Make a donation

Author Topic: The nightmare of the cam follower continues!  (Read 1753 times)

Offline jacobrownoly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
The nightmare of the cam follower continues!
« on: August 22, 2017, 07:48:55 pm »
Total nightmare!

So long story short! Couple of weeks ago the cam follower failed in the car after a good 20k miles on the revo Stage 2+. Unfortunately not only did it destroy the auto tech pump and cam but we also had to replace the cam shaft itself as the lobe was worn due to the cam F and pump fail.

We replaced the new cam shaft (big job) and fuel pump aswell as the timing belt and water pump as this was needing done too. I should add in regards to the timing belt  we did noticed that the belt was one tooth out so we have now amended this.

After putting the car back together we tried to start it and at first it seemed to tick over fine (giving it a good amount of revs) for about 30-40 secs but we stopped as the car seemed to be leaking fuel from the new HPFP (that really awkward nightmare bolt on the bottom on pump)

We tighten this up and appeared to be all good. We then tried to start the car again with no luck. The car flooded itself with fuel

When we take the plugs out and turned it over, large amounts of fuel came out of the cylinders, also dripping fuel from exhaust middle join near rear of car. Every time we leave it overnight to dry we again fit the plugs and coils back on and try again, but starts and only runs on tick over, the car then seems to get overwhelmed with fuel and floods. We have tried this 2-3 times now drying it out each time with no luck. It seems like the injectors are stuck on  :thinking:

We have scanned the car with VAG but no issues come up, the only think that took my eye was the Low Pressure Fuel Sensor (G410) but I am sure this was the fault that came up once the pump failed in the first place.

My dad (A very experienced mechanic is totally baffled by the whole situation)

Any ideas ? Apart for a new car :(

Thanks for your time

Jack

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
Re: The nightmare of the cam follower continues!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:10:18 pm »
What tool did you scan the vehicle with?

The section on the fuel system is worth a read to help understand the inner workings of the system.

http://vwts.ru/engine/axx_bwa/axx_bwa_20_fsi_eng.pdf

(The link to click on is in the centre section 3/4 the way down the page)

I would be rechecking your work and the electrical connections including any earths which may not of been reconnected from my clouded memory.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 09:12:49 pm by doylebros »

Offline jacobrownoly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 03:02:06 pm »
Anyone know how to use VAG to test injectors? Ie open and close them from VAG??

Thanks

Offline jacobrownoly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2017, 07:35:28 pm »
BUMP, could really do with some help on this. Thanks

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 06:09:41 am »
You can't as far as i am aware. Only thing you can do is look at the injection time in ms to see how long the ecu is firing the injectors in turn. I'd also be looking at all fuel pressure readings during the short time you have it running and checking the timing... blocks 91 and 93 if I remember rightly.... I wouldn't be surprised if timing is out... ecu will add as much fuel as it thinks it needs to in order to increase engine torque to maintain an idle....
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 06:11:28 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline jacobrownoly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 08:44:03 pm »
You can't as far as i am aware. Only thing you can do is look at the injection time in ms to see how long the ecu is firing the injectors in turn. I'd also be looking at all fuel pressure readings during the short time you have it running and checking the timing... blocks 91 and 93 if I remember rightly.... I wouldn't be surprised if timing is out... ecu will add as much fuel as it thinks it needs to in order to increase engine torque to maintain an idle....

Hi Dan thanks first of all! So...You are saying because we now corrected the timing belt that the ECU is adding more fuel to compensate??

Thanks