Make a donation

Author Topic: Fusso Soft99 wax problem  (Read 5579 times)

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
Fusso Soft99 wax problem
« on: August 05, 2017, 08:46:49 am »
Used this last week as a LSP and noticed when in direct sunlight it shows some marks(holograms) in the paint. I think I applied too much/left it to cure too long so what's he best way to resolve this? Will re washing and using a qd work or should I apply another thin layer of wax?

Would it be worth using a pre wax cleaner? The finish from polishing was perfect so just want to remove the wax and reapply it.

willni

Re: Fusso Soft99 wax problem
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 09:23:03 am »
(Edited)

Could you give me some more info on the products leading up to wax e.g what compound/polishes were used on the paint? Did you polish the car by hand or by machine and if so what type of machine was it a rotary or Dual-action? and finally what polish pads did you use?

But here's a general fix.

Holograms in the paint aren't caused from the wax unfortunately, it's from the polishing machine generally they're very easy to remove so don't worry you don't have to start over.

Polishing a car and most thing is essentially using finer scratches to remove larger scratches, and a hologram mark is/are lots of fine scratches from the polishing process commonly found in the middle to late stages of polishing from the lighter cutting polishes, so to remove them you need something with a finer cut or alternatively you can fill them with a 'glaze' but the length it lasts varies, so I'll talk you through the proper way to fix them and let you decide how you want to approach it.

Here's two methods one that will cost £10 or so and the other free but might not work.

Method 1
To remedy holograms you can either buy a dedicated light swirl and hologram remover, use a light cutting polish (Meguiars 205, Rupes Yellow, Koch Chemie M2.01 (purple) are a few examples), using these will give you 'safer' bet that they'll remove the holograms as opposed to my next method, but yeah use these give a couple of slow passes on the affected areas on a low speed 1-3 with a Foam finishing pad or Microfibre Finishing Pad. Then you just have to reapply the wax and that's you sorted.

Method 2
This method will be effectively watering down some of the polish you were currently using, to reduce to 'bite' or cutting/correcting ability it has. You take your polishing pad and wash it under warm water, and then dry it then take your polish and apply it (2-4 pea sized amounts) to the pad rubbing it evenly across the pad and working it into the foam/microfibre, then you'll wash the pad lightly you're not trying to remove all the polish in it just want to water it down. Now you can go and polish the holograms, it's not a safe bet but it's the cheapest way as you've effectively made yourself a finishing/jewellers polish (depending on the severity of your existing polish)

Bonus point;

You can also mix and max polish/compounds and pads to change the severity of the cutting and polishing action eg if you take a severe cutting compound like Meguiars M105 Ultra-cut and put it on a Finishing Pad you'll get a strong-medium to light medium cut.

Glaze;
If you opt for this approach I recommend Poorboy's Black hole or White Diamond glaze's depending on your car colour, these will alter the colour of your car ie on a white car the Black hole will darken the paint toward the blue scale and the White Diamond will lighten it to the yellow scale, it's easily removed so don't think it's permanent it's just for people that worry that their white paint has turned yellowish like BMW white.

Hopefully these will work, but give me the info as above and I can help more  :happy2:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 09:30:41 am by willni »

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 09:35:18 am »
Hi mate, cheers for the detailed reply.

This was my process:
Wash(snowfoam, shampoo)
Clay (bilthamber)
Machine polish(rotary, Featool, RO150), 2 passes, one using orange lake country pad with menzerna fast gloss and one using menzerna superfinish with a black pad.
Rinse
Wax(fusso99)

I've used this process before but with Autoglym HD wax and had no problems which is why I was thinking it was the wax and from googling it seems a few others have had the same issue. Could traces of wax cause any marks at all? Maybe what I'm seeing isn't holograms as I'm not too familiar with the terms (just assumed that's what it was)

willni

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 09:39:42 am »
Also just to reassure you, I polished a car a while ago and it looks absolutely perfect under LED light etc, but I left a small hologram in the paint (first time every doing so :scared: ) but it only shows up in sunlight because it's far far stronger (lumen amount) than LED, so it's a very very easy mistake to make, without buying those crazy expensive scangrip lights.

I grab a photo when my phones charged to show you there's no scratches or marks but under direct sunlight there's a hologram.

willni

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 09:50:48 am »
Hi mate, cheers for the detailed reply.

This was my process:
Wash(snowfoam, shampoo)
Clay (bilthamber)
Machine polish(rotary, Featool, RO150), 2 passes, one using orange lake country pad with menzerna fast gloss and one using menzerna superfinish with a black pad.
Rinse
Wax(fusso99)

I've used this process before but with Autoglym HD wax and had no problems which is why I was thinking it was the wax and from googling it seems a few others have had the same issue. Could traces of wax cause any marks at all? Maybe what I'm seeing isn't holograms as I'm not too familiar with the terms (just assumed that's what it was)

Well I'm sure you know when you were buying your polisher, that's rotarys have a greater tendency to swirl/ hologram paint since it doesn't orbit, it's rotates around a fixed point. But the problem I think is the jump from Heavy cut compound to super finish. It's a lot of work for the superfinish to remove defects from the heavy cut it's like using 6000 grit sandpaper to remove 1000 grit sanding marks it can be done but it'll take you a lot longer.

The heavy cut is for removal of deep defects, whereas the super finish is a very light/jewellers polish so I don't think the super finish can take out any defects caused by the other. If you used Menzerna Medium Cut (2200) that should rectify the problem for all future polishing.  Or any medium cutting polish really if you fancy a change.

Just for your arms health, you only really need heavy cut compounds for when you buy a used car or fixing deep problems like sanding marks, dog nail scratches on the bumper.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 09:53:03 am by willni »

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 10:52:48 am »
Perfect thanks so much for the info, I'll try one of the hologram/swirl removers mentioned above. I'll probably skip the fast gloss from now on. Only used it once before but that was when I bought the car and it definitely needed it.

The RO150 is a da not a rotary btw.

willni

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 10:58:58 am »
Perfect thanks so much for the info, I'll try one of the hologram/swirl removers mentioned above. I'll probably skip the fast gloss from now on. Only used it once before but that was when I bought the car and it definitely needed it.

The RO150 is a da not a rotary btw.

Anytime, and I highly recommend Koch Chemie for the mk5 paint adds a lot of depth and gloss to the paint (it's made for approved for use by Mercedes) and my mistake just looked at it quickly and saw rotary lol.

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 05:53:50 pm »
Cheers, I'll have a look online for some of that Koch stuff then

willni

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 06:09:42 pm »
Cheers, I'll have a look online for some of that Koch stuff then

Careful make sure you type Chemie you might end up on some dodgy websites  :signLOL:

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 06:36:42 pm »
Less is more!

I find this problem with sealents. Reeeeallly light coat, let it dry and apply another light coat on top, wait to cure and buff. Try using a short pile polish soft MF cloth to remove product. AutoGlym sell such a cloth.
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers