Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear Top Mount Knocking  (Read 6160 times)

Offline MikeBee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: Rear Top Mount Knocking
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 01:33:29 pm »
Yeah good shout.

Dampers weren't leaking and had no oil passing the seal. I asked him specifically to check the dampers and top mounts, but giving them a whack is a good idea.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2017, 01:42:45 pm »
Won't hurt to try it.  I've isolated worn ball joints and drop links that way in the past, and a worn steering rack!   None of said parts were loose when levering on them.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 05:13:23 pm »
Hi .... just bumping (  :signLOL:) this thread

Just had the ohlins suspension fitted ..... I’m getting a light knocking sound from the rear over speed bumps and at speed .Doesnt seem to happen when the cars up to speed ( or I can’t hear it ) . I also didn’t replace the rear top mounts and thinking I should have , along with the rear drop links .... any other suggestions?

Yours do this @Pudding ?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 06:50:03 pm by Bodyboarder81 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 09:27:02 pm »
Mine has knocked at the rear with standard, Racingline and Ohlins  :grin:

It only does it on cobbled streets or block paved roads really. I replaced the rear top mounts. Last MOT I had there was an advisory on some worn bushes, so could be that. You lose the rubber spring pads with the ohlins, so they might be a bit noisier.
It’s solid in the corners so the noise doesn’t bother me really.  A full rebush is on the to-do list!

Offline Tazocin

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 09:28:41 am »
When I fitted my B14s all round I got some degree of knock over the first 500 or so miles. Always at low speed at left rear and offside front and tricky to reliably reproduce, it drove me crazy! I had the car up on  stands every other day checking nothing was loose or worn, I replaced the rear droplinks, I checked torque on all my work over and over but could not find the cause. Then, after that initial distance it all settled down. I had to assume it was the coilovers/car adjusting to a new ride position and it just needed 'bedding in' time.

Not to say there isn't something wrong but if you are asking a frame thats sat in one position for 8 or more years to then sit in a slightly new one I think a period of settling in is required. The other thing to note is, as Pudding mentioned, new ride height will adjust the strain on arb and droplinks etc so they might not appear or feel loose but actually are worn.

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2018, 11:14:46 am »
Thanks for the replies  :happy2:

The cars been running on a few different suspension setups ... but only done this while on the new setup ( ohlins ) I think it’s due to the higher spring rate that these coilovers use , maybe have highlighted a issue . I’ll see what happens over the next few weeks and I might even put some new drop links on anyway to rule it out .

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2018, 10:51:54 am »
How you getting on mate?

I backed off the damping on mine today (10 clicks open front, 12 clicks open rear) and the noise from the rear has reduced considerably.  On mine it's more of a rumble / pattering noise than a well defined clunk.  I have read that much stiffer aftermarket dampers are notorious for transmitting noise into the cabin on these cars, so it's probably just damper noise assuming nothing is worn out back there.

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2018, 04:10:11 pm »
How you getting on mate?

I backed off the damping on mine today (10 clicks open front, 12 clicks open rear) and the noise from the rear has reduced considerably.  On mine it's more of a rumble / pattering noise than a well defined clunk.  I have read that much stiffer aftermarket dampers are notorious for transmitting noise into the cabin on these cars, so it's probably just damper noise assuming nothing is worn out back there.

Hi dude ..... it’s an odd one . I’m only getting the noise from one side ( passenger rear)  so we went back over everything and all was spot on ... checked all bush’s , links ect ... all absolutely fine . The only thing We could find is on that side the rear caliper carrier has a lot of play .... like you can really move it by hand and when you whack  the tyre ( when off the ground ) it’s making quite a noise . So I’ve ordered a new carrier /sliding pins and swop that out . See what’s what after that . I have mine set at 11 clicks open ( bearing in mind I have eibach arbs ) I might try to back the dampers off and see if that’s the cause of the light knock .  :happy2:

All this aside though ...... holy baby mother of king king they are good ... like REALLY good . You just don’t need anymore power with the way it can go round corners ! Love it  :drinking:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2018, 12:03:56 pm »
How you getting on mate?

Hi dude ..... it’s an odd one . I’m only getting the noise from one side ( passenger rear)  so we went back over everything and all was spot on ... checked all bush’s , links ect ... all absolutely fine . The only thing We could find is on that side the rear caliper carrier has a lot of play .... like you can really move it by hand and when you whack  the tyre ( when off the ground ) it’s making quite a noise . So I’ve ordered a new carrier /sliding pins and swop that out . See what’s what after that . I have mine set at 11 clicks open ( bearing in mind I have eibach arbs ) I might try to back the dampers off and see if that’s the cause of the light knock .  :happy2:

All this aside though ...... holy baby mother of king king they are good ... like REALLY good . You just don’t need anymore power with the way it can go round corners ! Love it  :drinking:

It's probably the caliper then mate.  Mine are quiet  :happy2:   Whacking the tyre with a hammer is a great way to trace knocks  :happy2:

I knew you'd like them  :happy2:  They are easily the best ride quality / handling compromise I have yet experienced.  With my damper settings, they feel as soft as OEM when cruising about, but none of the OEM wallowing or body roll when giving it the beans.  Awesome stuff  :smiley:

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2018, 02:29:58 pm »
How you getting on mate?

It's probably the caliper then mate.  Mine are quiet  :happy2:   Whacking the tyre with a hammer is a great way to trace knocks  :happy2:

I knew you'd like them  :happy2:  They are easily the best ride quality / handling compromise I have yet experienced.  With my damper settings, they feel as soft as OEM when cruising about, but none of the OEM wallowing or body roll when giving it the beans.  Awesome stuff  :smiley:

Adjusted the dampers to a little softer ... but same noise from the passenger rear . Picked up carrier from ecp ( genuine mk5 r32 one in blue ) for the cheap price of £90 . Will probably get around to it on Monday ( we’ll i say me ... I mean my friend will at the garage  :ashamed:) the new carrier has zero play ... so I’m confident this is it . Never heard of a worn carrier before ? Very odd .