Make a donation

Author Topic: 245s.... anyone done it?  (Read 9547 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: 245s.... anyone done it?
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2017, 07:11:43 pm »
I have no traction issues with PS4 in the dry.  In the wet I get the TC light flickering if I'm ham fisted with the throttle. KO3s spool faster than KO4s though, which is probably why you're having problems AJP.  Nothing really happens until 3000rpm on the KO4, by which time the car has plenty of momentum when throwing the anvil down.  Laggy turbos are actually useful in FWD applications  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2017, 07:36:20 pm »
I have no traction issues with PS4 in the dry.  In the wet I get the TC light flickering if I'm ham fisted with the throttle. KO3s spool faster than KO4s though, which is probably why you're having problems AJP.  Nothing really happens until 3000rpm on the KO4, by which time the car has plenty of momentum when throwing the anvil down.  Laggy turbos are actually useful in FWD applications  :happy2:

My K04 hits its spike at 2500 rpm and at 3000 rpm the boost is already stabilising at 1.24 bar. It spins the wheels if pushed hard too soon but it improves when using more track focused tyres.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2017, 04:15:50 am »
Mmmm. Now you're talking. Remember Azev A? I doubt they'd be light enough to make this feasible, but they're one of my favourites.
the were beautiful wheels AJP my favourites and still like them if I could get them for the gti I would have lol
245's way too wide so better just to have good branded 225 or maybe 235 tyres  :grin:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2017, 12:28:24 pm »
Mmmm. Now you're talking. Remember Azev A? I doubt they'd be light enough to make this feasible, but they're one of my favourites.
the were beautiful wheels AJP my favourites and still like them if I could get them for the gti I would have lol
245's way too wide so better just to have good branded 225 or maybe 235 tyres  :grin:
A few of us showing our age in this thread mate

If I got the wider wings I'd definitely be able to get 245s under. It's just whether it's all worth it.

I'm currently on Michelin PS4, which are really damn good. I might be tempted to try the Cup 2 like Shoduchi mentioned..

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2017, 12:31:24 pm »
So what you're saying, Shoduchi and Pudding, is that I should go k04 to solve my traction issues...?

Ok, I'm sold! It'll happen one day. I think it's inevitable

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2017, 12:46:17 pm »
I'd try the Pilot Cup 2 first. Fitting 235/40R18 tyres would increase the diameter of your wheels a bit, so the cluster speedometer would need to be set for that as well.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=sajeoda86jq0tht8d2d8h1g9h3&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2017, 03:43:51 pm »
You need fwd then in that case.

You mean AWD, right? :confused:

I'd recommend the AD08R or Pilot Cup 2 during the dry season. It would help a lot. They're also not that noisy.

Sorry, yes I meant 4wd  :slap:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2017, 02:11:28 am »

If I got the wider wings I'd definitely be able to get 245s under. It's just whether it's all worth it.

I'm currently on Michelin PS4, which are really damn good. I might be tempted to try the Cup 2 like Shoduchi mentioned..
:signLOL: yeah who cares those wheels were the best for those days lol

Why would you want wider heavier tyres mate, I'm stuck on ko3 2+ and don't have any traction issues like I used to have of you remember me crying about wheel spin a while back?. Now I'm loving it and don't have any of the now, slight spin at times but nothing like when I had those budget rubbish tyres the car came with that's for sure!!! I'm happy with it although I've got super pro ALK and H&R roll bars which help a lot too. What's your car  specs again?.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2017, 07:16:11 am »

Why would you want wider heavier tyres mate, I'm stuck on ko3 2+ and don't have any traction issues like I used to have of you remember me crying about wheel spin a while back?. Now I'm loving it and don't have any of the now, slight spin at times but nothing like when I had those budget rubbish tyres the car came with that's for sure!!! I'm happy with it although I've got super pro ALK and H&R roll bars which help a lot too. What's your car  specs again?.
I don't have an ALK or uprated roll bars. I'm sure these would help with grip, but maybe make things a bit too stiff (I'm on coilovers).

Uprated engine mounts should help.

Just exploring the options mate

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2017, 07:20:49 am »
Why not try Cup 2 on front first? That should reduce understeer as well as increasing traction.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2017, 02:52:10 pm »

I don't have an ALK or uprated roll bars. I'm sure these would help with grip, but maybe make things a bit too stiff (I'm on coilovers).

The ALK and decent engine mounts, as well as decent geometry all help! 

The wheelhop must drive you mad??!  :rolleye:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2017, 04:30:40 pm »

The ALK and decent engine mounts, as well as decent geometry all help! 

The wheelhop must drive you mad??!  :rolleye:
It doesn't drive me mad, but it does make me wonder if there's a better way!

ALK, mounts and ARBs have always been on the to-do list. I'll see how I get on once they're ticked off.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2017, 04:44:58 pm »
They're essential on these cars for aggressive driving!

Get those done first, and a Gripper diff  :smiley:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=sajeoda86jq0tht8d2d8h1g9h3&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2017, 05:37:14 pm »
Diff on public roads is 98.5% waste of time. Great for the 1.5% but a lot of money for those moments.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: August 22, 2017, 01:27:31 am »

imho AJP the roll bars and additions don't give you a stiff ride as you put it as I'd be the first to moan like a beech tree  :signLOL:

Updated Engine mounts will give to a headache  :doh: