Make a donation

Author Topic: New Mk5 Owner - Cam Follower Nightmare  (Read 12577 times)

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: New Mk5 Owner - Cam Follower Nightmare
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2017, 04:11:05 pm »
Right a bit of an update on this. I now may be able to source the parts cheaper from a friends family member who works for VW. At the moment for the inlet cam, chain tensioner and timing chain im looking at around the £500 mark. The only issue i have now is with the chain cam cover - The part with the small gouge in the middle that i posted earlier. That part in itself is another £500 in itself!! so im really looking to avoid replacing that unless really necessary.

If i avoid replacing this part in it its current condition, what is the worst case scenario should it fail? some people have said the gouge possibly could just be welded over? Would a replacement of this also really need t be required if I replace the chain and tensioner?

Any help would be great as I could help save myself a lot of hassle if I do not replace it.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 04:19:26 pm »
Where is the gouge?  If it affects the oil flow for the VVT adjuster, then it will need replacing.  If it's just a superficial mark that doesn't affect anything, probably not worth worrying about.

Yep the chain covers are very expensive now.  Probably something to do with them being bought up in a bulk a few years ago for TSI roller conversions.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 05:37:05 pm »
Where is the gouge?  If it affects the oil flow for the VVT adjuster, then it will need replacing.  If it's just a superficial mark that doesn't affect anything, probably not worth worrying about.

Yep the chain covers are very expensive now.  Probably something to do with them being bought up in a bulk a few years ago for TSI roller conversions.

No it doesnt seem to have affected anywhere where the oil flows. Its a slight gouge on the oil line but hasnt worn through. Ive also been advised to replace the cambelt which was last changed in 2013, reason being as apparently changing the inlet camshaft and chain can also affected the tensioner on the cambelt. Does this sound right? I didnt think these parts affected it?

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2017, 05:54:14 pm »
Right a bit of an update on this. I now may be able to source the parts cheaper from a friends family member who works for VW. At the moment for the inlet cam, chain tensioner and timing chain im looking at around the £500 mark. The only issue i have now is with the chain cam cover - The part with the small gouge in the middle that i posted earlier. That part in itself is another £500 in itself!! so im really looking to avoid replacing that unless really necessary.

If i avoid replacing this part in it its current condition, what is the worst case scenario should it fail? some people have said the gouge possibly could just be welded over? Would a replacement of this also really need t be required if I replace the chain and tensioner?

Any help would be great as I could help save myself a lot of hassle if I do not replace it.

WOW - Shocked at the cover price.

Looking at your uploaded image, I would be more than happy to just refit that cover :happy2:

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2017, 05:56:32 pm »
I know it sucks. VW didn't even put an inspection interval for this into the service booklet. This is why they switched to the TSI with a roller cam follower mid-year of '08 here in the states...not sure when the TSI came along there. The US gave a warranty extension for this here in the US for 120k miles or 10yrs.

Looks like you need a new cam chain adjuster as well. I would do it all...the new intake cam only, the exhaust cam should be fine...new hpfp and cam follower...and cam adjuster cover only if it looks worn in the cam follower cylinder there where the hpfp mounts to it. You didn't have a pic of the CF cylinder. The inside damage to the adjuster cover, you did show a pic of, shouldn't cause further issues. That is likely done from broken CF bits romping about in there. You'll be sorted for up to another 100k miles, but I would start checking it, or just replace the cam follower, every 80k miles thereafter.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:09:56 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2017, 06:01:24 pm »
The cost of the timing belt and water-pump plus a little extra labour time are minor in the over all picture and considering there nearly up on time, so I would replace those.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2017, 09:39:19 am »
I know it sucks. VW didn't even put an inspection interval for this into the service booklet. This is why they switched to the TSI with a roller cam follower mid-year of '08 here in the states...not sure when the TSI came along there. The US gave a warranty extension for this here in the US for 120k miles or 10yrs.

Looks like you need a new cam chain adjuster as well. I would do it all...the new intake cam only, the exhaust cam should be fine...new hpfp and cam follower...and cam adjuster cover only if it looks worn in the cam follower cylinder there where the hpfp mounts to it. You didn't have a pic of the CF cylinder. The inside damage to the adjuster cover, you did show a pic of, shouldn't cause further issues. That is likely done from broken CF bits romping about in there. You'll be sorted for up to another 100k miles, but I would start checking it, or just replace the cam follower, every 80k miles thereafter.

America gets gold service for everything as you are the most valued customer base in the world.  The UK being a much smaller customer base, and less adept at sticking up for our consumer rights, get a brown service.  VAG have always shafted the UK with the highest sticker price, highest maintenance costs and the crappest warranties they can get away with.  Just as well for them we like their cars.

Anyway......I'm thinking this gentleman may be better off buying a new cylinder head from VW because it comes with cams, VVT adjuster, rocker cover, PCV gasket, chain, chain cover & the VVT solenoid thing.  By the time he's added up all the individual parts, it may be more a more cost effective path....and benefit from a fresh head.  Just throwing that out there!

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 04:55:08 pm »
Anyway......I'm thinking this gentleman may be better off buying a new cylinder head from VW because it comes with cams, VVT adjuster, rocker cover, PCV gasket, chain, chain cover & the VVT solenoid thing.  By the time he's added up all the individual parts, it may be more a more cost effective path....and benefit from a fresh head.  Just throwing that out there!
↑....this is worth considering...↑
You will still have to deal with timing belt and cam chain reattachment, but may be a better deal regarding cost and worth a look.
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2017, 10:43:55 pm »
You will still have to deal with timing belt and cam chain reattachment, but may be a better deal regarding cost and worth a look.

I did enquire about this but it's a good £1000 on top of what I've been quoted for the parts I need....and then I am in the territory of paying the same again for what paid for the car just to fix it. So far it's working out cheaper to get the parts elsewhere and getting them fitted separate.
I don't know if anyone has had experience of this but my only worry is if I do that - if something fails after the repair will a garage wriggle out of being responsible for it, even if the parts are genuine? 

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2017, 11:45:34 pm »
I went through a rebuild myself just two years ago and it was cheaper for me to gather parts and rebuild than it was for a long block swap. I did a head rebuild with valve stem guides and seals, one piston, piston rings, and rod bearings for about $2600usd. Couldn't touch a long block for that.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2017, 09:17:02 am »

I did enquire about this but it's a good £1000 on top of what I've been quoted for the parts I need....and then I am in the territory of paying the same again for what paid for the car just to fix it. So far it's working out cheaper to get the parts elsewhere and getting them fitted separate.
I don't know if anyone has had experience of this but my only worry is if I do that - if something fails after the repair will a garage wriggle out of being responsible for it, even if the parts are genuine?

How much did VW quote you for a head out of interest?  Audi quoted me £4000 for an entire S3 (CDL) engine.  Head, block, cams, sump, cam cover, chain gear and covers, all of it basically.  Just need to bolt on the turbo and ancillaries and off you go.  If the head on it's own is half or more than half of that I'd be shocked!

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2017, 09:17:42 am »
America gets gold service for everything as you are the most valued customer base in the world.  The UK being a much smaller customer base, and less adept at sticking up for our consumer rights, get a brown service.  VAG have always shafted the UK with the highest sticker price, highest maintenance costs and the crappest warranties they can get away with...
[/quote]

Big +1!

Although I beleive it may also have much to do with the fact that the US tends to "take no sh*t", certainly less than us reserved Brits?
They are certainly more litigious!

Perhaps we all should LAWYRUP and call Saul?  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 09:45:32 am by grey golfster »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2017, 11:49:48 am »
America gets gold service for everything as you are the most valued customer base in the world.  The UK being a much smaller customer base, and less adept at sticking up for our consumer rights, get a brown service.  VAG have always shafted the UK with the highest sticker price, highest maintenance costs and the crappest warranties they can get away with...

Big +1!

Although I beleive it may also have much to do with the fact that the US tends to "take no sh*t", certainly less than us reserved Brits?
They are certainly more litigious!

Perhaps we all should LAWYRUP and call Saul?  :signLOL:
[/quote]

:grin:

Yeah we are way too reserved and tolerant!

American litigation -

English litigation -

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:43:42 pm by ROH ECHT »

Offline Ads22

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2017, 05:18:13 pm »
Before I get anything done the car may be sitting for a while as I don't want to cause any further damage. Is it a good idea just to turn the cars engine over every couple of days to avoid a flat battery or is this causing further damage to the Follower?