Make a donation

Author Topic: Plastdip Smoke Front Honeycomb Grille  (Read 6251 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Plastdip Smoke Front Honeycomb Grille
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2017, 06:33:45 pm »
Impressive stuff guys.

This is now firmly on my to-do list.

Offline H18Golf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2017, 03:45:15 pm »
Think I will be doing this soon as the results look very good.  Couple of questions, do you need to rub the plastic down at all to give it a key to stick?  Also what plastidip did people go for, any links would be good?

I would be wanting to remove all grills to spray them, I have removed the upper grill when changing my bonnet mechanism, how are the lower middle and fog grills removed?  I take it you just masked off the red grill trim @lukemk5gti ?

Offline gman

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2017, 10:35:02 pm »
I did matte then glossifier on top but going by this thread I'd say the smoke one is best from pictures - looks OEM factory fresh. No need to rub down but make sure it as clean as possible, especially any corners where debris can collect. (not sure if that makes sense :thinking:)

As for removing, fog grilles pop out easily (one screw each prior to popping out ofc) and the middle one pops out too but is very stiff - need to give it a good tug but pull out evenly and not too much on one side or clips will snap. I took the red trim trim off and only broke one clip whilst doing so, not necessary I guess you could mask it.

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2017, 08:15:37 am »
Think I will be doing this soon as the results look very good.  Couple of questions, do you need to rub the plastic down at all to give it a key to stick?  Also what plastidip did people go for, any links would be good?

I would be wanting to remove all grills to spray them, I have removed the upper grill when changing my bonnet mechanism, how are the lower middle and fog grills removed?  I take it you just masked off the red grill trim @lukemk5gti ?

You don't need to sand it down to give it a surface to stick onto.

The trick is to spray 2 very light and fine layers first with 30mins drying time. It leaves the surface kind of sandy looking and then all future layers will stick to that.

You do need to ensure it is completely free of any foreign matter though. I spent maybe 30 mins with a microfibre and IPA cleaning each individual comb.

I went for the SMOKE one, it's name is actually smoke. eBay does it for maybe £12

I masked them off and used a brand new blade to cut the line perfectly flush. You could also use this as an opportunity to remove the red strip and spray that but don't forget to lacquer if you do.

Grille removal covered by gman.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2017, 04:39:05 pm »
Have you tried just spraying it with "No Touch Tire Care"? It leaves a more satin finish and many people I talk to at car gtg and shows say this is what they use on everything in the engine bay when I ask "how did you get that look?". They just spray it on everything and leave it...some said they soak up any puddles, but no wiping. I ask about worries with electrical and none have replied any issues. So, I suppose it would dress up a haggered grille as well. I just picked up some to test for an upcoming show and I may apply to my grille as well.  :drinking:

https://www.google.com/search?q=no+touch+tire&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjrstyrmJjVAhVB-mMKHen-C04Q_AUIDCgD&biw=1173&bih=529#imgrc=RSEfAdPiQ2PLoM:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:46:25 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2017, 12:16:43 pm »

You don't need to sand it down to give it a surface to stick onto.

The trick is to spray 2 very light and fine layers first with 30mins drying time. It leaves the surface kind of sandy looking and then all future layers will stick to that.

You do need to ensure it is completely free of any foreign matter though. I spent maybe 30 mins with a microfibre and IPA cleaning each individual comb.

I went for the SMOKE one, it's name is actually smoke. eBay does it for maybe £12

I masked them off and used a brand new blade to cut the line perfectly flush. You could also use this as an opportunity to remove the red strip and spray that but don't forget to lacquer if you do.

Grille removal covered by gman.

The excitement was building until I read that  :grin:   I am way too lazy to do that.  I'm wondering if buying a brand new one and spraying that would be kool and the gang for a lazy oik like me?

What you've done looks great though!  Can you get glossy plastidip?  I'm thinking it would be a good (temporary) way to cover the stone chipped to death lower sections of my bumper.  Having a black car, I don't mind putting black shades on high impact areas that aren't quite factory black.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mkmg76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2017, 01:13:57 pm »
 The excitement was building until I read that  :grin:   I am way too lazy to do that.  I'm wondering if buying a brand new one and spraying that would be kool and the gang for a lazy oik like me?
[/quote]   

:signLOL: at least you're honest!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2017, 02:03:00 pm »

:signLOL: at least you're honest!
[/quote]

I really don't enjoy the bodywork / interior side of cars at all!  I prefer the oily bits and driving it  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Dave_d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2017, 06:28:02 pm »
Sprayed my grills satin black, badge and the gloss panel around number black in Matt black plastidip.