Make a donation

Author Topic: Creaky Front End - Intermittent  (Read 4894 times)

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
Creaky Front End - Intermittent
« on: August 18, 2017, 09:58:04 am »
Hi all, been chasing an intermittent creak at the front for 6 weeks or so. I say intermittent because soon as the weather is damp or I jack the Car up the creak disappears for 50+ miles. Noise can be best described as a creaky door I.e. A kind of "wooden" sounding creak.

I finally got it to my garage today with the noise present and the mechanic had his head under the car whilst I rocked the steering back and forth to cause the creak. He couldn't feel vibration in any of the usual suspect components and top mount bearings seem fine he said. Booked in for next Tuesday for a more in-depth look.

When the noise is present it's only when steering at low speeds (up to 5mph) or stationary any quicker there is no creaking, even when chucking the car about a bit. Also only really caused by turning the wheel left, from nearly any position. The car seems to drive fine still, little to no noise on rough surfaces or over speed bumps.

Has anyone had (and solved) a similar issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current:
Mk6 R, Tornado Red, 5-door, '13.
Previous:
Mk5 GTI, Tornado Red, 3-door, '06, R-tech Stage "1+"

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Creaky Front End - Intermittent
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 10:12:15 am »
I traced a similar noise to the driver's side CV boot pleats rubbing on themselves on full lock.  A quick test for that one would be to spray some silicon lube onto the boots, but not so much as it flicks off onto the brakes.

Have you done the Tyrol deadsest yet?  That gets rid of a bunch of noises apparently.

If not any of that, you'll need to systematically go through all the things that could make a noise when turned - top mounts, springs, steering rack etc etc.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 10:51:48 am »
Thanks for that pudding. Just had a look at the Tyrol deadest kit, hadn't heard of it before. The description could be read to match what I'm experiencing, but without further investigation I don't really want to spend the £200. Not really cheap enough to just have a go and see!

I believe my mechanic intends to go around with some lube to identify the culprit if he continues to struggle to find the source. I'll mention the subframe as a suspect to him though to see what he thinks.

ECS also do a subframe bolt and spacer kit. Would this be trying to combat the same sort of thing as the Tyrol kit? The main difference being it is much, much cheaper!

Current:
Previous:

Offline splashalot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: MY2008 Mk5 Manual 5dr GTI Tornado Red
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 11:29:57 am »

.....When the noise is present it's only when steering at low speeds (up to 5mph) or stationary any quicker there is no creaking, even when chucking the car about a bit. Also only really caused by turning the wheel left, from nearly any position. The car seems to drive fine still, little to no noise on rough surfaces or over speed bumps.

Has anyone had (and solved) a similar issue?

I'm on my third steering rack and those ^ are the exact symptoms I had when the first two both failed.  Maybe start the diagnosis process with the steering rack and go from there if it is all clear.

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2017, 11:34:17 am »
*winces* I'm imagining a steering rack and labour is not cheap?

Did you have the same situation where the noises would disappear with wet weather? Trying to be optimistic, I was hoping this fact alone could suggest it just being a component being "lubed" with a bit of water. Is the steering rack a sealed unit?

Current:
Previous:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 11:34:42 am »
ECS kit isnt a comparison to the Tyrolsport

What you describe to me sounds exactly like my subframe issues and I've solved mine for the time being using the shim/spacer thing, the two uprated Audi bolts and all new bolts for the rest of the front end

When my rack went, it started with a knocking noise when driving over uneven surfaces, had no detectable play or evidence of any fault with the rack. I changed it as i had already replaced everything else on the front end and there was nothing else that could have caused the knocking issue
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 11:35:07 am »
No worries chap.

I'm sticking the Tyrol set onto mine this weekend, so I'll report back.   The precision and quality of the Tyrol stuff, along with ARP bolts is what sets it apart from the cheaper solutions.  I'm not saying the cheaper parts don't do the job though, it's just that loads of people have used the Tyrol kit and it appears to be a definitive fix :happy2:

I'm thinking it may be related to your front struts, since unloading them seems to fix it temporarily.

As others have said, the rack is high on the suspect list too, but didn't want to mention that yet as it's bloody expensive.....from VW at least.  You can get refurbished ones for a lot less though.   Have your mechanic put the steering on full lock (both directions) and really tug on the fully extended rack. If there is even the slightest amount of play, it's on it's way out.   They can carry on working fine like that, but the play and noises will irritate you eventually.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:38:38 am by Pudding »

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 11:47:21 am »
All read and understood, guys. Thanks.

Gives me a few points for conversation with the mechanic on Tuesday. As always, I'll report back with any findings. Fingers crossed for a relatively simple solution!

Current:
Previous:

Offline splashalot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 11:58:53 am »
*winces* I'm imagining a steering rack and labour is not cheap?

Did you have the same situation where the noises would disappear with wet weather? Trying to be optimistic, I was hoping this fact alone could suggest it just being a component being "lubed" with a bit of water. Is the steering rack a sealed unit?

Yep, the noise in mine used to disappear in wet weather.  I suspect the lack of friction when turning the contact patch on wet surfaces meant the rack wasn't stressed as much as on dry roads.  Both mine were replaced under warranty by the dealer early-ish in the car's life.  Approx $3,000au job at the dealer.(Edit: ~ 1,800 UK Pounds on today's exchange rate)  I was told the third rack was a revised part, which after subsequent reading, I suspect was the Mk6 rack.  I understand these fix the issue permanently.  I've had no issues with it in the ~six or seven years (sorry - hazy memory) since it was fitted.

But as Pudding and others rightly point out, those symptoms can equally be caused by other issues. 

Good luck - hope you get it sorted and it turns out to be only a field mouse in the strut.  :smiley:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 12:02:11 pm by splashalot »

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 09:02:29 pm »

I'm sticking the Tyrol set onto mine this weekend, so I'll report back.   The precision and quality of the Tyrol stuff, along with ARP bolts is what sets it apart from the cheaper solutions.  I'm not saying the cheaper parts don't do the job though, it's just that loads of people have used the Tyrol kit and it appears to be a definitive fix :happy2:

Will be very interested to hear how you get on with this Pudding. I've done a fair amount of reading up, and I think the Tyrol set is the one to go with as many on VWVortex who have used the 034 kit have experienced galvanic corrosion caused by the stainless steel on aluminium subframe, and has caused them issues after the initial improvement the kit gives. I haven't read such issues with the Tyrol one.

Am pretty sure the front subframe is moving on mine  - there's creaks and cracks at times, no knocking. Something's not right...

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline Pirelli_Reece

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 4
  • 2008 Pirelli Edition GTI
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 03:55:54 am »
Are you lowered? Sounds similar to the noise I'm getting from my car which appears to be the driveshaft rubbing on the anti roll bar. I know this because I can see where the sticker has worn away on the driveshaft.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 06:53:31 pm »

Will be very interested to hear how you get on with this Pudding. I've done a fair amount of reading up, and I think the Tyrol set is the one to go with as many on VWVortex who have used the 034 kit have experienced galvanic corrosion caused by the stainless steel on aluminium subframe, and has caused them issues after the initial improvement the kit gives. I haven't read such issues with the Tyrol one.

Am pretty sure the front subframe is moving on mine  - there's creaks and cracks at times, no knocking. Something's not right...

Fitted it today and it's well worth doing.  Mine was making all sorts of noises and they've all gone now. The only noise I've got now is the front calipers or pads clicking with light pedal pressure, but that's no biggie to sort.

I cannot get across how good the kit it is.  It's the only deadset to use imo.  When you get the bits in your hand, you will see why.  Have a look in the What you did to your MK5 today thread for pics.

Offline f00glee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2017, 12:14:21 pm »
An update on this. Garage spent an hour and a half on the car yesterday homing in on the source of the noise. They identified the subframe but commented that the noise was "unusual" with no sign of loose bolts. They removed part of the subframe, I believe, and found a tiny piece of stone with metallic deposits embedded into it on either side, indicating that it had been squished. This was apparently wedged in between the subframe and steering rack, potentially causing the issue. Also on top of the subframe piece were two t25x~15mm type bolts and a small black torx head screw. No idea where from - certainly not lost by me in the last 16 months.

So fingered crossed this was the cause of the issue. I have to admit that I'm sceptical but the noise has gone for now. Seems too simple to be true! Only time will tell if this was a red herring. I'll be listening intently each time I get in the car for the next few days/weeks.

Current:
Previous:

Offline splashalot

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2017, 01:04:27 pm »
Thanks for the update - I was wondering how you got on.  Fingers crossed you've found the source  :happy2:

Offline Kierandewberry21

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 02:36:25 pm »
Did the noise ever come back?