Make a donation

Author Topic: New Grille - What should it look like?  (Read 7364 times)

Offline matt74

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: New Grille - What should it look like?
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 06:27:08 pm »
Thanks. It's only when I put the new parts on you see how bad the originals were. I think the gloss version will look good too. Gloss for the upper part then satin for the lower, matching the fog surrounds. I don't think it will look odd.

Not decided on what to do with the spare gloss one. If I sell it I'll do it on here though. I tend to hoard parts, got bits of trim and interior for another car, plastics for a bike, wheels....you know, usual stuff!

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 06:26:34 pm »
I received mine today - the gloss version linked to in the original post.

Although it's probably not a reliable means of comparison, looking at your photos I'm not entirely convinced we have the same manufacturer...

It is 'gloss', but I'm 99% sure the honeycomb isn't painted. It looks ok (loads better than the grey original) but doesn't have the visual impact that a nice glossy deep black paint would.

It did have this tell-tale label on the back, from the factory. So maybe that'll tell us whether it's a different manufacturer:

The red stripe is crap. I'll be fitting the OEM stripe into this after its had a couple of passes of Tornado Red.

The main black bit behind the number plate holder is definitely painted, and not brilliantly, so I will at the very least try a bit of compound and polish to see if it can be improved.

I'm in two minds whether to leave the honeycomb as it is, or paint it gloss black along with the lower one and fogs (when I get new ones of those).

Hmmm. Still a step in the right direction for me anyway, the current faded OEM grille has a lovely gash in it from my neighbour's 4x4...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 06:28:22 pm by AJP »

Offline eddie pk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 06:36:25 pm »
i looked into replacing my faded front grill , wanted to keep the fit and quality of the oem one. in the end i decided to use g tech c4 on it.spent more time on the prep than the application and it came out fine in the end. time will tell how long it lasts. seems a bit of a lottery on the quality of replacement plastics. great write up though and will help others  :happy2:

Offline matt74

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 08:41:02 pm »
Just took a look at my gloss one. No stickers on the back just this.

Here's a closeup of the finish on the honeycomb part, slight orange peel which is why I thought it could be painted. The rest of the surround doesn't have this though. Other distinguishing feature is it's pre-drilled with holes for the number plate holder

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 09:24:40 pm »
Just took a look at my gloss one. No stickers on the back just this.

Here's a closeup of the finish on the honeycomb part, slight orange peel which is why I thought it could be painted. The rest of the surround doesn't have this though. Other distinguishing feature is it's pre-drilled with holes for the number plate holder

Yep, definitely different to mine. Yours is painted. Damn.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2017, 08:20:07 am »
Lol, I haven't bothered to unbox mine after reading the last few posts.  I had a hunch it would be far eastern rubbish  :grin:

I'm going to get new OEM plastics and take them to a local bodyshop. It's the only way to get a lasting decent finish.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Oldy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2017, 05:30:54 pm »
Interesting this.  I've been trying to decide for some time whether I should replace the existing grill.  Quite frankly I can't remember what it looked like from new, but it is now a pewter colour, which is the same as the insets in the handle in the tailgate, so it looks "considered".  To that extent I am inclined to leave it alone.  I  certainly don't fancy buying a set that is ill fitting.

However I came across this:

http://www.xenonz.co.uk/store/p84/GOLF_MK5_GTI_GRILL_SET.html

Has anyone fitted this?  At the price it may be worth a punt, although I am not convinced about a gloss finish!

Offline Dave_d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2017, 07:09:51 pm »
Would a blow over of satin black paint make a faded one look half decent ? By half decent I mean not blue/grey

Offline matt74

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2017, 08:43:22 pm »
Interesting this.  I've been trying to decide for some time whether I should replace the existing grill.  Quite frankly I can't remember what it looked like from new, but it is now a pewter colour, which is the same as the insets in the handle in the tailgate, so it looks "considered".  To that extent I am inclined to leave it alone.  I  certainly don't fancy buying a set that is ill fitting.

However I came across this:

http://www.xenonz.co.uk/store/p84/GOLF_MK5_GTI_GRILL_SET.html

Has anyone fitted this?  At the price it may be worth a punt, although I am not convinced about a gloss finish!

That looks very similar to the set I bought though it says made in house. Similar price too before the reduction. The grille parts all look satin plastic to me so OEM look.

This grille business is a right lottery isn't it.

Offline Oldy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2017, 04:17:11 pm »
@matt74  sure is a lottery!  Has anyone priced up a grille from VW?

Offline 99hagued

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 23
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 12:16:16 am »
I bought some eBay ones which I sent back as they were shocking quality, then tried spraying with plastidip which looked mint but started peeling off after a few months. So ended up biting the bullet and buying genuine from Tps upper grille was £140 lower grille £40

Offline Optimistictim

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2017, 06:54:15 pm »
I bought some eBay ones which I sent back as they were shocking quality, then tried spraying with plastidip which looked mint but started peeling off after a few months. So ended up biting the bullet and buying genuine from Tps upper grille was £140 lower grille £40

What badge is that? Looks great!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 10:35:32 pm »

That really is shocking! What TF are you supposed to do with that?!

I'm starting to think I 'got a good one'.