Make a donation

Author Topic: Hello! M135 to Mk5 GTI  (Read 2441 times)

sensible

Hello! M135 to Mk5 GTI
« on: July 25, 2017, 06:18:48 pm »
Hey people,

Just thought I'd say hello!

Unfortunately at the beginning of June some theiving scumbags threw a brick through the living room window and hooked my keys from the coffee table and took off with my pride and joy.  Fast forward two months of dealing with a ridiculous amount of insurance back and forth and I've finally been paid out by the insurance and GAP.  I could of gone out and signed up to another PCP agreement and carried on owning an M135 but I'm saving up for a mortgage at the moment and I've decided having my own place sooner is more important than owning a high end car so I'm using the fairly significant savings to fast track getting a house.

I initially thought I'd just go super cheap and pondered on which car would provide the most smiles-per-pound and I ended up buying a Renault Clio Sport Cup 172 for £1800 - which I ended up sticking on autotrader 2 days after buying it  :laugh:  I should have put far more thought in to the purchase but after coming down from 2015 plate M135 the sheer gulf in interior quality was just something I didn't pay enough consideration to.  One drive back from Wales on the day of purchase and I had instant regret.  In saying that - after the initial shock had calmed down I took it out for a blast over the country hills of Dovestones in Oldham and I was completely blown away and I totally understand why the RS Cup's have their reputation - it was an absolute riot and they stick like glue.  I don't think the fact it had a full race exhaust, decat and 182 manifold helped either as it was insanely loud and I don't really do obnoxious sounding cars, I prefer subtle and tasteful exhaust notes - everywhere I went people threw daggers haha.

I managed to sell it within 3 weeks on Autotrader and decided to up my budget to around 4k and decided a Golf Mk5 GTI would provide the best balance of performance and comfort.  This Sunday I ended up buying a 98k mileage 2006 example with a full VW / Audi official garage service history in mint condition, inside and out, for £3800 - and I couldn't be happier.  I knew Golf's had a good rep and they're good cars but I'm genuinely impressed with how crisp everything feels - it's a manual and the gearbox feels crisp and smooth, the steering is light and accurate and the clutch / brakes feel spot on.

I've not had it long enough yet to see what it can do on the twisties but initial impressions are positive - it feels firm but comfy and from the few bends / roundabouts I've thrown it in to it feels planted enough  :happy2:  The interior, for it's age, is impressive - even after coming down from the highly specced M135 with business nav, HK and coral red leather etc - the Golf really isn't a bad place to be.  The materials are solid, the dash is well laid out and there's no rattles - it feels quality and even today doesn't feel dated.

After coming from 360bhp (JB+) it's nowhere near as quick - but I'm not dissapointed!  I've been out of driving now for 2 months so I'm just glad to be back driving, but I'm really not displeased with the stock performance - 200bhp / 7 secs is still quick enough to briskley navigate today's roads and get out of the way of your average laxidazical drivers.  I've been looking at remaps and seeing what's available - seems a fairly moddable car with decent gains - think I may end pursuing Stage 2/2+, starting out with a Stage 1 for a nice and easy quick win to give it a bit of a boost.

Will be lurking around the forums now having a nosy at what the GTI scene is like!

A few pics of the new car:

Mike

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Hello! M135 to Mk5 GTI
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 07:38:51 pm »
Welcome to the site.

Sorry to hear about the Beemer. Unfortunately it's one of those cars that continues to get stolen to order.

The mk5 can be just as fun, without attracting too much unwanted attention.

If you fancy a bit more than 2+ and performance on a par with what you're used to, a k04 conversion with all the 2+ bits will get you 350bhp plus.

Have a read up on maintenance and the basics, and any questions, post up!

Offline white91

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 08:28:52 pm »
I would say a stage 1 remap would transform the car, any further than that starts to cost £££! That said it's a slippery slope, especially if saving for a house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline J4k3

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 08:47:21 pm »
Looks like a clean example! I'll keep an eye out for you if your local to dovestones, as I only live around the corner from there myself

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 08:52:05 pm »
Welcome and as above, I'd get a nice Stage 1 Tune for a healthy hike in PWR and TRQ; get the right map ( rTech ) and the difference is extremely noticeable from the standard tune.

IF you haven't already, take a look into changing or at least inspecting the HPFP Cam Follower as they can wear and cause big trouble; an inexpensive part that should really be treated as a service item, especially on tuned TFSI's  :happy2:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 10:33:32 pm »
welcome to the forum and a excellent introduction..
a stage 1 map will transform the car

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 11:36:41 am »
I would say a stage 1 remap would transform the car, any further than that starts to cost £££! That said it's a slippery slope, especially if saving for a house

Yep!

As a car enthusiast, modifying is a lengthy and expensive journey we all take, only to come to the conclusion at the end of it that the manufacturer didn't get it too far wrong to begin with  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 12:35:07 pm »
 bloody

Yep!

As a car enthusiast, modifying is a lengthy and expensive journey we all take, only to come to the conclusion at the end of it that the manufacturer didn't get it too far wrong to begin with  :grin:
:signLOL:

Offline Kai96

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2017, 01:35:30 pm »
Welcome. As everyone has a stage 1 and some exhaust work will completely transform the car, will provide a really noticeable difference 

Offline EddieFosts

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 05:14:18 pm »
Stage 3 and you definitely won't miss your M135i anymore  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator