Make a donation

Author Topic: Limp Mode Activated  (Read 13091 times)

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Limp Mode Activated
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2017, 04:32:57 pm »
So, is there anyway of categorically knowing whether the pump pictured can have the sensor (cracked) replaced without resorting to a full pump purchase.

Anyone done this job? Replace just the sensor?

If worst case and needs pump; how much is the going rate for a second hand one?

P/N: 06F 127 025 H 03330

I'm sorry for the guys having issues with their pumps and the shields.

Cheers for the responses :)
If you're going to replace the complete pump then please please please please make sure you push the pump all the way home and then finger tighten the bolts before you tighten them fully mate.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 04:35:16 pm by r5gtt »

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2017, 04:42:52 pm »
Funny how people slate you about parts you've bought from a seller in Romania and then their begging you for advice and information too and then think it's funny regarding what's happened but I guess those are the sheep  :signLOL:

For anyone confused by this seemingly random and irrelevant post - R5 was one of the first to get VIS internals. I never slated the parts, simply stated there was more risk buying unknown parts from a relatively unknown seller then there was one when buying a tried and tested pump such as Auotech, LOBA or APR. But it appears R5 took this as a slight against him - god knows why. Months later (after trialling and testing with VIS internals) it appears they were indeed up to scratch and performing well. With this in mind, I decided to risk it and buy the internals. I needed some help on the intallation so messaged mux for help - he was very helpfull.

This is what R5 deems to be relevant to todays discussion.

BTW, you have also messaged me for help, I dont throw that back in your face when you make lighthearted jokes. Pot, kettle, black....

Sorry scottymon! New pump IMO

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2017, 04:54:16 pm »
still baffles me that even if torqued up they shouldn't have stripped as that's what happened before the pump bolts pulled out  :thinking:

Because thread count governs grip.  Your bolts had a third of the standard grip and couldn't hold back the strain of +55 bar, the end. 

If you wound your head bolts out to 4 or 5 threads into the block, do you think the cylinder head would stay put if you doubled the boost pressure?

It's a complete sh*tter for you mate, but your situation is a text book case of what happens when a bolt doesn't have enough grip. It rips out.
i don't know pal, spoke to an engineer of 40yrs earlier on and he seems to think the bolts would have held up fine as long as they weren't crossed into the casing  :sad1: never mind though as I'll never let a soul touch my car again unless it's for tyre swaps as I forever state I don't like anyone touching my cars!!!  :sick:

I'm afraid you fell foul of a rather fragile design!  Soft alloy casing + M6 bolts + 4-5 threads + massively increased pump resistance = cheesed out threads I'm afraid.  Anyway, we live and learn.  I think the point has been labored enough, but it's all good info for others I guess.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2017, 04:56:39 pm »
Funny how people slate you about parts you've bought from a seller in Romania and then their begging you for advice and information too and then think it's funny regarding what's happened but I guess those are the sheep  :signLOL:

For anyone confused by this seemingly random and irrelevant post - R5 was one of the first to get VIS internals. I never slated the parts, simply stated there was more risk buying unknown parts from a relatively unknown seller then there was one when buying a tried and tested pump such as Auotech, LOBA or APR. But it appears R5 took this as a slight against him - god knows why. Months later (after trialling and testing with VIS internals) it appears they were indeed up to scratch and performing well. With this in mind, I decided to risk it and buy the internals. I needed some help on the intallation so messaged mux for help - he was very helpfull.

This is what R5 deems to be relevant to todays discussion.

BTW, you have also messaged me for help, I dont throw that back in your face when you make lighthearted jokes. Pot, kettle, black....

Sorry scottymon! New pump IMO

Facebook vs forum smack down  :grin:  I find it all a bit confusing when conversations from FB spill over to the forum, but thanks for clearing that up  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2017, 05:08:49 pm »
still baffles me that even if torqued up they shouldn't have stripped as that's what happened before the pump bolts pulled out  :thinking:

Because thread count governs grip.  Your bolts had a third of the standard grip and couldn't hold back the strain of +55 bar, the end. 

If you wound your head bolts out to 4 or 5 threads into the block, do you think the cylinder head would stay put if you doubled the boost pressure?

It's a complete sh*tter for you mate, but your situation is a text book case of what happens when a bolt doesn't have enough grip. It rips out.
i don't know pal, spoke to an engineer of 40yrs earlier on and he seems to think the bolts would have held up fine as long as they weren't crossed into the casing  :sad1: never mind though as I'll never let a soul touch my car again unless it's for tyre swaps as I forever state I don't like anyone touching my cars!!!  :sick:

I'm afraid you fell foul of a rather fragile design!  Soft alloy casing + M6 bolts + 4-5 threads + massively increased pump resistance = cheesed out threads I'm afraid.  Anyway, we live and learn.  I think the point has been labored enough, but it's all good info for others I guess.
ive learnt yet another important lesson to NEVER EVER let anyone touch my baby again  :sick:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 06:10:38 pm by r5gtt »

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2017, 05:13:27 pm »
Not worried about the other posts, it's all content for others as someone said :) Shame how things work out sometimes regarding parts, but that's life hey :)

Anyone know what the latest or last Part Number was for these?

There's one on the Bay for £168 delivered brand new just an M revision instead of H.
Mine: 06F 127 025 H
Latest ?: 06F 127 025 M

:happy2:

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2017, 10:08:36 pm »
Well, decided to take the connector off and see what's what.

One of the pins had bent, so straightened it, tested connector with meter, both sides fine... bit of plastic weld, stuck it back on, and crossed fingers...

Started rough, then evened out, EPC light disappeared; took for the usual spin and didn't come back.

Think I'll still be looking at replacing it, as I don't want to be driving quick and then it cut power like the TB has died.

Anyway, temp fix gets me rolling :)

Thanks for the replies, still looking for a standard HPFP if anyone has one knocking about :) 

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=errv7qsuo4tkug0akt44iiuck6&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2017, 11:23:24 pm »

ive learnt yet another important lesson to NEVER EVER let anyone touch my baby again  :sick:

Just don't fit junk parts onto your car.  :wink:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2017, 11:11:30 am »

Just don't fit junk parts onto your car.  :wink:
mods bro we all have them  :signLOL:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2017, 11:12:04 am »
Well, decided to take the connector off and see what's what.

One of the pins had bent, so straightened it, tested connector with meter, both sides fine... bit of plastic weld, stuck it back on, and crossed fingers...

Started rough, then evened out, EPC light disappeared; took for the usual spin and didn't come back.

Think I'll still be looking at replacing it, as I don't want to be driving quick and then it cut power like the TB has died.

Anyway, temp fix gets me rolling :)

Thanks for the replies, still looking for a standard HPFP if anyone has one knocking about :)
well done mate  :happy2:

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2017, 10:34:05 am »
Yep, well done Scottymon. Just saw this thread and read through it all thinking it can be fixed.
I bent and cracked my one when closing the bonnet one night in the dark and didn't realise the mechanics hadn't put the engine cover on properly (just placed it on top). I used high strength Araldite glue and let it set held overnight in a vice and it's been fine for over a year.

@r5gtt Have you got your stripped threads sorted out yet?
There is a special recoil insert for soft metals. There's enough metal around to put them in and afterwards it will actually be stronger than original. They aren't helicoils. I'll see if I can find a photo.

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2017, 10:47:56 am »
https://goo.gl/images/YNMxcN

The one I used went from M10 stripped, drilled out to 12.8mm and then tapped to M14 x 1.25. The insert screws in by hand until flush and then use a pin punch and hammer to hammer down the pins. This prevents it from turning.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:52:40 am by The Red Warrior »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2017, 01:33:22 pm »
@TheRedWarrior

Thank you for your help and I really appreciate it mate. I've already heli coiled the two damaged thread that evening but looking for a cheap cover as I don't like them being coiled me being me want it how it was before the damage   :sad1:

Again thank you for your time in finding these  :smiley: