Make a donation

Author Topic: Limp Mode Activated  (Read 13089 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Limp Mode Activated
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 12:48:49 pm »
I'm afraid I agree with Niki mate.  4-5 threads is not sufficient, and titanium being way harder than aluminium, they will just pull right out.  Were the threads in the chain cover in good shape before you took it to R Tech?  Do you suspect they over tightened them and they then pulled out under the load or something?  These things are always your word against their's unfortunately.

The thing with pressure....think of it as resistance.  Oil pumps, turbos, fuel pumps, meth pumps etc...... none of them create pressure.  They create flow.  Pressure is the resistance to flow, and it's that 'resistance' which brings Newton's third law into the equation, which is: "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction".  So when Niki commands and extra 55 bar of pressure from the pump (that's 800psi of additional resistance!!), that is a LOT of additional force on the bolts.

Also remember that VW designed the pump mounting hardware to sustain 110 bar, max.  When you push things beyond their design brief, you're on borrowed time.

What I don't agree with, if it's true, is how you were treated as a customer.  I don't know the guy, but he has a good reputation and I can't imagine him swearing at you down the phone unless he was provoked?  Professional suicide!

Anyway, get yourself a new chain cover and move on mate.  Bin that silly sensor cover, I hate those stupid, ugly, pointless things  :happy2:
why would they pull right out if the when they were secured by myself and I'm confident in doing so?.

Imho there is nothing wrong with fitting titanium bolts into aluminium as long as you hand tighten them up making sure you don't cross thread as same with oem bolts, you can still strip the thread either way!.

The threads were perfectly fine before this happened as I always push the pump home then hand tighten before using a spanner and as you will all know I had issue with lag or boost a while back so had to remove the pump a couple of times to trial and error and finally found the used pump being the cause so swapped the VIS internals over to my original pump and power was back up again.
I also understand the physics of it all but imo there was nothing wrong with the way I fitted this on BUT let's leave it there as I don't want it to escalate as Niki mapped the car to an awesome spec and don't wish for any name calling or pointing fingers anymore.
Also, No I didn't provoke him as all I said over the phone was the threads are stripped and two bolts have popped out and in he's own words he said on Facebook were "I spat my dummy out" which he certainly did and that was more upsetting than what happened to my car  :sad1: as to me it was an easy fix and not a knackered cam!! Vis internals :scared: it was Niki who posted up on Facebook and people making judgements and comments about the owner aka me.

Oh yeah I ent getting rid of the plate as it gives definition to the engine when the bonnet is open  :P

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 12:59:08 pm »
Mux lets not drag this up again.... The Titanium bolts fit perfectly without any cover or washer..... With a cover the available thread is marginal/on the limit.... Add a washer and its not. Its that simple - all R-Tech did is Torque to spec - i.e. the what is needed to safely hold the HPFP to the casing.

As for the way you were treated - given the support and offer of help & repair you were offered - not a fair account at all.

As I have already said - chalk it up to experience - that your chosen bolts are not suitable for that application - and move on.

@rich83  @rtechniki @vRSAlex
Mux lets not drag this up again.... The Titanium bolts fit perfectly without any cover or washer..... With a cover the available thread is marginal/on the limit.... Add a washer and its not. Its that simple - all R-Tech did is Torque to spec - i.e. the what is needed to safely hold the HPFP to the casing.

As for the way you were treated - given the support and offer of help & repair you were offered - not a fair account at all.

As I have already said - chalk it up to experience - that your chosen bolts are not suitable for that application - and move on.

@rich83  @rtechniki @vRSAlex
still baffles me that even if torqued up they shouldn't have stripped as that's what happened before the pump bolts pulled out  :thinking:

Sorry screaming down the phone at me is offering to resolve this??? No thanks to that's mate. Once someone over steps the line or twlks to me disrespectfully!! That's it will never even let them touch my car and on FACT I don't ever let anyone touch my car but this was one of those times I had no choice or go home fuel wasted and having to book at a very later date.

I know Niki gower knocked off a full £100+ vat for me for the map and dsg and I really appreciated that like ecstatic over the moon as no other tuner would do that for anyone they don't even know but treating a customer that way is totally uncalled for and getting people to sl** me off on fb was even worse!  :sad1:

Maybe because I helped a member of this forum when his car went belly up due to another garages ways led to this but I'm no psychic.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 01:01:42 pm »
I'm using the Celtemp cover and since the bolts that came with the cover were the same length of the OEM bolts, I just kept the OEM bolts. Been running fine since last November. :confused:
I used the titanium bolts given to me by someone and also two washers on the top of the pump and cannot see how this would of stripped the alloy unless fitted incorrectly  :confused: also some will laugh but those people are a classic example of immature twats imho as they couldn't get anymore freebees off me  :signLOL:  :happy2:

I have no idea what you mean?  Less of the swearing too please.
Sorry about that

Offline MIJ_JAGGER

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 103
  • -Receive: 77
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 02:06:26 pm »
As per pm be very very careful who you swear at. I suggest you edit the post. That's a polite warning.

Anyway OP @Scottymon I'm pretty sure you can't get that sensor as a replacement from vw or tps...still worth a visit or call to confirm 100%

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=k0vb8vhs2ed46mhbkbhi9haih2&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2017, 02:41:09 pm »
Not getting involved. But thanks for the tag.  :signLOL:

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2017, 03:10:39 pm »
Nothing more to be said really is there.

Anyone know where I can get a HPFP shield?

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 16
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 03:16:26 pm »
Nothing more to be said really is there.

Anyone know where I can get a HPFP shield?
Lmfao

Sent from my ZTE B2017G using Tapatalk

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2017, 03:37:27 pm »
Funny how people slate you about parts you've bought from a seller in Romania and then their begging you for advice and information too and then think it's funny regarding what's happened but I guess those are the sheep  :signLOL:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2017, 03:49:18 pm »
still baffles me that even if torqued up they shouldn't have stripped as that's what happened before the pump bolts pulled out  :thinking:

Because thread count governs grip.  Your bolts had a third of the standard grip and couldn't hold back the strain of +55 bar, the end. 

If you wound your head bolts out to 4 or 5 threads into the block, do you think the cylinder head would stay put if you doubled the boost pressure?

It's a complete sh*tter for you mate, but your situation is a text book case of what happens when a bolt doesn't have enough grip. It rips out.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2017, 03:57:31 pm »
So, is there anyway of categorically knowing whether the pump pictured can have the sensor (cracked) replaced without resorting to a full pump purchase.

Anyone done this job? Replace just the sensor?

If worst case and needs pump; how much is the going rate for a second hand one?

P/N: 06F 127 025 H 03330

I'm sorry for the guys having issues with their pumps and the shields.

Cheers for the responses :)

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2017, 03:58:49 pm »
Funny how people slate you about parts you've bought from a seller in Romania and then their begging you for advice and information too and then think it's funny regarding what's happened but I guess those are the sheep  :signLOL:
Wasn't laughing at you bud. In fact I really understand and don't find whats happened to you funny at all and wouldn't wish that to happen to anyone. I think Pesky was just trying to make light of it and I just found his comment amusing. Didnt mean to offend:sorry:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2017, 04:24:32 pm »
So, is there anyway of categorically knowing whether the pump pictured can have the sensor (cracked) replaced without resorting to a full pump purchase.

Personally I would get another pump.  They're pretty cheap second hand and I think 'only' around £200 brand new from VW. 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Craig Stanley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2017, 04:27:36 pm »

I had mine split and was told they can't be bought separately by vw in Poole. Interested to see if anyone has heard different.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2017, 04:29:14 pm »

Because thread count governs grip.  Your bolts had a third of the standard grip and couldn't hold back the strain of +55 bar, the end. 

If you wound your head bolts out to 4 or 5 threads into the block, do you think the cylinder head would stay put if you doubled the boost pressure?

It's a complete sh*tter for you mate, but your situation is a text book case of what happens when a bolt doesn't have enough grip. It rips out.
i don't know pal, spoke to an engineer of 40yrs earlier on and he seems to think the bolts would have held up fine as long as they weren't crossed into the casing  :sad1: never mind though as I'll never let a soul touch my car again unless it's for tyre swaps as I forever state I don't like anyone touching my cars!!!  :sick:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:34:12 pm by r5gtt »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2017, 04:30:10 pm »
@Scottymon I sincerely apologise for making your post into some sort of rant post as that wasn't my intention  :sad1: xx