Make a donation

Author Topic: Insurance question  (Read 2312 times)

Offline QDanzer

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Insurance question
« on: August 19, 2017, 12:03:42 am »
Hello

I have a question about insurance, hope someone could help me.

So I'm going to book my insurance to start on the 1st September, I don't have 2 years ncd now but I will on the start date I'm booking it for.  So is it okay for me to put 2 years ncd when filling out the form now?

Like what would happen if I had an accident between now and 1st September? Sorry if this is a stupid question but I don't want it coming back on me incase an accident was to happen.

Thanks

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
Re: Insurance question
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 05:22:02 pm »
Just explain it to your insurers dude, or, just take out the new insurance once you have your 2nd year of NCD.

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 07:30:43 pm »
I think it'll be ok, because you'll be putting the details in for the start date.

If you're unfortunate to have an incident in the meantime, then you have to re-visit then, but be extra careful in between. This must be the case for lots of new-ish drivers, who are building up their no claims. I'm sure it'll be just fine :happy2:

Offline QDanzer

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 07:40:24 pm »
Just explain it to your insurers dude, or, just take out the new insurance once you have your 2nd year of NCD.

The only reason I'm asking is because I'm picking the car up the day I get back from holiday, literally straight from the airport to pick up the car and I don't want to be hassling about with insurance on the way.  I want to be able to get there and drive my GTI  :drool:

I'm not even driving at the moment, I think it'll be okay too I'm just trying to be safe, you know what insurers are like.  They'll find anything to not help you lol I'll ring them in the morning just to make sure.

Offline Adam0604

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,97534.0.html
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 08:10:33 pm »

The only reason I'm asking is because I'm picking the car up the day I get back from holiday, literally straight from the airport to pick up the car and I don't want to be hassling about with insurance on the way.  I want to be able to get there and drive my GTI  :drool:

I'm not even driving at the moment, I think it'll be okay too I'm just trying to be safe, you know what insurers are like.  They'll find anything to not help you lol I'll ring them in the morning just to make sure.

You'll need to send evidence of your NCD though, which you won't have for the 2nd year from your current insurance provider.

Offline QDanzer

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 08:19:02 pm »
You'll need to send evidence of your NCD though, which you won't have for the 2nd year from your current insurance provider.

Well I phoned the insurers I'm going with a couple weeks ago in regards to my NCD, I wanted to know how much time I had to give them my proof after taking out a policy with them.  The guy left the phone for 5 mins as he wasn't sure and came back and told me they don't even ask for proof.  They just take my word for it.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 09:20:57 pm »
Sorry if I've missed something here, but something doesn't add up to me.

You said in your original post that although you don't have 2 years NCB right now, you will have by 1st September.

You then go on to say that you're not actually driving right now.

That infers you don't have a current insurance policy. You can only accrue a NCB through actually being insured. Unless the rules have changed, you have to have been insured for a full year before the year of NCB is accrued. Being insured for any less time than a year accrues nothing.

If there's a break in the policy before you reach a full year, even if you've done 11 months, those 11 months don't count. The only exception to this is 'gap insurance', whereby you're allowed to bridge the gap between two policies.

For example:

Normal insurance. You do 9 months on one policy, then end the policy. You have no car for a month, or however long, so you have no need for insurance. You then start a new policy. Your NCB will be the same as what it was at the start of the previous policy you did 9 months on. Those 9 months aren't counted, as you didn't complete a full year.

With gap insurance, those 9 months are counted. So you'll accrue another year of NCB in 3 months, rather than in 12 months.

Offline QDanzer

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 09:28:45 pm »
Apologies, I should have been more clear.  My mk4 GTI blew an engine for the second time about a month ago so it's currently in the garage getting diagnosed.  My policy with said car runs out on the 31st august.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 09:30:28 pm by QDanzer »

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 09:47:26 pm »
Apologies, I should have been more clear.  My mk4 GTI blew an engine for the second time about a month ago so it's currently in the garage getting diagnosed.  My policy with said car runs out on the 31st august.
Ahh. Makes sense now!

It's a bit of a grey area. I'd imagine insurers check these things between themselves behind the scenes anyway, so yes, theoretically they should apply 2 years NCB to your new policy. But at the time of getting a quote and agreeing the terms of a policy you're still only on 1 year NCB. Fingers crossed you get the discount anyway, insurance is inflated in the first place. They're all cowboys in suits.

Offline QDanzer

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 10:41:58 pm »
Yep that's exactly what I'm thinking AJP.  Might just hold off and take half an hour  when I get there and set it all up, just to be safe.  Hope it doesn't inflate anymore in the next 2 weeks D:

The leather GTI interior could do with a wee warming whilst I set it up anyway  :grin: