Make a donation

Author Topic: Considering selling Pirelli, whats the market like?  (Read 5946 times)

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
Considering selling Pirelli, whats the market like?
« on: June 19, 2017, 01:49:33 pm »
I'm in this position as I'd like to fund a new interest in motorcycles and this is sitting in the garage languishing. I lease a Mk7 GTI so have a decent daily also.

What's the market like for these just now? I searched and found old ads that either have the price removed or are so old they're meaningless.

Brief description here, please note all work carried by JKM Portsmouth.

Early 50's for mileage, 3 door DSG in silver. £10,000 pounds worth of invoices for parts and labour relating to modifications. All service stamps present regardless of mileage and invoices for servicing. A very thick file is to go to the new owner.

If it seems to be worthwhile I'll create an ad here with new photo's etc.

• Revo stage 2
  • S3 intercooler (standard one is included)
  • Revo Camcoat intake (standard intake included)
  • APR fuel pump (standard one is included
  • Milltek TBE
  • Wavetrac LSD
  • Bilstein B12 kit
  • Eibach F & R ARB's
  • Audi S3 rear brake
  • AP Racing 6 piston calipers and floating rotors - bought as full AP kit from BG Developments, £2300
  • OZ Allegerita wheels, 18". No spacers for front caliper clearance.
  • Revo DSG map, stage 1
  • S2T black anodized aluminum gear paddles
  • Pirelli wheels included with new centre caps. Fresh refurb in anthracite
  • S3 front calipers with VAG discs and DS2500 pads included - off the car, boxed
  • Cam belt changed a few months ago
  • Recent MOT and service
  • Polar FIS
  • New Michelin PS4 tyres, all round
  • Audi TTRS lower arms for camber adjustment - brand new VAG parts
  • Whiteline Anti-Lift Kit
  • Full set of Revo engine mounts (originals included)
  • Revo SPS switch included
  • New Yuasa battery as of 22/6/17

I may have missed some bits but you get the idea.  :happy2:

Apologies if this comes across as another pointless 'thinking of selling thread', my intent to sell is serious once I have a measure of the market and I've worked out what I need to do to prepare the car. I'd really like to leave it as is since it's a very well rounded project that want's in no particular area and has proven to be reliable. To break it down would be disappointing although possibly necessary.

There will be some odd photo's of bit's and pieces on here that will show up with a search I'm sure.

:happy2:

« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 10:29:52 am by flashp »

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
Re: Considering selling Pirelli, whats the market like?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 08:49:27 pm »
Depends how quick you want to sell. If you want to sell quicker i'd go through the trouble of putting it back to standard as a standard car will sell quicker than a modded car and you'd probably recoupe most of the money you spent on the parts if you sold them on here or eBay etc. If you don't mind how long the car stays for, considering the mileage and spec and all the modifications it's had I think 12k is a fair price looking at what's on AutoTrader at the moment.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 09:28:20 pm »
Depends how quick you want to sell. If you want to sell quicker i'd go through the trouble of putting it back to standard as a standard car will sell quicker than a modded car and you'd probably recoupe most of the money you spent on the parts if you sold them on here or eBay etc. If you don't mind how long the car stays for, considering the mileage and spec and all the modifications it's had I think 12k is a fair price looking at what's on AutoTrader at the moment.
Thanks for your thoughts  :happy2:
I found one or two around for between £9500 and £10500.
Some of the parts are easy and economical to get off such as wheels, brakes and intake which could raise good money with minimum outlay on labour for removal. There's probably £2200 thereabouts on those three items.

Ironically some wouldn't buy a modified car but will then go about it on a shoestring budget on their driveway after unknowingly or knowingly buying a 'returned to standard' car. Not knocking the individual and their means but demonstrating the fickle world of modifying is all  :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 09:31:31 pm by flashp »

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 10:37:06 pm »
Your car must be a real weapon and a total steel at the sort of price quoted for the performance. You would have to spend serious money for something so well sorted

I have a manual Pirelli with 70k motorway miles and it still feels a nice bit of kit

Good luck with the sale
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK

Offline hicksyyy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 07:04:34 am »
I bought my pirelli on 72k miles in November, completely standard but a good spec for £9400. I  have a quick nose on the market once a week or so and seen some up for £8000 all the way up to £15000! most have been sitting around the £9500 but that was for standard car.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2008 Edition 30
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 08:12:58 am »
No disrespect meant to any owners but its not a car id consider paying a premium for as i dont think its special enough.
I considered an edition 30 when i bought mine but again could not justify spending another £2k to do so.
The standard Gti is a fine car, i think modifications scare people as the owner obviously isnt happy with the performance etc so they make it go faster, stop quicker and this projects an image of how the car may be driven.
Good luck with the sale though, yours is a fine looking car.
2008 Edition 30, R-Tech Stage 1 plus many other mods.

willni

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 08:52:19 am »
No disrespect meant to any owners but its not a car id consider paying a premium for as i dont think its special enough.
I considered an edition 30 when i bought mine but again could not justify spending another £2k to do so.
The standard Gti is a fine car, i think modifications scare people as the owner obviously isnt happy with the performance etc so they make it go faster, stop quicker and this projects an image of how the car may be driven.

It's more modifications scare people because the prospective buyer doesn't know whether the mods have been done in a that'll done fashion or money's no object. Then the possible reliability issues and the car was owned by an enthusiast and driven in such a way.

Saying that the car would be a steal at £12k for someone after a car in the 300bhp range, personally I'd break the car there's a lot of high value parts that hold their value very well.

Offline chimp400

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 46
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: 2008 Edition 30
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 11:11:57 am »
The modifications would not bother me to be honest as most guys on this forum seem to use nothing but the best quality parts.
2008 Edition 30, R-Tech Stage 1 plus many other mods.

Offline unzippy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 11:15:27 am »
A 50k mile standard Pirelli would go for more.  If you are lucky you can then sell the mods to the new owner :wink:

willni

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 11:29:25 am »
A 50k mile standard Pirelli would go for more.  If you are lucky you can then sell the mods to the new owner :wink:

Lol this is my completely standard never modified Pirelli oh by the way would you like to buy these mods that suspiciously fit it  :P

Offline P222SAX

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 11:56:45 am »
I bought mine about 2 months ago. 74000 miles Revo stage 2 with Revo induction, and Milltek (319bhp) in pretty mint condition tbh and paid £9995 gladly.

Your spec looks like you could go for at least £15000 Imo

Edit:: Put yer P alloys back on and sell the Oz's seperately
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 11:59:11 am by P222SAX »
2008 - GTI PIRELLI - Revo Stage 2 - 329bhp-323nmt

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 12:56:58 pm »

Couldn't disagree more.

Not specail enough?? This is a Mk5 Golf GTI forum and It's a Pirrelli so even more limited (222 IIRC) than the Eddy and flashps car is at the top of that pile.

If you're not into modding cars then yes buying a modified car would scare you but it's got nowt to do with how it's driven. A well maintained and modified car is going to a much better and safer bet than a standard car thats been owned by Joe Bloggs who hasn't watched for Wing/Arch rust, hasn't checked the PCV or DV, has never changed the Cam follower etc etc.

The best part about a forum member selling a car is you can look through their previous posts and build thread, if available, and get a great idea of the car, it's mods, the time and money spent, how it's looked after so on and so on.

I'd be uber tempted to buy this in a heartbeat for £12K if I could justify 2 modded cars. Stick it up for £13,999 IMHO as is (with all the standard parts thrown in if you have them)....I think it's worth it......one of the best examples around.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline hicksyyy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 03:22:09 pm »
does the pirelli with the mods drive better than the mk7 ? would be hard to let the Pirelli go if you've done all the hard work on it over the mk7?.... would be more inclined to keep it if you can

Offline slix

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 38
  • Stage 1 ED30 Owner
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 06:18:09 pm »
I would advertise on here and pistonheads for 12k as it is and give it a month and see where it leads. I would buy a modded car as you save a lot of money and hassle buying the parts and fitting yourself.

Then if no bite then slowly put back to standard with the easy bits and slowly lower the price as parts come off.
Stage "1.5" ED30 [330BHP] Rtech

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 10:15:13 am »
does the pirelli with the mods drive better than the mk7 ? would be hard to let the Pirelli go if you've done all the hard work on it over the mk7?.... would be more inclined to keep it if you can

I have a Mk7 GTI as well so I can answer this in a few words...
The Mk7 is smooth, slightly soft and quite capable.
The Mk5 has a hard edge and is super responsive.

I'm selling to buy a new Triumph Street Triple RS. Up to getting my bike license there was no car that would have me selling this, there still isn't. The bike is in a different league for thrills and speed though.

I will miss it, a lot. I probably won't repeat this scale of work on a car again.

In parts alone at today's prices there is £9831 in this car. Labour is on top of this. My earlier calculation was incorrect.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 03:20:14 pm by flashp »