Make a donation

Author Topic: Best Polish for a hand job  (Read 8345 times)

willni

Re: Best Polish for a hand job
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 12:36:12 pm »
Oooh now you're talking.  Will I benefit from some lube?

I'm hearing you guys on the FM about the Das 6 Pro.  Maybe I'll order one when I get paid.  Just looked online and they're not as pricey as I thought.  Is the starter pack cleanyourcar.com any good?  Comes with the machine, some pads and some polishes.  I really wouldn't know a good product from a bad one tbh.  There's a billion different detailing products to choose from!

For a starter machine either of these two;

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-v2-dual-action-polisher/das-6-v2-meguiars-hexlogic-kit/prod_1805.html

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/das-6-v2-meguiars-da-microfiber-system/prod_965.html

The more expensive one has a stronger cutting compound for deeper correction of swirls and scratches, and the pads will give you a better finish but you'll need to keep "re-fluffing" the pads during use to achieve the best finish.

The cheaper is a lot less abrasive but will only really fix medium swirls and scratches.

Although my recommendation of what I know works with the golf paint is the following kit, it's cheaper and gets the best finish in my opinion;

http://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/accessories-kits-and-tools/polishing-machines/slims-detailing-dual-action-das-6-machine-polisher-koch-chemie-polish-kit.html

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2017, 02:37:51 pm »

I'm hearing you guys on the FM about the Das 6 Pro.  Maybe I'll order one when I get paid.  Just looked online and they're not as pricey as I thought.  Is the starter pack cleanyourcar.com any good?  Comes with the machine, some pads and some polishes.  I really wouldn't know a good product from a bad one tbh.  There's a billion different detailing products to choose from!

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-v2-dual-action-polisher/das-6-v2-meguiars-hexlogic-kit/prod_1805.html

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/das-6-v2-meguiars-da-microfiber-system/prod_965.html

The more expensive one has a stronger cutting compound for deeper correction of swirls and scratches, and the pads will give you a better finish but you'll need to keep "re-fluffing" the pads during use to achieve the best finish.

The cheaper is a lot less abrasive but will only really fix medium swirls and scratches.

Although my recommendation of what I know works with the golf paint is the following kit, it's cheaper and gets the best finish in my opinion;

http://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/accessories-kits-and-tools/polishing-machines/slims-detailing-dual-action-das-6-machine-polisher-koch-chemie-polish-kit.html

Thanks for the advice mate, very helpful  :smiley:   I'll get the Slims kit on pay day I think.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

willni

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2017, 04:20:07 pm »

Thanks for the advice mate, very helpful  :smiley:   I'll get the Slims kit on pay day I think.

No problem I'll get a picture later on of what red turns out like with that koch chemie and poorboys black hole, but put it like this even when dirty you'll be able to see yourself in it  :happy2: probably should've done this earlier so you can put products to a picture.

willni

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 06:52:12 pm »
As promised pictures of the same three polishes followed by poorboys blackhole, then coated in one of waxaddict's waxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline grey golfster

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edition 30 # 993; Stage 2 n a bit....
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 09:40:13 am »
To get back on the innuendo track...

I've always found the ladies of Gdynia to be particular good.....

ooooh errr etc!  :signLOL:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 01:02:55 pm »
 :grin:

Looking great Willni  :happy2:  I need to learn how to be patient with this kind of work as the results are amazing. I'm guessing that takes all day?

Slightly off topic but I stumbled onto a YouTube clip about CarPro Cquartz last night. Some kind of ceramic coating.  How does that compare to waxing? It seems to suit the once-twice a year guys like me  :smiley:

willni

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 01:57:46 pm »
:grin:

Looking great Willni  :happy2:  I need to learn how to be patient with this kind of work as the results are amazing. I'm guessing that takes all day?

Slightly off topic but I stumbled onto a YouTube clip about CarPro Cquartz last night. Some kind of ceramic coating.  How does that compare to waxing? It seems to suit the once-twice a year guys like me  :smiley:

Well I actually spent a week on it, mainly because I only did 2 panels at a time as there was no rush so really a good job can be done in a day, but it's easier to do it in 2 days.

And I know of CarPro CQuartz, I opted for Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light and Exo V2 on mine a different brand of ceramic coat it lasts 5 years and needs topped up every 2 years. Personally I use ceramic coat on all mine as well as I put it on other peoples on weekends with gtechniq the Crystal Serum Light (CSL) doesn't scratch so it freezes the paint so you won't scratch it etc and resists uv damage and people hitting it. The top coat of exo v2/v3 does scratch but it can be removed and reapplied easily.

I think it's brilliant and leaves the car looking show condition all year round, and you don't have to worry about the paint. The trade off it application and preparation, it does require a lot of energy to ensure all the CSL is buffed off so not to leave any unsightly marks as well as the paint needs to people how you want it since 5 years is a long time so you want it to be perfect. You can pay people for it but professionals cost £600+ I think maybe more, I apply it for £300 dependant on condition in both cases.

If you apply it yourself you just need to take your time though. Summary definitely worth it as it self cleans, prevents scratching and some stone chipping and looks epic. Down side cost or effort to apply.

I'll try and find a dark colour I applied it to so you can get an idea but if you have metallic paint be prepared to smile at your car every time you see it in the sun.  :happy2:

willni

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 02:05:48 pm »
Awful photos but you get the point on reflectivity of the paint with ceramic on it

Here we got found a deep metallic navy blue, used to look black.

Along with a mineral metallic grey.

Sorry no other photos from after I completed them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 02:07:20 pm by willni »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2017, 09:27:55 am »
Thanks for the very detailed reply!  I like the sound of this ceramic stuff!   Is it good for wheels too?

Where are you based?  I'm thinking it might be better to get a pro to do it, but you would probably baulk at the state of my paint  :grin:

It's not that bad really, just needs some attention.....and the front end repainting to be perfect, but stone chips don't offend me that much as they are inevitable unfortunately.

willni

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 09:44:15 am »
Thanks for the very detailed reply!  I like the sound of this ceramic stuff!   Is it good for wheels too?

Where are you based?  I'm thinking it might be better to get a pro to do it, but you would probably baulk at the state of my paint  :grin:

It's not that bad really, just needs some attention.....and the front end repainting to be perfect, but stone chips don't offend me that much as they are inevitable unfortunately.

Yep it does it all Paint, Wheels, Brake Calipers, exhausts, plastic trim and glass, my wheels have been coated with C5 and EXO v2 and they have no brake dust or tar on then at all from a year of driving just washed weekly or so. I'm in Northern Ireland so be cheaper to go to someone local after time and travel  :sad1: . Also stonechips aren't hard to repair if you have a DA polisher it's just a matter of cleaning it and applying the touch up and then sanding it down to level, and polishing out the sanding marks.  :happy2:

And it's the inside of cars that are the worst the state that some people sit in, there's a reason I have thick plastic gloves  :signLOL: :sick:

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2017, 10:22:17 am »
Didn't read the thread but I thought I would weigh in if not mentioned.

I've used CarPro Essence both by hand and machine and it's amazing.

It's kind of a one4all being a mild abrasive polish and it contains silicone dioxide which protects the paint.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2017, 04:07:51 pm »
Cheers guys, more food for thought.   Yeah Ireland is probably not doable Willni  :grin:

richardmlldk

Best Polish for a hand job
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 07:46:11 am »
It is OK to use most of our products designed for paint on headlights or taillights but like others have said it all depends on what your goal is.  We recommend using the least aggressive approach as always.  Ultimate Polish can be used by Hand or Dual Action Polisher to remove light swirls & enhance clarity on headlights or taillights.  It would be recommended to follow up with a coat of wax or some type of protectant after use to provide protection to the factory coating on the headlights.