Make a donation

Author Topic: Brimall RB 6R  (Read 7576 times)

Offline Brimall

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Brimall RB 6R
« on: June 29, 2017, 07:05:11 am »
Hi all,

Brought my 6R back in April 2016.

I previously owned a candy white edition 30 so no stranger to the tfsi engine. I was at the stage of begining to modify the eddy and had the idea of stage 2+ in my head but decicded that to go down that root awd would be needed so decided on the 6R. 

The eddy sold quickly as it was a clean example and at the same time a standard golf R in rising blue with fvwsh and 6500miles on the clock became available. I knew as soon as I seen it I had to have it so deposit was put down and the car picked up shortly after. 

The car was in great condition apart from the swirled paintwork, looked liked someone had been washing it with a brilo pad, but this was easily sorted with a good polish with a Da Other than that there was a couple of small stone chips and that was it. The car came with all the usual R extras including reverse camera, dynaudio. heated leather seats (unfortunately not wingbacks though).

As soon as I had paid it off it was onto getting some mods done.

First up, as with all my cars, suspension. For me my car always have to be low. I love the low look. Also has to be functional though. I fitted a set of KW V3 Ultalows which exactly fitted the bill.

Current car spec

Manual

KW V3 Ultralow

GFB DV

Loba Hpfp

APR Stage 2 + Map

BCS Turbo Back Exhaust with 200cel sports Cat

Powerflex Dog Bone Mount

Ground Control Top Mounts

Revo Induction Kit

Kercher Front Splitter

Gloss Black front & Rear VW badges

Colour coded boot latch

19x8.5 ET 45 Avant Garde M621 brushed / polished wheels

225/35/19 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Tyres

Smoothed front bumper

Front / Rear pressed plates (front is magnetic)

Rolled and sealed front arches

Satch performance clutch

Manage to get my hands on a full bcs system with 200 cel sports cat, GFB diverter valve and a Loba hpfp from the classifieds on VWROC at a great price so was made up with this. 

Installed the Dv and fuel pump myself. Car seems to pull better through the Rev range and feels stronger but not sure if thats just in my head as still running the same map so no sure of the pump would actually make a difference?

NIge at BCS fitted the exhaust.

Needless to stay things should start getting intresting from here on in. Stage 2+ is definitly getting  a lot closer. 

Couple of pics after I gave the car a clean and decontamintion follwed by a machine polish, wiped down with ipa and then finished off with a layer of dodo juice supernatural hybrid nano.

Products used below
Vallet pro advanced snow foam
Vallet pro posiden shampoo
Autoglym tar remover
Iron X
Das 6 pro
Orange and white hexlogic pads
Meguires 105 on some areas
Meguries 205
Dodo juice supernatural hybrid nano.

Only the 3rd time ive used the DA but seem to be getting the hang of it.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 09:39:14 pm by Brimall »

Offline welikeaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Brimall RB 6R
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 02:57:52 pm »
Nice build so far!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 04:56:27 pm »
You'll often feel some improvement from the Loba pump right off the bat. You'll probably find the standard pump was only just keeping up with fuel requests at low-mid revs and the Loba is now taking things in its stride.

From what I gather, standard pumps can be a bit of a mixed bag, so while 99% are fine with the stock map, some struggle slightly at Stage 1, and quite a few really struggle - giving fuel cuts - at Stage 2. I actually got a Loba after going Stage 2. Even though a Stage 2 map theoretically doesn't request more fuel than the standard pump can hack, I got those dreaded fuel cuts. The Loba fixed that, and definitely gave me more torque coming onto boost than with the standard pump.

Obviously a 2+ map would be way above the abilities of a standard pump, so you'll really feel the extra torque in the mid range once you get to that point.

The car itself looks gorgeous by the way. Exactly how I'd like my own 6R to be. One day maybe! :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:28:23 pm by AJP »

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 10:04:46 pm »
Looking super  :happy2: how do you find the manual with the remap? I've got a 6R manual which I'm selling for a higher spec 6R as mines bongo spec which is on stock power and can't decide if to get another manual or dsg. Kind of find the manual a little boring as I don't like the feel when changing and it's the stock power I'm bored of.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:06:58 pm by Chris92 »

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 09:16:40 pm »
That's a lovely R - you must have searched for ages to find one with such low miles! Great mods too - look forward to future updates!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline Brimall

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 06:35:39 pm »
Nice build so far!

Thanks.

You'll often feel some improvement from the Loba pump right off the bat. You'll probably find the standard pump was only just keeping up with fuel requests at low-mid revs and the Loba is now taking things in its stride.

From what I gather, standard pumps can be a bit of a mixed bag, so while 99% are fine with the stock map, some struggle slightly at Stage 1, and quite a few really struggle - giving fuel cuts - at Stage 2. I actually got a Loba after going Stage 2. Even though a Stage 2 map theoretically doesn't request more fuel than the standard pump can hack, I got those dreaded fuel cuts. The Loba fixed that, and definitely gave me more torque coming onto boost than with the standard pump.

Obviously a 2+ map would be way above the abilities of a standard pump, so you'll really feel the extra torque in the mid range once you get to that point.

The car itself looks gorgeous by the way. Exactly how I'd like my own 6R to be. One day maybe! :)

Thanks for the info. Not just me imagining it then. Ha.
So keen for stage 2+. Hopefully be.there next spring. Id go for it now but think a new clutch will be needed so just getting some ££££  together.

Looking super  :happy2: how do you find the manual with the remap? I've got a 6R manual which I'm selling for a higher spec 6R as mines bongo spec which is on stock power and can't decide if to get another manual or dsg. Kind of find the manual a little boring as I don't like the feel when changing and it's the stock power I'm bored of.

I prefer the manual. But its all a personal.preference. Ots fine with the map. Get the traction from the awd in either so no difference there.
 If you dont like the shifting then a dsg is probably for you. I had a dsg pirelli and loved it at first maybe the novelty of the paddle sh*ters but after a few weeks missed the maual shifting. Obvoiusly the dsg will be quicker if your tracking it but probably not that noticiable for nornal road driving. Id take one out for a test and see which you prefer.

That's a lovely R - you must have searched for ages to find one with such low miles! Great mods too - look forward to future updates!

Thanks

And no searching. As soon as i sold my Ed 30 this became available. Had to travel 400 mile round trip but got it tje same week as i sold mine. Ha
 Never usually happens like that but worked out for.me for once!

Offline stugolf

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 12:45:39 pm »
That's a lovely MK6

Offline GT-eye

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 03:45:02 am »
great looking MK6 you have there  :happy2:

Offline Brimall

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 08:42:53 pm »
Its been a while since my last post and a lot has change on my car over the last few months so thought I should probably update the thread.

I got to a point with the golf that I couldn't decide whether to sell up and get something new or to keep, throw some more cash at it and make it my own.

I didn't have the funds to upgrade to anything I really wanted and even if I did it would only have had two seats so I would still have needed a daily so I decided to keep the golf, customize it a bit and keep saving.

I did fancy stage 2 + power, however the expense of an uprated clutch put me off especially seems as though the clutch I had wasn't having any issues and stage 1 power was not slow.

On this basis decided to change the look of the car with some new wheels.

After months of searching and possibly viewing every wheel available I decided on a set of 19x8.5 Avant Garde M621's. Kenny at Avant Garde was really helpful and went through all the available options. I finally decides on a bespoke 3 finish with brushed faces and barrels and polished inserts.
DSC_0588 by Andrew Brimble, on Flickr

Then started the discussions of fitment and how I could run low without ruining my wings. This was solved with having the arches fully rolled flat. The body shop did an awesome job of this. They fully cleaned and wire brushed the inside of lip and treated them before rolling them flat and welding them up so they retained the strength of the lip but there was no chance of any corrosion. Whilst the car was in I also decided to have the font bumper smoothed, the boot handle colour coding and gloss black front and rear VW emblems.
DSC_0698 by Andrew Brimble, on Flickr

When I got the car back I also changed the standard plates for pressed plates and made the front magnetic. I then added a Kercher front splitter to finish off the front end.
_20180325_163410 by Andrew Brimble, on Flickr

Not long after this the clutch started slipping so this was replaced for an uprated Satch performance clutch by Awesome GTI. I then decided that I might as well take it to stage 2+ as I was already running the Loba hpfp and BCS full system so I ordered a Revo intake and booked the car back in with Awesome for the map.
DSC_0546 by Andrew Brimble, on Flickr

In the mean time I took the car to Only Charged Dubs to get the wheels wrapped in Michelin PS4's and fitted. The rear camber was adjusted to fit the wheels with no risk of rubbing and I added some ground control top mounts to the front to dial in some camber. This gave some extra room under the arches and also massively improved the handling too.

So I'm now letting the bank balance recover but the all the mods have completely transformed the car, looks and performance wise. I'm really pleased with the way the car looks and the stage 2 + power is awesome.

I'm now in need of a TTRS engine cover and intercooler and then I'll probably leave it there (maybe).

IMG_20180331_210253_166 by Andrew Brimble, on Flickr

DSC_0836 by Andrew Brimble, on Flickr

_20180401_132504 by Andrew Brimble, on Flickr

_20180330_195339 by Andrew Brimble, on Flickr

_20180326_050923 by Andrew Brimble, on Flickr

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 10:42:28 am by Brimall »

Offline Trow81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Brimall RB 6R
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2018, 06:56:36 pm »
I’ve been pondering selling my eddy for a while but can’t seem to let go lol. I’ve fancied a 6R for ages too especially in Blue ! Yours looks amazing love the mods and thread so far. Did u notice much difference going from the eddy to the R except for AWD essentially it’s the same shell as the MK5 so guess my biggest question is did it feel like a new/different car as standard or just a facelift of the eddy?

Will be watching this one love what Uve done so far and that colour

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Brimall

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2018, 07:12:00 pm »
I’ve been pondering selling my eddy for a while but can’t seem to let go lol. I’ve fancied a 6R for ages too especially in Blue ! Yours looks amazing love the mods and thread so far. Did u notice much difference going from the eddy to the R except for AWD essentially it’s the same shell as the MK5 so guess my biggest question is did it feel like a new/different car as standard or just a facelift of the eddy?

Will be watching this one love what Uve done so far and that colour

Thanks.

In regards to going from the Eddy to the R.........Obviously everything looks different and newer.    The dash, display and controls ect feel newer and look more up to date. When I got mine it did feel newer and like a different car to drive but my Eddy had done about 70k and the R only had 6k on the clock so basically a new car.

My main reason for upgrading was the AWD, Very noticable  when standard. Makes the car feel so much more capable and more in control. I wanted to go stage 2+ in the eddy but didnt think youd be able to get the most out of it due to being FWD. I could be wrong as Ive never been in one thats been mapped to 2 +. However even at 2+ in the R it feels managable and controlable even if road conditions aren't great. Also I always liked the look of the 6Rs.

Saying that my eddy was standard apart from H&R springs so i guess if you added the same mods as mine has and then drove them both there probably wouldnt be much in it apart from the AWD.

Form me it was definitly the right choice.

If ai were you id go take one for a drive and see what you think and whether you feel its worth the extra £££££.

Hope that helps.

Offline Trow81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 07:17:35 pm »
Yeah that’s great thanks pal ! Best get test driving. I’m tempted by DSG but my eddy is manual not sure I would miss the feel of gear changes especially on a nice country road