Make a donation

Author Topic: VWR Intake disappointing  (Read 48516 times)

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: VWR Intake disappointing
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2018, 05:53:55 am »
Not quite sure what to make of these large and well resourced firms churning out expensive but inadequately developed products some 10 years after the Mk5 went out of production. It seems to me that Racingline often rebrands another company’s product (eg ITG / vibratechnic / superpro / AST / Team Dynamics / Eibach) with some minor tinkering at most and adds an extra layer into the distribution chain to create a more expensive product.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2018, 04:56:57 pm »
Good news at last!!!
Unfortunately I thought the day would never come also so had the intake fitted by Will at VRS Northampton. Top bloke by the way!!
I can certainly see what you all have complained about. It’s not what you’d expect for double the price of others on the market.

Rest assured, *all* of the snagging points were raised and duly noted by the VWR staff  :happy2:   

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2018, 05:14:28 pm »
Not quite sure what to make of these large and well resourced firms churning out expensive but inadequately developed products some 10 years after the Mk5 went out of production. It seems to me that Racingline often rebrands another company’s product (eg ITG / vibratechnic / superpro / AST / Team Dynamics / Eibach) with some minor tinkering at most and adds an extra layer into the distribution chain to create a more expensive product.

They have their own in-house CAD and 3D printing facilities, but volume producers they most definitely are not, hence contracting it out to established factories.
You can indeed ring DemonTweeks and buy ProRace 1.2s sans the embossed rims for less than what VWR charge for exactly the same thing.  Racingline don't try and disguise this fact though.  I suppose the advantage of Racingline is they are using their production contacts to bring everything together in a one stop shop style outlet, which for level 1 enthusiasts is a lot easier than spending hours searching for parts separately.

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2018, 01:51:18 pm »
Any more updates on this from the Racingline rep with regards to an ETA at all... I see it was said 4-6 weeks after final testing however when is final testing going to be complete..do you have a more likely ETA?

Not wanting to be negative I get these companies are busy designing/building new kits etc but like a lot of people I have been holding out for months now on this and I've waited this long but I am considering going another route with the HPA v2 system from Germany if anyone is aware of this kit?...a bit more expensive tho.

A guy I was on draft with based in Germany runs one on his S3 and rates it....just kinda bored waiting on this tbh

Anybody else heard/used one of these kits?

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2018, 02:03:03 pm »
The ETA was 4-6 weeks after they finish redesigning and changing bits, which they still had plenty to do 3 weeks ago. I wouldn't expect it to be ready until at least August, if not longer/ever.
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2018, 02:48:33 pm »
The ETA was 4-6 weeks after they finish redesigning and changing bits, which they still had plenty to do 3 weeks ago. I wouldn't expect it to be ready until at least August, if not longer/ever.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. TBH out of principle I would rather not buy one of these kits for the fact they kept supplying these unfit ones that could potentially damage the cooling system on the car which in my mind is ridiculous to start with. They know it is a flawed product that could potentially cause catastrophic damage and yet no recall as far as I am aware..could be wrong tho.

The problem being from reviews they work well (when modified to fit correctly) which is the point I suppose. Just garbage for the price.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2018, 12:59:33 pm »
I haven't heard anything since the 15th, but I'm not expecting to for at least another 2 - 4 weeks tbh.

I like the Racingline intake because it's quiet as far as these drainpipe style intakes go, and it's MAF error is pretty reasonable compared to some.

The HPA v2 is a manifold btw, and definitely not worth the money or effort!  There are a couple of decent intakes from Germany, namely Diblas and HG motorsport, but they are something like 500 euros......which is an expensive Brexit price now that the Euro is almost £1.

I suspect most, if not all of the delays will be with ITG.  I've witnessed first hand how quickly Racingline work on things.

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2018, 02:45:13 pm »
I really do like the look and sound of this intake more than any other on the market, which is why I bought one. I'm still frustrated that the availability date of this revised version is still unknown. Surely VWR, with a good project planning team could confirm when the revised intake will be available.

I'm still worried about driving my car everyday & that the coolant nipple will be broken off again.

If this isn't sorted by August when my next service is due, I will go back to the standard filter now and chuck the VWR thing in the bin. I couldn't sell it on due to my conscience. Currently, I have no confidence that a revised kit will ever be issued to existing users, & I really worry about the reliability risk on my engine by a so called 'upgrade'. Where do we stand in terms of trading standards in terms of selling a product unfit for use, now that it has been acknowledged by VWR? How about if my engine blows up in the meantime due to this kit running the coolant dry?

Sorry to be so annoyed, but I am utterly frustrated that this is not moving quickly. I really do not care that VWR say they are balancing their time with our complaint against getting new products to market - there will be no market left for them if the products for the MK7R prove to be like this one...

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2018, 03:02:10 pm »
I haven't heard anything since the 15th, but I'm not expecting to for at least another 2 - 4 weeks tbh.

I like the Racingline intake because it's quiet as far as these drainpipe style intakes go, and it's MAF error is pretty reasonable compared to some.

The HPA v2 is a manifold btw, and definitely not worth the money or effort!  There are a couple of decent intakes from Germany, namely Diblas and HG motorsport, but they are something like 500 euros......which is an expensive Brexit price now that the Euro is almost £1.

I suspect most, if not all of the delays will be with ITG.  I've witnessed first hand how quickly Racingline work on things.

Lol apologies I meant the HG FSeries v2....predictive on the tablet must've put that in and I've not noticed....side note I have looked at the intake manifolds before out of curiosity and agreed didn't think they wld be worth the money.  Had a cast Dbilas..i think..on a 20vt mk4 that I didn't buy but noticed the port orrafices werent that much bigger...all about flow I guess.

After all my moaning I bought one of these intake kits and fitted it last night.. I will stick some pics up later...the bracket at the grill got chopped to adjust to my airtec cooler...n75 hose got trimmed that was fouling the most on mine.... I have about 10mm gap between the coolant elbow and box however it does come back and marginally touch it after a run. I may have  an idea..need to see. I will check my LTFT today with regards to the MAF sensor it defo should be profiled more...seems sealed 'ok' for now but I will wait till I vcds and change as needed.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2018, 07:23:16 pm »
Yeah that looks like a good intake and no doubt fits a whole lot better  :grin:

In 2 VWR intake kits, my MAF was loose as hell.  The weather seal wasn't compressed at all.  I was seeing trims in the 5 - 8% region with my pipe modified to nip up the weather seal.  Would probably be higher if I left it!  For reference, my standard intake with a brand new MAF and running stock software is showing <1% trims.  8% is a big error if OEM is that close to zero.  The ECU is bunging in nigh on 10% more fuel than it needs to, and remember that's a long term average, so can spike to higher percentages.  Keep an eye out for black smoke, crap mpg and poor off boost throttle response etc.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2018, 10:41:50 pm »

In 2 VWR intake kits, my MAF was loose as hell.  The weather seal wasn't compressed at all.  I was seeing trims in the 5 - 8% region with my pipe modified to nip up the weather seal.  Would probably be higher if I left it!  For reference, my standard intake with a brand new MAF and running stock software is showing <1% trims.  8% is a big error if OEM is that close to zero.  The ECU is bunging in nigh on 10% more fuel than it needs to, and remember that's a long term average, so can spike to higher percentages.  Keep an eye out for black smoke, crap mpg and poor off boost throttle response etc.

I guess I was lucky mine was better finished. The last time I checked my LTFF with the TTE420 file they were <3%. :confused:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2018, 10:53:31 am »

I guess I was lucky mine was better finished. The last time I checked my LTFF with the TTE420 file they were <3%. :confused:

Wow that's great  :happy2:   You definitely got one of the better intakes!

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2018, 12:49:33 pm »
My LTFT is -6.3 hopefully the revised part rains it in a bit

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2018, 01:56:15 pm »
A variety of differences there!  If the intake is as free flowing as claimed, a small positive adjustment is to be expected, but it shouldn't be any more than 5% when the engine isn't working very hard.

Shame the LTFTs only record idle and part throttle trims.  It would be interesting to see what the trims are at full throttle.

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2018, 12:59:30 pm »
Been working away so not had much time to drive the car lately. I did note my LTFT values the day after fitting and it was sitting at 7% so not good at all.  The throttle response low down has dipped marginally....im away for a RR today at a place I never use for a comparison to my last run a few months ago pre intake so will see if there are any gains...it defo feels stronger in the higher RPM as you wld expect...will post my graph later