Make a donation

Author Topic: ap coilover leak  (Read 3032 times)

Offline Jayy26

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
ap coilover leak
« on: June 20, 2017, 01:00:01 pm »
my drivers side ap coilover has a small leak,no patch on the floor but the damper has oil on it

can you buy the top seals or?

Offline Jayy26

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: ap coilover leak
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 12:04:31 am »
bump

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 08:40:20 am »
Probably best to ask AP rather than on here.

Offline Jayy26

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 03:01:42 pm »
just didnt think i would be the only person whos had a leaking shock and can imagine contacting them directly would be expensive

Offline Jayy26

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 11:58:47 am »
im from the Sheffield area can anybody point me in a direction for spares for coilover at all?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 12:09:43 pm »
I've seen on the TFSI facebook group recently that someone else had the same problem, and they had to send the kit back to Germany for warranty evaluation.

At that price range, those dampers are not rebuildable so you can't get parts for them.

Perhaps time to upgrade to Relentless/BC Racing.  I've heard they are excellent with aftersales parts and customer service.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 01:35:45 pm »
I've seen on the TFSI facebook group recently that someone else had the same problem, and they had to send the kit back to Germany for warranty evaluation.

At that price range, those dampers are not rebuildable so you can't get parts for them.

Perhaps time to upgrade to Relentless/BC Racing.  I've heard they are excellent with aftersales parts and customer service.
Part of the KW 'family' so yeah, not great with after-sales going by most things I've heard.

I almost went for BCs. Definitely one to consider if and when my Vogtlands give up.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 02:30:41 pm »

Part of the KW 'family' so yeah, not great with after-sales going by most things I've heard.

I almost went for BCs. Definitely one to consider if and when my Vogtlands give up.

They used to be superb when I had some V3s way back in 2007/8ish.  They were new to the scene then and bent over backwards to help out.  Now they are all corporate and 'by the book'.  I remember when a spring perch seized on mine, I rang up KW UK and they were like "Aaaah, we'll bung you a couple in the post mate".  They're not like that now, unless you spend £3K on some 3 way clubsports....

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2017, 07:06:57 pm »

They used to be superb when I had some V3s way back in 2007/8ish.  They were new to the scene then and bent over backwards to help out.  Now they are all corporate and 'by the book'.  I remember when a spring perch seized on mine, I rang up KW UK and they were like "Aaaah, we'll bung you a couple in the post mate".  They're not like that now, unless you spend £3K on some 3 way clubsports....
This is true, and a factor in why I went for a ~£500 set of coilies rather than 4 figures. If I get three years out of them I'll just buy another set! It was a gamble - they might have been crap - but they actually ride quite nicely. Can't complain really. The price will undoubtedly dictate just how long they maintain a good ride!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2017, 09:24:05 am »

This is true, and a factor in why I went for a ~£500 set of coilies rather than 4 figures. If I get three years out of them I'll just buy another set! It was a gamble - they might have been crap - but they actually ride quite nicely. Can't complain really. The price will undoubtedly dictate just how long they maintain a good ride!

Indeed mate.  It's the lateral forces cheap dampers can't handle for long.  I'm not sure how many people realise just how much force is on a damper when you sling it hard into a corner.  It can actually bend!  Hence why Bilstein came up with the 'thick stem' monotube design as it's much, much more robust in the corners.....but even they wear out and leak sooner than you'd like.   As with everything car related.... mechanical sympathy = longer lifespan!