Make a donation

Author Topic: Massive transformation in just 6 days on my new GT sport TDI 170  (Read 4782 times)

Offline dpbayly

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
Hi all I'm new here after accidentally becoming an owner of a 2006 Mk5 Golf GT sport TDI 170 after a customer of mine wanted to throw in the towel and scrap it simply because after having the DPF removed and mapped out recently she didn't like the smell it now has that and it needed a clutch and DMF so I happily offered what she was offered scrap £150 and bought and fitted a new clutch kit and then the fun began.

Here is how it looked the day I took ownership:

3 weeks ago over a weekend I dropped just under 2 grand on parts off eBay and was patiently waiting for the parts to arrive the longest time was going to be some parts ordered from Russia.

List of parts ordered:

-GTI grill set
-Coilovers
-CSR front lower lip spoiler
-Forged aluminium M14 x 1.5 wheel nuts
-Gloss black with red inserts front badge
-BMW X5 style 132 alloys 19" front 9" rear 10"
-Rear roof spoiler
-Gloss black boot badge
-R32 headlights
-R32 rear bumper bottom
-R32 side skirts
-20 x M14 x 1.5 30mm studs
-New BMW wheel center badges
-TDI to R32 rear silencer delete kit
-Chrome indicator bulbs
-HB4 LED bulbs (for front fogs)
-55w H7 8000k HID kit
-LED number plate light units
-Ramair induction kit with heat shield
-GTD badge to replace the GTI badge on the front grill set
-50mm arch flares (parts coming from Russia)
-Performance remap through a local contact in the trade upped to approx 205-210bhp and bags of torque
-Booked for next Wednesday window tints
-Tyres 2x 215/35 19  2x 235/35 19
-Red metal flake (large flake)
-1/2 ltr of LA7T paint
-1x Upol lacquer pack set (5ltrs)

Anyway my Golfs transformation finally started last Sunday when I decided to paint a few bits and pieces that had arrived in preparation of fitting and as we had my sons 1st birthday party the weekend before I decided to use the 6mt x 3mt gazebo that was up in the garden to spray in and it worked great after I carted all my spray gear and compressor in there and spent the weekend painting.

The day before at work I had prepped the wheels and fitted the new tyres as I didn't want to be fitting new tyres over fresh paint so I fitted them and just popped them off the front bead:

Then on the Saturday morning I got everything ready in the tent to start spraying my trick paint job:

I didn't get any pictures of me laying down the red metal flake but I basically primed the wheels then gave them a black base coat before giving them a 95% coverage with the metal  flake then buried the metal flake under 2 heavy coats of lacquer.

Here's them finished out in the sun:

The pictures don't do them justice as it's very hard capturing the true effect of metal flake on a camera.

On Sunday I prepped and painted the body modifications I had

Front lip and rear R32 bottom primed and black part painted before I masked up the black and laid down the base colour:

Unmasked finished job:

And while I had the paint on the go my first actual on car mod was to tint the rear lights, I do this by taking standard car lacquer and mixing in a small amount of base coat black then applying coats till the desired effect is reached.

Lights scottched up ready to receive paint:

Back on the car as I needed to use it to get into work to fit the body kit parts in preparation of getting the arch flares:

Done this way gives them a great finish and there stay very translucent.

Wife was not happy I had taken up the whole living room to store my bits, lucky we have 2 living rooms:

So Tuesday morning I got into work at 6am and I fitted the coilovers:

Fitted but not set up:

Wednesday morning I got in early and removed the center silencer and replaced it with straight pipe then removed the rear silencer and replaced that with the TDI to R32 silencer delete kit and fitted the rear R32 bumper bottom:

Then Thursday morning I fitted the front lower CSR lip and GTI grill set and R32 headlights along with the front gloss black badge, HID kit and LED frog light bulbs which I then re wired to run as DRL's  so there on all the time the ignition is on:

Then Thursday afternoon my long awaited arch flares arrived from Russia so I spent 4 hrs yesterday (Friday) fitting them which was a little unnerving taking a cutting disc and cutting 3" off the front and rear arches.....:

Looked ridicules with the stock wheels still on:

Then this morning (Saturday) I was over my brother in laws engineering shop where he was making my custom adapter spacers converting from 5 x 112 pcd to 5 x 120 pcd and spacing the front 30mm and the rear 45mm giving me 80mm total extending out on each corner compared to the stock wheels so widening the track by a total of 16cm front and rear the spacers are to be bolted onto my VW hubs and I had studs pressed into the spacers to bolt the X5 wheels on with:

Milling

Pressing the studs in:

A quick test fit at his workshop just in case I needed any more taken off the spacers:

Anyway they fitted perfectly so I then went home and gave the car a clean and then a going over with the machine polisher to bring the paint up like new and while I was at it I debadged the rear:

Then once mopped and cleaned and waxed I shot back into work and finished fitting the wheels and the final thing was to fit the gloss black VW boot badge:

So here it is in 6 days it gone from this:

To this:

All thats left is the window tints that are booked for next Wednesday and also fit the roof spoiler as the tint man asked me to not fit it as it makes his life easier.

Sorry for the long post but I had a lot to show....

Offline prp74

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
Re: Massive transformation in just 6 days on my new GT sport TDI 170
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2017, 09:47:50 pm »
Wow what a transformation. Great work mate  :happy2:
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline chigmuss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2017, 10:20:59 pm »
Top work fella, nice to see a non OEM selection of mods that work well together. The wheels (despite being candy red) still tie in nicely with the red on the grille. Arches look good too. Thumbs up from me

Offline The Red Warrior

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 32
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 06:15:53 am »
Wow! That's an awesome amount of work done in such a short period of time and done to a very high standard too by the look of it. Well done.
Now you just need that remap that you mentioned

Offline J4k3

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 08:04:14 am »
Looks wicked  :happy2:

Offline dpbayly

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 08:44:56 am »
Wow! That's an awesome amount of work done in such a short period of time and done to a very high standard too by the look of it. Well done.
Now you just need that remap that you mentioned

Thanks,

I do pride my self on my standard of work.

I did forget to add in my write up before the arch flares were riveted in position the exposed metal edges and holes were treated and sealed and the stock rear arches being double skined left a 5mm cavity which I welded up to retain it's rigidity  then like the front it was treated and sealed  and once all the flares were fitted I also as to double up on the protection I went over all the pannel edges with seam sealer so there wont be any risk of rust appearing.

As for the remap that's been done already, that gave the car so much more poke puts a smile on my face and for diesel it sounds awrsome with the straight through exhaust turbo back and the ramair induction kit.

Offline dervdave

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 11:06:51 am »
Worth the graft   :happy2:

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 03:17:57 pm »
Wow top work :congrats:

Offline dpbayly

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 09:44:34 pm »
Thanks guys,

I have my Windows being tinted on Wednesday then Wednesday night I can fit the boot spoiler then cosmetically it will be finished

Offline shaunK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 11:13:25 pm »
Very impressive for less than a weeks work