Make a donation

Author Topic: Driver footwell water leak  (Read 3681 times)

Offline mosthammered

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Driver footwell water leak
« on: August 21, 2017, 11:55:55 am »
Hello, I am hoping to get some advice on what to check for a leak in the drivers footwell on my MK5 Golf. It's a 3 door with no sunroof. Every time it rains I get water build up in the drivers footwell. So for I have tried clearing out the drain holes underneath the wipers and inside of the wheel arches so that water can drain properly (these were clogged) and re-sealed the bonnet release grommet as it looked a bit worn. I've checked the windscreen and can't see any obvious leaks and I do not get any signs of the windows steaming up etc.

I did have a local garage check the leak but by their own admission they didn't really know what to look for. They stripped down the bottom half of the dash and left a hose on the car overnight. They said the water was leaking in through the brake servo but that to replace the seal on this they would need to remove the engine so I left it. While I don't doubt that water is leaking in through this I can't see how it's even getting down that far without draining or where it would build up to leak through the servo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 04:12:58 pm by mosthammered »

Offline mosthammered

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
Re: Driver footwell water leak
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 04:00:39 pm »
This issue is still ongoing, the car has been out of use for a while but have started using it again recently. Since the last post I have replaced the outer door seal on the drivers door and the windscreen has been replaced. Has anyone else had this issue that could give me some more ideas on where to look next?

Offline Dogma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 15
Driver footwell water leak
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 08:13:28 am »
Check that the Sil between the heater inlet and the bulkhead is not perished under the bonnet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MK5 ED30

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 11:29:47 am »
I was going to suggest getting the hose out... but if the garage seem to think that's where the waters coming in then who's to say they're wrong. Is the leak minor/damp or fairly heavy.. water?

Apart from having a play around with a hose (or a jug) yourself and take a good look, I don't know what to suggest.

Offline mosthammered

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 04:08:29 pm »
Check that the Sil between the heater inlet and the bulkhead is not perished under the bonnet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the tip. I will check that out.

I was going to suggest getting the hose out... but if the garage seem to think that's where the waters coming in then who's to say they're wrong. Is the leak minor/damp or fairly heavy.. water?

Apart from having a play around with a hose (or a jug) yourself and take a good look, I don't know what to suggest.

I have tried leaving a hose on it but it seems to seep in slowly, there's no obvious stream of water or dripping that I can see. It's almost as if the damp is coming from underneath the carpet. I guess the next step is to pull out all of the carpet and see if I can find anything then. There isn't a massive amount of water coming in but if left over a few days of heavy rain a small puddle forms.

Thank you for the responses.

Offline OneMoreWound

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2020, 11:06:25 pm »
Did you ever manage to solve this?

I’m currently having the same issue and it’s doing my head in. Have had the scuttle panel out and have cleared any debris from the drainage point, checked the bonnet release cable grommet which seemed fine but it put some sealant around it for good measure and water is still managing to get in when it rains.

It’s the drivers side and seems to be under the carpet like you said. I’ve had the carpet half up and can feel that it’s wet behind the pedals but still have absolutely no idea where it’s making it’s way in from so would be interested to find out what the cause to your issues were if you managed to solve them?

Thanks!

Offline MKMike

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 07:41:29 pm »
did you get any results mate? I got two leaks, major one on drivers side and small one on passengers. Took it through a carwash and that's where I could sort of pinpoint where it was coming from,