with all the stamps and the belt and everything else came along, he'd have it. But they're just not there at that price, are they? Everyone wants one. Lots are neglected. Seems I'm looking for a unicorn.

Can you help me broaden his horizons? BMW? Seat?

Talk to me!

willni

Re: Suggest a car for a mate..!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 08:13:58 pm »
Skoda Fabia VRS, Polo GTI, Fiesta ST can all be picked up half decent

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 08:19:42 pm »
Skoda Fabia VRS, Polo GTI, Fiesta ST can all be picked up half decent
I forgot to add.. he's a big lad. I think the smallest he'd want is A3/mk5 size.

And as a broad brush, I've kept my searches within 10 years old. The older stuff like the Fabias (assuming you mean the ASZ mk1) might be the kind of thing that'd need an owner to get stuck in on repairs/maintenance quite soon.

To be fair, the clean end of that generation of VAG is now overpriced IMO anyway. Just because of what they are on paper.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 09:57:19 am »
Mk4 PD130?  MK4 V6 4Motion?

3k gets him into a barge too.  A mate at work picked up a Passat W8 for £1K recently, yep, 1000 coins! Unbelievable.   Can also get old bargey Bimmers for that too, and possibly a Ronin shape A8.

I hate to say it, but £3K isn't really enough for what he wants, unless he's prepared to get something older and 'off the radar' of most people.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Holmsie

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2017, 11:24:27 am »
If he want's something 'nice', he should look at Saab, Volvo or Alfa as they have lots of spec for the price compared to their German rivals.

£3k could get a half decent 9-3 Aero saloon. A piece of cake to remap too (the petrols are anyway).

Although for that money, he'll have to decide how nice he wants it compared to how much he doesn't want big repair bills... E.g. a 3k Toyota or a 3k Alfa are totally different ownership propositions.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 12:38:22 pm »
If he want's something 'nice', he should look at Saab, Volvo or Alfa as they have lots of spec for the price compared to their German rivals.

£3k could get a half decent 9-3 Aero saloon. A piece of cake to remap too (the petrols are anyway).

Although for that money, he'll have to decide how nice he wants it compared to how much he doesn't want big repair bills... E.g. a 3k Toyota or a 3k Alfa are totally different ownership propositions.

They certainly are.  Alfa are very spendy on maintenance.  My old 147 2.0 T spark absolutely drank oil (even 10W60) which fouled up the expensive spark plugs (x8) regularly.  Cambelts are £500+ on them because of the balancer stuff.  If you need a spare key, that's another £500 through the dealer. Wasn't great on fuel, trim bits were flimsy, the gear shifter broke numerous times and the battery kept going flat.

It drove well though, and the engine was great, even if it was FIAT derived.  Much smoother and gruntier than it's German equivalent.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 03:43:21 pm »
Thanks guys, pretty much confirms my thoughts and what I'd told him.

Ronin is one hell of a film by the way!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 08:08:16 pm »

Just looked on ebay. He can get a Ronin S8 for £3k  :happy2:

I had a Ronin M5 (E34) for a short while a long time ago.  Frickin epic cars!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 08:39:50 pm »

Just looked on ebay. He can get a Ronin S8 for £3k  :happy2:

I had a Ronin M5 (E34) for a short while a long time ago.  Frickin epic cars!
I think he'd last about 6 weeks before he got tired of quenching that V8

It's definitely a car for an enthusiast. Which he isn't, but he is learning.

A guy in my local was telling me all about the 'bargain' B6 S4 he'd picked up a while ago (same 4.2 pretty much IIRC?). I didn't let on that I knew a little bit about cars, just let him tell me all about the power and all the rest of it and humoured his enthusiasm. In my head I was thinking "too good to be true".

Fast forward a few weeks and he tells me it's off the road - needs chain/chains, whatever, and would be a fair few hundred to put right. Which he didn't tell me he didn't have, but I got that impression.

I feel kind of responsible for making sure my pal doesn't get carried away with something that might be a handful. Although I did give him a disclaimer - I won't guarantee him a perfect car, but I'll try my best to help him avoid a lemon!

Speaking of which, obviously this needs a belt, which I'd kick out of the asking price, but is this also too good to be true (on paper)? ....

Link imminent..

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2017, 08:41:03 pm »

Offline MeatHelmet1981

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 10:53:30 pm »
I'm quite a broad lad, 16st and about 5'11" and had a RenaultSport Twingo 133.

Not the quickest car in a straight line, but if you kept it on the boil, it was bloody quick in the twisties.

I drove it across Saddleworth Moor with my father-in-law in tow in his Mk1 Focus RS and he said he was struggling to stick with me. and he had 100hp on me and turbo and is a much better driver than me!

Great cars, but cheap and plasticy inside. Comfy seats though, and a brilliant chassis. Based on the old 172 if I'm not mistaken.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 09:59:36 am »
Twingo?  Is that some kind of Twiglet & Pingu cross breed?

Offline MeatHelmet1981

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 10:22:55 am »

Great, underestimated car. Just a bit down on power.

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 12:20:53 pm »
He'll get a better car staying away from the German brands at that price point, I'd go Japanese for the right mix of reliability and niceness.

Lexus IS200, Mazda 6, Accords and Avensis Probably lots at that price point.

An NA Petrol engine would be better a diesel for reliability and service cost, and probably cost less to buy, for a small increase in fuel costs. What sort of yearly mileage do they do?

Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline splashalot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • My Ride: MY2008 Mk5 Manual 5dr GTI Tornado Red
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 12:43:23 pm »
He'll get a better car staying away from the German brands at that price point, I'd go Japanese for the right mix of reliability and niceness.

Lexus IS200, Mazda 6, Accords and Avensis Probably lots at that price point......

Agree with this ^.  What about a CL9 Accord?  Not sure if UK got the 2.4 144kw engine, but my wife has one and it is a gem.  Ultimate performance is almost line-ball with my GTI, but delivered in a completely different manner.  Snag one with the 6-speed manual and you have a surprisingly refined, competent and enjoyable sleeper.