Make a donation

Author Topic: Claying my car  (Read 5692 times)

Offline jaylufc17

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 48
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Claying my car
« on: June 19, 2017, 04:29:32 pm »
Hi All, looking to go clay my car this summer don't know too much about it but my mates TTS and MK6 Golf R look brilliant after they did there's...

Just wondering what the best products in your opinions are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willni

Re: Claying my car
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 04:37:31 pm »
Get a clay mitt, they're just as good and if you drop them you can rinse them and reuse. Claybars are quite easy to drop.
Then after you've washed your car resoap or snowfoam the car and rub the clay bar across the paint without pressure (they work on number of passes not pressure) then feel the paint with your hand and it should be smooth as glass, or for complete decontamination get a plastic sandwich bag and put your hand inside and feel the paint it's easier to feel the smaller stuff then.  :smiley:

Offline SiimpleHarry

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 03:54:35 pm »
I've had really good results with meguiars clay bar. Some say you need to use a special "clay lubricant" but soapy water works fine.

4ndy

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 05:42:05 pm »
I tried the clay microfibre cloths but the "clay" side is black which makes any dirt,grit you remove impossible to see
 Good old fashioned clay bar for me. A decent clay bar 80g plus will be enough if not dropped. :smiley:

willni

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 07:08:18 pm »
I tried the clay microfibre cloths but the "clay" side is black which makes any dirt,grit you remove impossible to see
 Good old fashioned clay bar for me. A decent clay bar 80g plus will be enough if not dropped. :smiley:

On the black ones it turns them brown when they're done (well they both go brown but it looks more black on the white)  :happy2: mines only nearly finished after 30 or so badly contaminated cars.

Offline eric87

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 07:20:04 am »
Bilt Hamber clay all day long for me.

Offline ashtdi

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100160.0.html
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 08:14:15 pm »
I tried one of the clay mitts but i prefer the clay bar

My Build Thread - Golf MK5 PD105 1.9 TDI GTB2260VK 260BHP | 420 FTLB
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,100160.0.html

Offline gingerguild

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 11:30:27 am »
I struggle with clay mitts.  The results on first glance appear good but because you tend to reuse it, you can never be sure you have a contaminant free surface.  Oldschool clay bars for me.  Personally I use Megs.  Make sure you start with a fine clay as there will be less chance of marring.  Many swear by clay lube but it's not always necessary.  I tend to start with water, see how that turns out then move up to soapy water, diluted Quick Detailer then undiluted if there is still marring and catching.  If you do impart marring, some mild polish such as Autoglym SRP will get that right off with minimal effort.  If you're just starting out, remember that claying your paintwork will strip pretty much any protection off so if you have waxed, sealed etc you'll need to reapply afterwards.

Offline Barberjetta

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 12:32:34 pm »
I always have good results with the Maguire's clay you can get in Halfords.

Offline samba2321

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2018, 07:54:16 am »
Is there any products I should clean the car with first before attempting to clay it?
Admin Notice: Image Too LARGE!

willni

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 09:12:28 am »
Is there any products I should clean the car with first before attempting to clay it?

Not if you don't want to  :smiley: you can opt for a iron and fallout remover ( I use IronX by Carpro ) it will just take off some of the contaminants before you clay it and ones the claybar can't get, so extends the life of your clay bar and offers up some more depth, gloss and takes it back to the factory colour. Yes contaminants actually change your cars colour generally adding a brown tinge to the paint  :scared:

Offline samba2321

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 09:39:02 am »

Not if you don't want to  :smiley: you can opt for a iron and fallout remover ( I use IronX by Carpro ) it will just take off some of the contaminants before you clay it and ones the claybar can't get, so extends the life of your clay bar and offers up some more depth, gloss and takes it back to the factory colour. Yes contaminants actually change your cars colour generally adding a brown tinge to the paint  :scared:

Cheers, think I'll order some fallout remover as well & give it a go next weekend.
Admin Notice: Image Too LARGE!

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 12:30:05 pm »
Carpro do one called trix it’s tar spot remover and iron x in one

Hunty

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 11:53:56 am »
You can use Carpro IronX as the clay lube. Two birds with one stone! Mitts are good as they are really quick to use. You can do a car in 20mins. But they aren't the deep clean that you'll get when using a clay bar. Just use plenty of lubrication and you'll be fine. Enjoy!