Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear Wiper & Boot Handle Intermittent Problems  (Read 1677 times)

Offline DaveyBoyWonder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
Rear Wiper & Boot Handle Intermittent Problems
« on: June 23, 2017, 06:43:17 pm »
Hi all.
A few weeks ago I replace the boot latch mechanism as the old one died (wouldn't lock). A week or two after that the wiper started doing weird things and has now stopped working altogether which has coincided with the boot working intermittently.

The boot seems to be ok if you get in and use the emergency release. I can then close the boot/lock the car/unlock it/open the boot absolutely fine for a few minutes until it fails again.

What do we think? Garage said the boot handles on these are a known weak point and that it needs replacing. Sound about right? I think the wiper had been on its way out for a while so might not be related...

Oh and the boot handle on my car is pretty much immaculate - just a case of taking the chrome VW badge off and sticking it on the new one (loads I've seen on eBay are listed as working but are cheap as the whiteworm has got to the chrome)...

Cheers
Dave

Offline DaveyBoyWonder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Rear Wiper & Boot Handle Intermittent Problems
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 07:18:44 am »
Any ideas??? Replaced the boot handle last night and no change so I assume it must be a dodgy wiring connection. Any clues before I give in and take it into vw?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 01:59:36 pm »
Must be bad wiring as a new latch mechanism usually sorts boot related issues.   I think it's the right hand side loom that can develop abrasion / metal fatigue related shorts and breaks.  Might want to peel back the rubber boot and see what the cables look like.

Any fault codes?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline DaveyBoyWonder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 05:35:22 pm »
Not scanned it and the wires (as far as I can see!) look fine. I'll take a better look at the wires tomorrow...