Make a donation

Author Topic: New Grille - What should it look like?  (Read 7370 times)

Offline matt74

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
New Grille - What should it look like?
« on: August 16, 2017, 08:10:37 pm »
The main front grille on my Ed30 is a faded mess so I bought another from eBay. It's a very high gloss black but is this what the OEM part would have looked like new or would it have been a more matte finish? It looks painted to me.

The lower grille I bought from a different supplier is just regular black moulded plastic, no gloss at all, more like the fog surrounds but not matching the upper main grille.

Since mine are so far gone I can't tell what is should look like.

To be honest, most of what I could find didn't look that great so these seemed the least worse options although the red surround is a bit crap.

Have I bought junk that look nothing like OEM and is there a better source if I have?

Thanks

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: New Grille - What should it look like?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:22:34 pm »
The main front grille on my Ed30 is a faded mess so I bought another from eBay. It's a very high gloss black but is this what the OEM part would have looked like new or would it have been a more matte finish? It looks painted to me.

The lower grille I bought from a different supplier is just regular black moulded plastic, no gloss at all, more like the fog surrounds but not matching the upper main grille.

Since mine are so far gone I can't tell what is should look like.

To be honest, most of what I could find didn't look that great so these seemed the least worse options although the red surround is a bit crap.

Have I bought junk that look nothing like OEM and is there a better source if I have?

Thanks
Good question... for me at least. My grille is also a faded grey. I've been meaning to get it sprayed up in gloss black for ages. There are a few threads on the subject, some sprayed gloss, some plastidipped, with variable success.

The grilles when new were normal black plastic. No paint or gloss effect. Look great new I'd imagine, but turn crap over time.

If you're saying you can buy a replacement set that's already gloss, I'm interested in how good it is in terms of fit and finish. Is it painted? A different plastic? Can you get the full set in the same gloss finish - top, bottom, and fog grilles?

And can you upload some piccies??

Offline matt74

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:50:53 pm »
This is the one I bought

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK5-GTI-FRONT-GRILLE-WITH-RED-MOULDING-INSURANCE-APPROVED-GRILLE/142474074988?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I chose it because it didn't look like a gloss finish in the pics but it is.

Here's another I didn't buy as it looked gloss but what I have is just like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK5-GTI-2004-2009-FRONT-BUMPER-GRILLE/322140820783?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D45564%26meid%3D8142b6fca8a143d1ad8b8673609f71b3%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dag%26sd%3D142474074988&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Some pics I just took. The whole piece is gloss black, similar hard plastic as the OEM version. The red strip is not as glossy or red (though looks it in the pics) but might be possible to swap over the original. I've not had the original grille off to see if the fitting is the same.

The back of the part is just a matte plastic so possible it's been painted. I suspect it's paint as it has a very fine orange peel effect on it under a strong light. Not such that it looks bad, just if you really look closely it looks like a paint.

The lower grille is just a softer bendy plastic. Like a tupperware box I guess! No surface finish on it, straight out of a mould but decent enough.

...and here's another set I just took a punt on - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-MK5-GOLF-GTI-GRILLE-GRILL-SET-COMPLETE-FOG-LIGHTS-CENTRE-GRILLES-NEW/172822093000?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

This looks more like what I would expect OEM was, matte mesh with gloss surround.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:55:38 pm by matt74 »

MPS

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 10:07:30 pm »
The lower grille is what the OEM finish is like, satin black. I've been informed by a retired toolmaker the proper term for this effect is 'Spark-eroded finish'. It is more difficult and expensive to achieve this finish in manufacture, hence why the cheap parts are, well, cheap looking. This is the gamble with eBay parts I suppose, you're relying on a photo.

I went a different route and resprayed my faded upper grille with 'Autotek Black Bumper & Trim paint', I bought this off Amazon (there is a charcoal grey one as well, that had iffy reviews though so I stuck with satin black)

I got a great finish, 10 months later it is peeling a little in places, however this will be due to me not applying a primer coat beforehand. Its not that noticeable though and still looks MILES better than it did before (A horrible, bluey-grey faded look).

I'll try and get some photos

:happy2:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:09:56 pm by MPS »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:40:39 pm »
Excellent info, guys. I'll dig into the links tomorrow.

Matt, let us know what the fit is like please.

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 11:20:04 pm »
That new upper grille is aftermarket. It should be satin, not gloss, and match the lower grille. Never mind the plasti-dip on the center portion  :happy2:
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline matt74

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 07:34:27 am »
Excellent info, guys. I'll dig into the links tomorrow.

Matt, let us know what the fit is like please.

Will do. I'll have a play around with them at the weekend and report back.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 11:50:07 am »
That painted grille looks ace!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 05:12:56 pm »
I've just ordered one.. ;)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 09:46:33 am »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 01:08:44 pm »

Me too  :happy2:
What are your plans for the lower grille? I think I'm going to try matching it (and the fog ones) to the gloss one.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 02:10:45 pm »

What are your plans for the lower grille? I think I'm going to try matching it (and the fog ones) to the gloss one.

I haven't thought that far ahead yet.  It will be going into the 'parts room' for now  :grin:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 07:47:30 pm »

I haven't thought that far ahead yet.  It will be going into the 'parts room' for now  :grin:
I've got one of those rooms. Problem is, the pile of bits never shrinks. Need to get my arse in gear and fit/sell some!

Offline matt74

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 07:42:15 pm »
…an update

After receiving the gloss version of the grille I ordered a second set of bits that looked more OEM with a satin finish on the badge surround and honeycomb grille.

Bought these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-MK5-GOLF-GTI-GRILLE-GRILL-SET-COMPLETE-FOG-LIGHTS-CENTRE-GRILLES-NEW/172822093000?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

From this seller http://stores.ebay.co.uk/abr-automotive?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

This kit contains the two grilles, fog surrounds, number plate plinth and badges. All the grille and fog surrounds match. Looks like this.

I then fitted them…

This is my before grille shot. Lots of blue/grey plastic. Lovely.

Took it all off, fairly easy, but a good few tangs and prongs so go easy.

Lower grille fitted no problem.

Fog surrounds, not such a good fit as you can see from the pics.

They looked OK side by side with the OEM part so maybe they are a bit curved or needed a bit of a bash to fit tightly. In any case, can't live with the gaps so I cleaned up and refitted the OEM parts and will give these a going over with some Gtechniq trim stuff at some point as they are easy to remove.

Now to fit the main grille. As mentioned in my earlier post the quality of the red surround on the pattern part is not so good. It’s just red moulded plastic that looks dull. Decided to swap it for the OEM trim.

Impressed with the quality of this, it appears to be painted as it can be chipped. Tip here is to work it out from the back. Don’t use tools from the front. And take it slow, this is a fragile part and the tangs are very thin.

Fitted easily to the pattern part.

Remember to transfer the metal clips from the lower prongs of the panel. These are needed when you put the lower screws back through the lower grille. Note how they go on too as you’ll be taking the grille on and off if you don’t…like me. The clips also fell off behind the lower grille, so that had to come off again too to get them out.

So, large pieces of pattern plastic don’t fit as easily as OEM. Hardly news to anyone. These fit pretty well. Needed a bit of gentle manhandling and strategic swearing. It fits but the leading top edges not so well but we're talking a few mil and these are hidden by the bonnet so not a problem at all.

Here it is all fitted. Reg plate holder to go on tomorrow which will need to be measured carefully to position properly as there are no guide holes. Unless they are on the back. I’m not going to check now.

A few spare parts…

Pattern plastic not so robust…

Conclusion of this?

1. Car looks better.
2. Prolific use of the C word helps with the fitting of pattern parts.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 07:46:21 pm by matt74 »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2017, 04:33:10 pm »
…an update

After receiving the gloss version of the grille I ordered a second set of bits that looked more OEM with a satin finish on the badge surround and honeycomb grille.

Bought these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-MK5-GOLF-GTI-GRILLE-GRILL-SET-COMPLETE-FOG-LIGHTS-CENTRE-GRILLES-NEW/172822093000?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

From this seller http://stores.ebay.co.uk/abr-automotive?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

This kit contains the two grilles, fog surrounds, number plate plinth and badges. All the grille and fog surrounds match. Looks like this.

I then fitted them…

This is my before grille shot. Lots of blue/grey plastic. Lovely.

Took it all off, fairly easy, but a good few tangs and prongs so go easy.

Lower grille fitted no problem.

Fog surrounds, not such a good fit as you can see from the pics.

They looked OK side by side with the OEM part so maybe they are a bit curved or needed a bit of a bash to fit tightly. In any case, can't live with the gaps so I cleaned up and refitted the OEM parts and will give these a going over with some Gtechniq trim stuff at some point as they are easy to remove.

Now to fit the main grille. As mentioned in my earlier post the quality of the red surround on the pattern part is not so good. It’s just red moulded plastic that looks dull. Decided to swap it for the OEM trim.

Impressed with the quality of this, it appears to be painted as it can be chipped. Tip here is to work it out from the back. Don’t use tools from the front. And take it slow, this is a fragile part and the tangs are very thin.

Fitted easily to the pattern part.

Remember to transfer the metal clips from the lower prongs of the panel. These are needed when you put the lower screws back through the lower grille. Note how they go on too as you’ll be taking the grille on and off if you don’t…like me. The clips also fell off behind the lower grille, so that had to come off again too to get them out.

So, large pieces of pattern plastic don’t fit as easily as OEM. Hardly news to anyone. These fit pretty well. Needed a bit of gentle manhandling and strategic swearing. It fits but the leading top edges not so well but we're talking a few mil and these are hidden by the bonnet so not a problem at all.

Here it is all fitted. Reg plate holder to go on tomorrow which will need to be measured carefully to position properly as there are no guide holes. Unless they are on the back. I’m not going to check now.

A few spare parts…

Pattern plastic not so robust…

Conclusion of this?

1. Car looks better.
2. Prolific use of the C word helps with the fitting of pattern parts.
Nice little write up mate. Huge improvement from the horrible blue/grey original that we all know and hate!

Am I right in saying the gloss grille in the original post is redundant then? I'm sure you'll be able to sell it on. I'd have had it but I ordered one myself off ebay.

Fingers crossed it fits nicely and doesn't contrast too much with the satin lower grille. I like the idea of not having to paint it to match.

That'll leave the fog grilles. I might look into some new open/vented ones, and decide about painting once I can compare all the grilles in the flesh.