Make a donation

Author Topic: WHAT TYRES FOR MK5 PIRELLI GOLF?  (Read 3311 times)

Offline 993BOY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 1
WHAT TYRES FOR MK5 PIRELLI GOLF?
« on: July 12, 2017, 05:46:10 pm »
Don't know if any of you guys can help and perhaps have a Pirelli Edition?

I'm about to order a set of 4 boots for my Pirelli, and the rears are still the original tyres i.e. Pirelli P Zero Rosso.

It seems that they are in short supply, so wondered whether another Pirelli is an alternative?

Looks like the plain P Zero is available, is this my best bet? as I have been offered the Nero GT or P7 Centurio, but the tread patterns seem different. :thinking: :confused: :confused:

Cheers,

Nick

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
Re: WHAT TYRES FOR MK5 PIRELLI GOLF?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 08:36:46 pm »
Depends on your budget :)
I've always liked the Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2 or AS3 for price ( £80 ) and grip in all weather conditions ( bar snow, but then all summer tyres suck in snow )
The Michelin PSS ( £110 ) are superior though, but have the additional price associated :)
Also look at Michelin PS3/4, and Vredstein ( WHICH I've never tried on the GTI )

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 10:27:57 pm »
100% recommend Michelin PS4's mate, they're an unreal tyre in all weather conditions. Proper grippy.

willni

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 08:11:40 am »

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 10:14:15 am »
I've used P-Zero but they're not great in wet.

Changed to Goodyear eagle F1 Assymetric 3 and can't fault them.

If I had a pirelli edition though I'd probably go back to standard P-Zero

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 10:20:51 am »
I think he wants Pirelli specifically, for his Pirelli  :smiley:

I hate them personally.  Back some years I had a Polo 9N3 GTI, which came with ContiSport2.  When they were spent, I had P Zeros fitted because of a good deal the dealer was offering, but they ruined the car quite frankly!

Unless it's something like a Trofeo R, I don't think I would ever bother with them again tbh.

But anyway, totally second the PS4.  Amazing tyres for the money. They feel completely at home on the GTI.   My ED30 came on F1 Assymetric 2s which weren't bad, but the PS4s have restored a lot of self centering feel that was completely absent with the F1s.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 10:22:59 am by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 11:27:34 am »
Wow, how many times can you use the word Pirelli in one post?

Never had a Pirelli tyre I have liked, but I do rate the PS4 highly as has already been said. Get a set and you won't regret it
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 11:28:14 am »
Yet another vote for PS4 here, like every single tyre thread in the last year!

You'd be missing out if they really have to be Pirelli, @993BOY

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 11:57:16 am »
If you really want tyres from Pirelli, I guess you can get the P-Zero but they're not as good as the Michelin PS4, Continental SportContact 5 and Goodyear Eagle F1 Asys 3. :smiley:

I'd go for the Michelin PS4 or if possible the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 12:02:19 pm »
Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli, Pirelli

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 12:41:50 pm »
 :signLOL:

Offline hicksyyy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 05:20:31 pm »
ive got the p7 Centurio on the fronts of my Pirelli. to be honest there fairly decent tyres in my opinion. i don't tend to test them to the max trying to out do them on bends but after 5k miles they have worn well. they corner well but I'm not sure if that's mainly the chassis I'm enjoying coming from a sloppy Merc or it's the tyres doing there job !... on the motorway when it's pissing down they still give me decent confidence I won't be coming off !

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 11:20:13 am »
ive got the p7 Centurio on the fronts of my Pirelli. to be honest there fairly decent tyres in my opinion. i don't tend to test them to the max trying to out do them on bends but after 5k miles they have worn well. they corner well but I'm not sure if that's mainly the chassis I'm enjoying coming from a sloppy Merc or it's the tyres doing there job !... on the motorway when it's pissing down they still give me decent confidence I won't be coming off !

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I think you need to try better tyres to really know how well the car can handle. My GT Sport came from factory with Michelin Primacy HP. I had a similar opinion about them as you have from the Cinturato P7, later when I decided to fit a pair of Goodyear Eagle F1 Asys 2 I found that the car can corner much faster and have much more grip on wet roads. Try different tyres and look at tyre tests from different car magazines. :wink: