Make a donation

Author Topic: Proud New MkV GTI Owner - Clutch Help  (Read 1758 times)

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Proud New MkV GTI Owner - Clutch Help
« on: August 11, 2017, 05:57:30 pm »
Hi everyone this is my first ever post as i have only just joined today. I have been told good things about you guys and how helpful and knowledgeable you are.

I recently got myself a 2005 Golf MK5 GTI TFSI and i love it, it is 100% stock at this time apart from the Golf R Alloys that could do with a refurb. It has 80k on the clock and a fsh and has really been looked after.

Basically i am looking to tune it a little i used to have the MK4 and wish i had never sold it i was only running the normal Revo Remap. I am looking at maybe going a little further with the Mk5 maybe to stage2.

I am needing to get a new clutch its not completely gone and it is not slipping but i can feel that it will be going in the near future and its better to fix it before it goes and causes more problems. I didn't want to just get a stock clutch and then when it comes to tuning have to get another as that would be silly.

I could really do with some of your expertise on what clutch i should be looking to get and any links and so on to where i can find one. i don't have thousands to spend but i do want to make sure i get a clutch that will live up to the job. Also when i am doing the clutch is there anything else i will need to do with it like the release bearings flywheel and so on as i don't really know what i should be doing and i don't want to have to come back and open it all up again for something i should of done when putting in the clutch.

I will be looking to get the car to around the 300bhp range but nothing more as for a front wheel drive car that's more than enough for me.

Thanks in advance
 :happy2:
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Black Vienna Leather Interior
19" Pretoria Alloy Wheels
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline neilw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 26
Re: Proud New MkV GTI Owner - Clutch Help
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 10:20:31 am »
Hi Welcome.

I don't really talk from experience only what I've read on here. A standard clutch in good condition will be ok at 300bhp, but will have a reduced life span.

I think the Helix Organic clutch is a popular upgrade for people running big power.

I would say if your only planning on running it upto 300 put a new standard clutch in, If you plan on going for more power in the future it would be senisble to go for an upgrade in but its easily double the cost for the parts.

I'm sure someone whos had the same dilema will come along with some attual experience.
Edition30 #0002 R-Tech Stage2

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 99
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 09:29:47 pm »
Look at AKS TUNING website for the helix organic kit.

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 01:20:06 am »
I have had a look through different places and it looks like an uprated clutch would be 700/800 plus fitting so about 1000 all together give or take. A lot of people seam to think I will be ok with the normal clutch if I am staying under 300bhp. Yeah it won't last as long but I don't mind putting a new clutch in a bit more often as it's a fraction of the price than the uprated. If I was going to go mental with tuning I would defiantly go the updated way.

I just wanted to check that what I thought was right.

Thanks for the info guys it's been a big help.
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline GitFlog

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 02:47:48 am »
Thanks for the info guys still not sure where I will be going.

Is this a standard clutch or a upgraded one sorry I am not sure
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Golf_2.0_2006/p/car-parts/clutch-and-associated-parts/car-transmission/clutch-kit/?641442970&1&c548f65ee8769759c4e75ef0509ea1c8adbaa103&000069
2017 Vw Golf R Mk7.5
310ps
Lapiz Blue
Dynamic Chassis Control

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 09:49:25 am »
Get the clutch from VW and DMF from Eurocarparts.

Pointless fitting a standard clutch if you're going to map it.  If the engine makes over 280lbft torque, it will start slipping around 40-50K miles, or when it's half worn.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D