Make a donation

Author Topic: Rally fan boy exploring VAG  (Read 935 times)

will555driver

Rally fan boy exploring VAG
« on: July 20, 2017, 01:58:45 pm »
Hi guys and girls just a quick intro.  Joined to do some reading up on the MK5 GTI.  Other than general car person knowledge I know very little.  I'm a Subaru guy through and through but now my impreza is a toy I am considering a Mk5 GTI as a daily.  They seem to tick a lot of boxes and at a reasonable price.  Car would be for daily commute (15 minutes dual carriageway) bumpy twisty b roads on days off with the odd track day and roadtrip.  Im a dog person but don't want a barge to drive so would be looking for a rear seat delete to fit large dog cage.  No other hot hatch seems to offer as much room.  Currently run a Ford Transit Courier van as a daily. I know...... but practically it is perfect however ive always had nice/fun daily cars and want to get back into one.  Life is too short to drive a van right?!  Buying guides and general things to look for would be great.  With most performance car forums im sure there are some agreed DOs and DONTs with these cars. In my head the Mk5 GTI is practical enough for my needs, does a bit of everything without breaking the bank, and wont break.  Lets hope I'm not wrong....

Not so much of a quick intro!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Rally fan boy exploring VAG
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 07:40:50 pm »
Hi mate, welcome to the site. There are quite a few comprehensive buying guides on here, it's just a case of finding them!

But the few bits that spring to mind are:

Check for bubbling at 12 o'clock on front arches, and sills. You can get these done for free at VW, but it's not always straightforward.

Once hot, if the engine sounds a bit chuggy it might need a new chain. The TFSI has a chain as well as a belt.

Do a search for PCV, DV and cam follower. They're all cheap to renew, but if a cam follower ever wears completely through it means cam and fuel pump damage. Try and find a car that's had these replaced - they're not deemed 'servicable' by VW (just like the chain) so catastrophes do happen.

They're really quite good on fuel in terms of cruising, even with all the mods and mapped up.

The normal GTI, with the k03 turbo, will feel perkier than a Subaru at low-mid revs, but not as strong from 4k.

The Edition 30 GTI, with the bigger k04, is a quicker car when you can stretch its legs, but not as 'squirty' on b-roads.

They can be tuned to a max of about 290bhp and 380bhp respectively.

There'll be lots I've missed in terms of buying one - hopefully someone comes along with more info - but the usual rules apply.... Oil changes and lots of receipts point to a good car.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 07:46:39 pm by AJP »