Make a donation

Author Topic: VWR Intake disappointing  (Read 48531 times)

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: VWR Intake disappointing
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2018, 05:11:26 pm »
I'm glad Matt posted here and asked for our feedback. I have this intake and it does rub one plastic elbow connected to the intake manifold. So far its the aluminium canister that is taking the damage, not the plastic elbow. In my can I have to be careful on how the pipe is fitted to prevent the canister from popping out of its front bracket.

Fortunately my MAF seated well and the canister doesn't hit the coolant elbow, although its close from hitting it. By fitting a thicker IC I had to trim a bit the front canister bracket to make it fit the rear of the front grill.

That's my feedback. I'm happy with the performance and noise. I do worry about water entering the intake pipe when under heavy rain. :smiley:

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #91 on: March 14, 2018, 08:36:34 pm »
Another thought my peron intercooler is slightly thicker than the original one and it pushes the radiator back towards the engine. Something else to consider for the revised intake.

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #92 on: March 14, 2018, 08:42:53 pm »
It is great news that Matt has joined this thread to resolve the issues. Thank-you Pudding for your time to be the spokesman and to work with Racingline directly.

I think you have covered the issues that have affected my intake; T-piece coolant pipe being damaged by the canister moving back and forth, rubbing on the hoses to the radiator as the canister was resting on them. My kit was improved by shims to the supporting bracket on the battery tray, and moving the air guide further to the passenger side. The canister still has sometimes popped out of it, so it would be good if there is a way of permanently fitting the canister to the snorkel.

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2018, 12:26:48 pm »
The position of the air guide does indeed influence the position of the canister, it's something I discussed with Matt.  As Dave J said, it needs to be moved over a bit to allow more clearance, but people with brand new intakes are somewhat fearful of drilling new holes, just in case they have to return it.
That relates to the older generation intake with the pressed ally air guide, which also as pointed out, can be affected by intercooler size.

The current MK5 intake adopts the moulded snorkel from the MK6 kit, which is a great addition imo!   Hopefully this will position the canister with a bit more clearance.

As for rain and snow getting into the canister, I had another look into that and I think it's an acceptable risk.  The snorkel is offset from the grille a bit, which will allow heavy water splashes to pass underneath the canister opening......I hope  :grin:  I wouldn't recommend chopping the grille slats out like some folk do.  I'd keep them there to keep twigs and leaves out.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2018, 12:39:55 pm »
And speaking of MK6 GTIs, I have the turbo pipework and MAF pictured above on the way, to see if it will fit the MK5.   

The reason for it to move the MAF away from the turbo.   When running a lot more boost than standard, the extra turbulence and wearing out turbo seals tends to dump oil onto the MAF, which is erm, not great!   Younger mileage cars may not exhibit this problem, so it's not essential.   Just an idea I want to experiment with. 

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2018, 05:53:34 pm »
More info on the MK6 GTi intake pipe.

It will definitely work, and there's even a nice little mounting to stop it from flapping about.  Something else aftermarket intake makers ought to look into as well.

The aforementioned input for a KO4 DV return.

Just need to get a MK6 MAF housing and it's pretty much there.   Did a bit more digging on MK6 vs MK5 MAFs.   Same style of MAF, but different part numbers.  MK6 - 06J906461D.  MK5 - 06J906461A.   Hopefully the cross sectional area of the MK6 housing will work well in the MK5 and not throw the LTFTs off to much.

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2018, 08:44:13 pm »
The position of the air guide does indeed influence the position of the canister, it's something I discussed with Matt.  As Dave J said, it needs to be moved over a bit to allow more clearance, but people with brand new intakes are somewhat fearful of drilling new holes, just in case they have to return it.
That relates to the older generation intake with the pressed ally air guide, which also as pointed out, can be affected by intercooler size.

The current MK5 intake adopts the moulded snorkel from the MK6 kit, which is a great addition imo!   Hopefully this will position the canister with a bit more clearance.

Hmmm, I thought the current kits for the MK5 on Awesome's website looked different. I see it has a jubilee clip to tighten around the canister - I think that with your flex joint would definitely be a help. Mine is one of the kits with the air guide like the one in your picture above.

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline JamesED30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2018, 10:53:27 pm »
I received one of these kits 3x weeks ago, but the weather has been too poor to attempt fitting it every day I’ve been off.
When did VWR update the kits?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2018, 09:24:54 am »
Not sure.  Definitely since August last year as that's when I got mine, and it's the older style.

It only takes about 30 mins to fit.  The weather is supposed to improve this week  :happy2:

Offline petem86

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2018, 07:56:56 am »
i had ramair and vwr intakes on, the ramair made 4bhp after a map, but switching gave me an extra 20.

its also for sale if anyone is interested

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2018, 08:12:11 pm »
Let us all know the outcome @Pudding  , as I’m keen to purchase this kit but obviously would want the ‘revised ‘ one when it’s here  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2018, 10:37:53 am »
Sure thing  :happy2:   I'm sure between ITG, Racingline and customer feedback, a decent solution can be found  :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2018, 06:33:16 pm »
I met up with the Racingline team today and had a thoroughly decent 'cars and coffee' session with them.  Very accommodating and professional people  :happy2:

The areas arrowed in the pic below are now officially under development, and they were drafting up the modifications in CAD before I'd even left!

When the updates are available, I will pop back up there and test them on my car.  When we are happy with the revisions, they will go into production and owners of the old kits will be entitled to the new one FOC if proof of purchase is provided. i.e. an invoice from Awesome GTI or wherever you bought it from.   Naturally, these things take time but I will keep this thread updated with any developments  :smiley:

So, to break down the forthcoming changes:

MAF housing - This will be modified to correctly compress the weather seal. 

Intake pipe - A bracket will be made to rigidly mount the pipe to the grey peg on the heat shield.

Flex coupling - One will be supplied, but it may not be like mine.  They are looking into options for that.

Canister mount - Unfortunately the MK6 snorkel doesn't fit MK5s, so the existing mounting will be modified to allow more clearance for the coolant hoses etc.

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2018, 06:37:02 pm »
That’s great news ... well done to all parties involved and hats off to vwr for being professional about it all ... once the .2 comes out I’ll be sure to order  :happy2:

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2018, 06:58:49 pm »
Great work Pudding! I'll be waiting for your test on the revised version. :happy2: