Make a donation

Author Topic: Headunit Wiring Question - What cables?  (Read 1597 times)

Offline DaveyBoyWonder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
Headunit Wiring Question - What cables?
« on: August 30, 2017, 07:51:04 am »
Hi all. Ive just fitted a Kenwood DNX520VBT in my gti but I think I'm missing a (fakra?) adapter? On the RCD300 I removed, there were two cables going into the bottom of the unit (antenna and ?). I assume one is for the factory prep phone I removed the cradle for. The Kenwood has what I assume is the antenna connection but it's a double male connection. Do I need an adapter to fit them together?

And I've got a Connects2 adapter plugged inline too but one end of it doesn't seem to plug into anything obvious!

Sorry for the vague description, I'll get pics later! I've installed one of these into my T5 and had no problems so this has stumped me!!!

Cheers, Dave

Offline Gmac

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 7
Re: Headunit Wiring Question - What cables?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 12:12:43 pm »
Hi Dave,

Similar problems here....I'm going from rcd300 to rcd310 both have the two fakra connections but are spaced differently. So you reckon one is the antenna? Wonder what the other is?

Offline SI-R32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 01:52:31 pm »
You have 2 fm aerials and it has diversity tuning meaning it picks the best signal from the strongest fm aerial, so just buy one of the adaptors from ebay and fit it voila all sorted
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline Gmac

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 03:16:24 pm »
You have 2 fm aerials and it has diversity tuning meaning it picks the best signal from the strongest fm aerial, so just buy one of the adaptors from ebay and fit it voila all sorted

Thanks Si! So an adapter for the two fakra fm/am antenna leads to go in to the new close together connections on the newer head unit. And could do away with one of the fm/am leads if you wanted to?

Where's the two aerials? One on the roof? Or are there two in there?

I can't find a dab aerial with the fakra connection, only a screw type?

Offline DaveyBoyWonder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 10:10:12 am »
Cheers Si - makes sense. Got Skipton Car Audio moving 5 mins down the road from me this week so I'll bob in there when I have a minute and pick a cable up.