Make a donation

Author Topic: Cruise Control not working  (Read 13487 times)

chaggs1

Cruise Control not working
« on: July 09, 2017, 07:07:49 pm »
Hi members I hope you can help me I recently purchased a 2005 golf gti.  My only problem is the cruise control doesn't engage.  I have opened the stalk and checked for any problems but can't see anything.  I noticed when the cruise control is switched to on and you turn the ignition the cruise control appears on the console for a split second.  But if I flick the switch off and on or the other way around while the engine is running nothing happen's. 

Not technically minded so any replies in plain english please. lol  :happy2:

Offline cenobytez

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Cruise Control not working
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 01:01:20 pm »
how are you trying to engage, at what speed/revs?
your need to flip the switch and then press the end buttons, doesnt matter which, up or down

Offline mikezs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 03:55:04 pm »
A quick scan with VCDS will find your problem. It could be anything (stalk, brake/clutch switch, wiring, etc).

Where abouts are you?

Offline northernmunkey1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 07:48:52 pm »
Long story short but chaggs1 is my previous account i asked the moderators to cancel.  I am based in Brum and what is an VCD?

I am trying to engage it at 40 and above in sixth gear. 

Offline Chris_R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 04:34:11 pm »
May be worth knowing if the car actually came with cruise from new or the previous owner just replaced the stalk with a cruise one and expected it work without perhaps coding via VAGCOM/VCDS?
If you have the owners manual in the front page there is a bunch of codes that you can decode using the following website which should tell you the original options it came with:

http://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx

Or get VCDS and check.

It could be that there is a fault recorded anyway preventing it even if the coding is done.

Offline northernmunkey1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 06:25:37 pm »
Thanks I'll check that out when I get back of holiday but why would the cruise light come on??

Offline Scottymon

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 06:50:25 pm »
It's more often than not, the stalk... you can get replacement stalks on ebay, but you only really need the switch mech.  So prize apart the current stalk, disconnect it and replace :)
Ideally a Scan with help initially :) 

Offline northernmunkey1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 08:07:13 pm »
May be worth knowing if the car actually came with cruise from new or the previous owner just replaced the stalk with a cruise one and expected it work without perhaps coding via VAGCOM/VCDS?
If you have the owners manual in the front page there is a bunch of codes that you can decode using the following website which should tell you the original options it came with:

http://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx

Or get VCDS and check.

It could be that there is a fault recorded anyway preventing it even if the coding is done.

Thanks buddy I found the mention codes on the vehicle data page.  It was a sticker with a list of codes.  I typed it and this was the result :

Untitled by chaggs1, on Flickr

Unfortunately I can't see the bloody cruise control so either the previous owner miss sold it to me with cruise control or the code was missed on the vehicle list in the handbook?

The site states its not 100% accurate.  It's just weird that if you start the car with the cruise control on the stick to on it appears on the dash for a split second or would that happen even if your model didn't come with it?

Would a VCDS confirm if I had it or not and there was a fault?

Could you recommend a good one but cheap one

It's more often than not, the stalk... you can get replacement stalks on ebay, but you only really need the switch mech.  So prize apart the current stalk, disconnect it and replace :)
Ideally a Scan with help initially :) 

I opened up the stalk and it looked fine but the circuit board was attached to the wires by solders.  Do you have to buy the whole thing or can you just buy the board and solder a new one in?

By the way just come back of holiday and the car had not moved for a week and the airbag light come on as well

« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 08:09:44 pm by northernmunkey1 »

Offline mikezs

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 08:44:19 pm »
With VCDS you can check the steering wheel control module (and engine) for the cruise coding, or any fault with it, and it'll tell you which sensor set off the airbag light (as well as resetting it).

Solder is the usual method to connect the wires to the circuit board. There's a plug on the back (i think) that connects the stalk electrics from the steering wheel control module to the buttons, which allows you to switch the electrics. Again, VCDS can test the stalk as well.

Offline northernmunkey1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 11:25:08 pm »
Getting a VCDS check tomorrow so i'll let you know how I got on

Offline northernmunkey1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 10:40:03 pm »
Definitely have cruise control these are the results.  So it looks like I need to get new cruise control stalk or any suggestions?

Offline northernmunkey1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 07:07:47 pm »
Just a quickie the bloke who did the VCD and reset my faults said he turned off the airbag on the passenger door as that was the fault.  Is that true or did he just reset it as the airbag light has come back on three weeks later?