Make a donation

Author Topic: What the frig have I done to my canbus gateway :-O  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Dave_d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 5
What the frig have I done to my canbus gateway :-O
« on: August 29, 2017, 09:23:16 pm »
Hi guys, I have a rcd510 out of a Chinese vw, I fitted into my car the other day that but didn't plug it in as I needed a new updated canbus, my current canbus is a 1k0 canbus revision F. I bought a new canbus off eBay (7N0 907 530AQ) that I want to put all my settings on so that I don't get the battery drain here is where I'm confused about what's gone on...

I loaded up VCDS, took photos of all of my installation list  including the BYTE section, 
Removed the canbus and plugged the new one in, went into the installation list and ticked everything that I had previously, went to confirm it and it came up with 3 options, I think they went along the lines of

1 - continue with the current value I think it said,
2 - something about default values,
3 - cancel I think it was.

I think I selected number 2, however can't be too sure as panic started to set in when I was getting pings from my dash saying my airbags are fault, reverse light and fog lights. In the installation list it said everything was ticked as it previously looked, but when I went into the byte selection there was hardly any options or anything. No lights or settings or naff all. What's gone wrong  :scared: :scared: :scared:  in the end I swapped my old canbus over as it was getting dark and I am getting too stressed about it all

Any clues to what to do?  :slap:

Thanks

Dave

Offline Dave_d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: What the frig have I done to my canbus gateway :-O
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 09:35:42 pm »
These are my current settings / installation list on my 1k0 canbus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MintyUK

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2017, 10:56:45 am »
I did exactly the same thing as you, put in a chinese RCD510 and a new canbus, only problem I had was that I had to change the settings to right hand drive so the lights were setup properly.

I remember after installation I cleared all the DTC's with VCDS and all was well. Have you cleared the fault codes aftwer the install? you should be fine then

cheerio

Minty

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2017, 01:47:44 pm »
What version canbus did you fit?
If it's a newer one, it's possible vcds does not know the settings available for it.

Are you on the latest version vcds? this will ensure you have the up to date label files.
If not on latest version, this is probably part of the problem.

If still stuck, and have a genuine vcds, contact Ross tech with a full scan and they should be able to help.

Jas

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)

Offline Ripstop

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 11:44:21 pm »
The newer canbus with the 7N0 designation does not use the old long byte coding method. It uses the Gateway installation list only and minimal byte coding like RHD or LHD and number of doors. I was sold one very similar on Ebay and couldn't quite get the coding correct. I have the latest VCDS and it was doable but I chickened out when I tried to clear all the errors and couldn't. The hardware and software versions are massively different.

In the end I bought another gateway with a much closer release date and actually I prefer the long byte coding. So in the end I went from a 1K0 "K" to a 1K0 "AD" and it worked fine.

You should also remember to clear all errors before running the scan again.
Stage 1 2007 Black Eddy  #1000 - VCDS Hex+Can (Novice coder). H&R springs, newish Bilstein B4's. Gen 3 Steering rack, Helix organic.  The car is *always* work in progress fixing and upgrading things.

Offline Dave_d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 08:56:07 pm »
Thanks for all your replies. I'll do what you have done then Ripstop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dave_d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 07:16:54 am »
Can anyone confirm that I won't suffer drain with this gateway please

Current radio RCD300
Replacement radio RCD510

Current Canbus gateway 1k0 907 530 F
Replacement Canbus gateway 1k0 907 530 L

I understand I will lose my MFSW with not going for a newer gateway,

Cheers
Dave

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 11:30:12 pm »
I think L was the minimum version to stop battery drain, so will be ok.
Jas

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)