Make a donation

Author Topic: Wet centre/near-side back seat after the rain...  (Read 654 times)

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Wet centre/near-side back seat after the rain...
« on: August 21, 2017, 11:47:44 am »
Hey guys,

After some quite heavy UK summer this year, my centre/near-side back seat has started showing signs of water marking, ala Turing shroud... see picture below.

...you'd have definitely felt it if you'd have sat on it  :scared:

It appears quite localised to the 'join' of the base of the seat, and the back. I've sprayed all the rear rubber door seals with silicon spray but I'm a bit stumped if it's not that. My car has a factory fitted sunroof, but I don't think it's that? Can't rule it out though. All the seals look good. I'd have thought there would have been some sign on the roof lining if it was the sunroof but apparently the roof lining is pvc backed?

I've completely taken all of the seats out now to clean etc, try and locate the source of the leak.

^^ That all looks nice and clean right?

The only viable, permanent damage so far is on the back of the bench seat:

One thing to note is I've noticed that when I lift the tailgate, after rain/washing etc. there is a lot of water running off on the near-side, right on top of the light cluster. Not a huge amount of water but enough to splash the contents of the boot.

If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated  :happy2:

Thanks.

Offline Dave_d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Wet centre/near-side back seat after the rain...
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 09:28:28 pm »
My car has the same problem as you. I also have the factory fitted sunroof. My car does not leak in the rain if pointing down a slope front first (my drive is on a slope). However if I face pointing the opposite way then my rear bench gets wet but more so on the drivers side. I believe one of the channels has become blocked and it has then popped off the connection, IIRC when I looked into where they drain to it is around the seat belt area on the pillar. Sorry I can't be anymore help. I just resided to park facing the opposite way so I didn't have to strip my liner out, however if I get a spare weekend I may just do so.

Dave
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 09:30:10 pm by Dave_d »

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 09:23:09 pm »
Thanks for the reply! I've had it suggested that it might be the sunroof drains, but no one wants to remove the roof lining!I've parked it all directions and I'm pretty certain the result is the same; wet back seats... you're right though, nose down does seem better.

I'm on a mission now, the seats aren't going back until I've sorted it  :confused:

Offline Dave_d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 09:36:08 am »
Good luck mate, come back when you've sorted it to let Everyone know how you got on. Helps anyone else in the same situation then  :happy2:

Offline theminty1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 10:18:37 am »
Remove boot carpet and see if its wet there. Mine was leaking behind the rear light cluster. There is a small black nut thingy on the body that is used to adjust the position of the cluster. Sat with a hose on the back of the car for 5mins and it appeared!
The other is the grommet from the hatch into the body of the car. Unlikely but poss. the aerial seal.
I thought it was the vents behind the rear bumper on each side but nope. Your photos like like its been leaking for a while so should be easy enough to find. Good luck

Oh last thing is if the hose is split for the rear washer. Remove the tailgate trim to check that one
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:20:32 am by theminty1 »
140 BKD GT TDi  5dr

Offline slipd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 09:23:29 pm »
Thanks both, looks like I'm on for a busy weekend... hoping to get it sorted before the 1st because I've got my MOT and I'll need to put the seat back in!

The last time I checked, all assembled, the boot and spare tyre well were all bone dry. I would think the leak is in front of that - as you say, possibly the pillar where the drain is.

Re: the light cluster scenario, did you just hose around the cluster and then wait for the water to appear?

Thanks.