Make a donation

Author Topic: Car revving itself when coming out of gear! Help!  (Read 10688 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: Car revving itself when coming out of gear! Help!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2017, 03:27:20 pm »
Sounds like it's going lean coming down to idle and the ECU is struggling to 'catch' it, so stalls or over compensates (over revving).

Need to log the MAF and lambda regulator channels in VCDS and see what numbers you get as the revs fall to idle.  MAF is usually around 3-4gs with the stock airbox and lambda activity should be small.  If it jumps up a large amount 15% or more, it's defo lean, or the MAF scaling isn't right.

Bung the factory airbox on for a test, to see if the problem goes away?
What would cause it to go lean? Only reason why I think mine is something to do with the throttle, is because sometimes on part throttle at motorway speeds it feels like its fluctuating/jerking

Usually the MAF scaling on intake kits, but if it's not that, it will just be a good old fashioned air leak.

Mine's like that as well, at very small throttle inputs......sat behind someone doing 65-70 and coming on/off the throttle for example.  It's also like that lower speeds in the lower gears, say 3rd, it's hard to maintain a constant speed.

Mine's only been like that since remapped with a linear pedal map.  I bet if I was to get that put back to the factory non-linear pedal map, it would smooth all that out.   I still need to get that done at some point, or bin it off and just go back to Revo.   That map was smooth everywhere.

A bad throttle would fault code.  I thought the same as you bought a brand new throttle from VW, revision Q, and it made zero difference.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline GTI_Kyle

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2017, 03:59:46 pm »
Sounds like it's going lean coming down to idle and the ECU is struggling to 'catch' it, so stalls or over compensates (over revving).

Need to log the MAF and lambda regulator channels in VCDS and see what numbers you get as the revs fall to idle.  MAF is usually around 3-4gs with the stock airbox and lambda activity should be small.  If it jumps up a large amount 15% or more, it's defo lean, or the MAF scaling isn't right.

What would cause it to go lean? Only reason why I think mine is something to do with the throttle, is because sometimes on part throttle at motorway speeds it feels like its fluctuating/jerking

Usually the MAF scaling on intake kits, but if it's not that, it will just be a good old fashioned air leak.

Mine's like that as well, at very small throttle inputs......sat behind someone doing 65-70 and coming on/off the throttle for example.  It's also like that lower speeds in the lower gears, say 3rd, it's hard to maintain a constant speed.

Mine's only been like that since remapped with a linear pedal map.  I bet if I was to get that put back to the factory non-linear pedal map, it would smooth all that out.   I still need to get that done at some point, or bin it off and just go back to Revo.   That map was smooth everywhere.

A bad throttle would fault code.  I thought the same as you bought a brand new throttle from VW, revision Q, and it made zero difference.
Where did you have it mapped?
I'm going to try a tb clean & alignment first as it hasn't had it done since i bought it. Mine used to take a while for the revs to drop, and randomly blip throttle before I had it mapped so i think it's just gotten worse over time. Luckily it's not all the time

Stage 2 Graphite Blue DSG GTi - Too many mods to list...

Offline Rawson

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2017, 04:12:39 pm »
You two got intake kits?

Yes I've also got a revo intake

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2017, 04:12:57 pm »

I'm going to try a tb clean & alignment first as it hasn't had it done since i bought it. Mine used to take a while for the revs to drop, and randomly blip throttle before I had it mapped so i think it's just gotten worse over time. Luckily it's not all the time

Stealth Racing.  It was my choice to go linear and they know I'm not a fan of it, just need to go back up there and switch it back.  Otherwise it's a great map.

Have you checked the throttle body loom?  There was a TSB about it on the MK5 for fraying and shorting out, causing weird behavior.  Not sure if that applies to the Seat platform.  I checked mine and it was fine, plus a brand new throttle and still no better.  It's more of a minor irritancy than a problem. Mine idles perfectly.  Sounds like yours is a lot worse!  Have you got meth injection on yours?  I've heard the plastic part of the throttle doesn't like meth.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 04:13:53 pm »
Both Revo intakes then.  Both remapped?

Offline Rawson

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2017, 04:16:58 pm »

Cool, I'm gonna do some logs on vcds tomorrow see what it's saying
Need to get another engine cover too so I can test, I cut mine up to fit the revo

Offline Rawson

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 04:19:30 pm »

No mine isn't remapped yet, want to get it running smooth first

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 04:23:28 pm »

That could be why yours isn't too happy.  It's pulling in a lot more air than it's expecting.  Needs a map really.   What does block 032 say in VCDS? Idle and part throttle trims.

Offline Rawson

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 04:38:28 pm »

That could be why yours isn't too happy.  It's pulling in a lot more air than it's expecting.  Needs a map really.   What does block 032 say in VCDS? Idle and part throttle trims.

Possibly yeah,
I will have a look tomorrow and see what there saying.

Offline GTI_Kyle

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2017, 05:07:52 pm »

Stealth Racing.  It was my choice to go linear and they know I'm not a fan of it, just need to go back up there and switch it back.  Otherwise it's a great map.

Have you checked the throttle body loom?  There was a TSB about it on the MK5 for fraying and shorting out, causing weird behavior.  Not sure if that applies to the Seat platform.  I checked mine and it was fine, plus a brand new throttle and still no better.  It's more of a minor irritancy than a problem. Mine idles perfectly.  Sounds like yours is a lot worse!  Have you got meth injection on yours?  I've heard the plastic part of the throttle doesn't like meth.
Mine idles fine, its coming to a stop where it stalls/throttle blips randomly  :thinking: no meth mate no, only thing can do is see if tb alignment sorts it & go from there. Big problem for me however is no VCDS  :doh:

Offline Rawson

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2017, 05:30:45 pm »

Mine idles fine, its coming to a stop where it stalls/throttle blips randomly  :thinking: no meth mate no, only thing can do is see if tb alignment sorts it & go from there. Big problem for me however is no VCDS  :doh:

Yeah mine idles fine too. And like you say when coming to a stop you get the blips on the revs, mine is slightly better since they changed the fuel filter and the sensor, hasn't cut out yet anyway. Will get on vcds tomorrow

Offline GTI_Kyle

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2017, 08:10:26 am »

Yeah mine idles fine too. And like you say when coming to a stop you get the blips on the revs, mine is slightly better since they changed the fuel filter and the sensor, hasn't cut out yet anyway. Will get on vcds tomorrow
Keep us updated pal  :smiley:

Offline Rawson

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 04:25:56 pm »

Block 032 says 0.3% adaption idle & adaption partial is 5.5%
I done some fuel trim logs too and it was bang on with what the ecu was requesting.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 04:38:27 pm »
Small trims.  Have you still got the oem intake? Could be worth sticking that on for an experiment to see if matters improve.

Offline Rawson

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 04:48:20 pm »
No I need to pick one up so I can see what it's like with that on.
One of my mates has put a few intakes on ed 30's before and never had any problems like this though.
I took it for a long drive the other week and after around 3 hours of motorway driving it cut out when I stopped at some lights, then about 5 mins after that the engine cut out as i was driving over a bridge!