Make a donation

Author Topic: Am I being unrealistic??  (Read 3545 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Am I being unrealistic??
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 03:55:42 pm »
Agreed.  After 2 years with an uprated clutch in heavy traffic, my next VAG will almost certainly be DSG. 

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 06:22:37 pm »
Agreed.  After 2 years with an uprated clutch in heavy traffic, my next VAG will almost certainly be DSG.
I'd have to actually drive a DSG to see if I even liked it, but I'm also leaning that way, for a different reason - not having to actually uprate the clutch in the first place if you want a reasonably torquey state of tune!

I don't mind the Helix at all. In terms of tuning and uprated parts usually being a compromise, the only compromise for me is the heavier pedal, which I don't find hard work.

It'll be a long time until I move on from the mk5 - I have big plans for it - but when I eventually do I really like the idea of DSG, AWD, and an easy 400bhp.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 09:52:57 am »
I'd have to actually drive a DSG to see if I even liked it, but I'm also leaning that way, for a different reason - not having to actually uprate the clutch in the first place if you want a reasonably torquey state of tune!

I don't mind the Helix at all. In terms of tuning and uprated parts usually being a compromise, the only compromise for me is the heavier pedal, which I don't find hard work.

It'll be a long time until I move on from the mk5 - I have big plans for it - but when I eventually do I really like the idea of DSG, AWD, and an easy 400bhp.

I do love the satisfying feeling of a well executed shift, and nothing beats the feeling of getting a launch just right in a manual  :smiley:

In a rapidly approaching age where a 17" computer screen replaces everything where handbrakes, gear sticks and buttons used to live..... we need to make the most of that human vs machine interaction whilst it lasts!

Manuals are gradually being phased out anyway in the relentless drive for efficiency, so it will be DSG or nothing soon.

I'm liking the sound of your plans, keep up the good work  :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 01:10:00 pm »

I do love the satisfying feeling of a well executed shift, and nothing beats the feeling of getting a launch just right in a manual  :smiley:

In a rapidly approaching age where a 17" computer screen replaces everything where handbrakes, gear sticks and buttons used to live..... we need to make the most of that human vs machine interaction whilst it lasts!

Manuals are gradually being phased out anyway in the relentless drive for efficiency, so it will be DSG or nothing soon.

I'm liking the sound of your plans, keep up the good work  :happy2:
Cheers mate :)

Offline MeatHelmet1981

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2017, 05:37:48 pm »
Well, I managed to find the perfect car!

2008, FSH, 18" monzas, tartan seats, MFSW, cruise control, xenons, iPod connector in centre console (doesn't work though) Parrot BT fitted, and in black.

just drive back from picking it up, 100 mile trip home, mixture of motorway and some twists thrown in for good measure.

Handles almost as well as my old type r and feels almost a quick without revving the nuts off it. lovely and comfy on the motorway too.

Happy man right here :happy2:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2017, 05:45:32 pm »

2008, FSH, 18" monzas, tartan seats, MFSW, cruise control, xenons, iPod connector in centre console (doesn't work though) Parrot BT fitted, and in black.

just drive back from picking it up, 100 mile trip home, mixture of motorway and some twists thrown in for good measure.

Handles almost as well as my old type r and feels almost a quick without revving the nuts off it. lovely and comfy on the motorway too.

Congrats on the purchase! When you say almost as quick as your Type R, are we talking EP3? If so, the GTI should feel quicker. I'm sure you've read about the DV often splitting, which can lose you quite a bit of power.

Get the basics checked out - DV, cam follower and PCV.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2017, 06:03:27 pm »
Congrats.  :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline MeatHelmet1981

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2017, 06:06:35 pm »

Congrats on the purchase! When you say almost as quick as your Type R, are we talking EP3? If so, the GTI should feel quicker. I'm sure you've read about the DV often splitting, which can lose you quite a bit of power.

Cheers, these are on the list of things to check in the next month or so.

Yep, the EP3 definitely had a more savage feel to the acceleration. Maybe it was the noise. The GTi certainly pulls better through the gears though. Lovely and smooth.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2017, 06:28:53 pm »

Cheers, these are on the list of things to check in the next month or so.

Yep, the EP3 definitely had a more savage feel to the acceleration. Maybe it was the noise. The GTi certainly pulls better through the gears though. Lovely and smooth.
This kind of conversation has come up a few times on here actually - Type R vs GTI. It's probably not an even comparison, they both go about making 200bhp in completely different ways, as you know.

One massive advantage, if you're into tuning, is that ~280bhp can be achieved with much less cash than it'd take with the n/a Type R. 300bhp and beyond is also straightforward, and can all be done with OEM parts. Although there's loads of choice in terms of high quality aftermarket hardware, too.

Enjoy the new car mate. Any issues or questions, get them posted up

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2017, 07:06:12 pm »
The EP3 is easier to hustle along quickly as it has a vastly superior gearshift, much shorter gearing and stiffer suspension.  They are quick cars  :smiley:

The GTI is the much nicer daily car though  :happy2: