Make a donation

Author Topic: Ohlins Road & Track DFV Coilovers  (Read 21959 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Ohlins Road & Track DFV Coilovers
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2017, 04:45:30 pm »
Thanks  :happy2:   These absolutely transform a GTI as a road car  :laugh:  Comfortable but still very capable.  Could probably do with a bit more spring for the track, but otherwise epic  :happy2:  I hope you love your ASTs too!

Yeah DSG..... I think I need to do it.  I'm getting bored of changing gears myself!

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 06:04:45 pm »
From what I see you can change springs fairly easy if you ever decide to go to the track. And I believe Ohlins have a good range to choose from....being Ohlins, but I've driven fuscobal's car this summer (he was active here long time ago) and I know that they are superb on track in the original configuration. :driver:
Unfortunately u cannot hire someone to change gears, you need a DSG to do that for you. I'll be happy to assist when that moment comes.

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2018, 05:56:15 pm »
@Pudding .... where did you purchase the ohlins from ?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 09:21:41 am »
Apex performance mate, aka www.ohlinscoilovers.co.uk

Thinking of getting some for the M3?  :laugh:

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 10:20:28 am »
Thinking for the golf! Nearly had enough of trying to spend 25-30k on tatty , misrepresented cars !

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2018, 01:39:41 pm »
Cool  :happy2:

I think this is fate trying to stop you from making a mistake  :grin:

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 03:16:54 pm »
@Pudding  ordering these up now ..... only one option 2004-2009 . Doesn’t seem to be anything about 50-55mm strut ? Looks like one kit does manual and dsg .. that right mate ??
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 06:39:08 am by Bodyboarder81 »

willni

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2018, 08:24:33 pm »
@Pudding

Just wondering, since you highly rate both Ohlins and KW, did you consider the KW DDC Coilovers? which electrically lower and raise like the new ACC Volkswagen suspensions and other makers. Especially when they're in a similar price scale.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2018, 09:16:15 pm »
@Pudding

Just wondering, since you highly rate both Ohlins and KW, did you consider the KW DDC Coilovers? which electrically lower and raise like the new ACC Volkswagen suspensions and other makers. Especially when they're in a similar price scale.

The DCC KW won't electrically raise, they're adjustable with your smartphone to at least Comfort, Normal and Sport modes.

willni

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2018, 09:23:24 pm »
@Pudding

The DCC KW won't electrically raise, they're adjustable with your smartphone to at least Comfort, Normal and Sport modes.

Ah right so it changes the dampening like the click in the Ohlins instead of raising up and down like say Land Rovers Off-road spring and air suspension

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2018, 10:52:48 am »
@Pudding

Ah right so it changes the dampening like the click in the Ohlins instead of raising up and down like say Land Rovers Off-road spring and air suspension

Yes, that's it. If you have the money and want a car with different dampening rates, it's a great option. Bilstein has that system too available. Don't know the prices but won't be cheap.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2018, 03:36:21 pm »
@Pudding

I did see those but my own preference is simplicity. Simple = reliable.  Simple = consistent and predictable  :happy2:

You tend to find with adjustable suspension that you find a setting you like, and leave it there.  With that in mind, I didn't feel the extra expense and complexity of DDC was justified.

KW's corrosion protection is unbeatable because - stainless steel, but that comes at a price and weight penalty.  Whilst I like their construction quality, I don't like the plastic spring perches or their soft damping.   When I had V3s,  I ended up running the dampers at full rebound and it was still too bouncy for my tastes. 

They are also not inverted monotubes, which if you are hard driver, you naturally gravitate towards for their superior rigidity and consistency when cornering hard.

I can't commend the Ohlins enough.  Firmer spring rates than Bilstein PSS16, and you can feel that in the corners....and the damping consistency and body control is just unbelievable at this price point.   To better these and the Bilsteins, you'd need to spend £3-4K on AST 3 ways.

willni

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2018, 05:14:15 pm »
@Pudding

I did see those but my own preference is simplicity. Simple = reliable.  Simple = consistent and predictable  :happy2:

You tend to find with adjustable suspension that you find a setting you like, and leave it there.  With that in mind, I didn't feel the extra expense and complexity of DDC was justified.

KW's corrosion protection is unbeatable because - stainless steel, but that comes at a price and weight penalty.  Whilst I like their construction quality, I don't like the plastic spring perches or their soft damping.   When I had V3s,  I ended up running the dampers at full rebound and it was still too bouncy for my tastes. 

They are also not inverted monotubes, which if you are hard driver, you naturally gravitate towards for their superior rigidity and consistency when cornering hard.

I can't commend the Ohlins enough.  Firmer spring rates than Bilstein PSS16, and you can feel that in the corners....and the damping consistency and body control is just unbelievable at this price point.   To better these and the Bilsteins, you'd need to spend £3-4K on AST 3 ways.

Then the question must be asked...when are the AST’s being delivered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2018, 05:29:40 pm »
@Pudding

Then the question must be asked...when are the AST’s being delivered?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't tempt me  :grin:  As it happens, the Racingline coilovers are made by AST.  Aluminium struts, lovely stuff  :happy2: 

I'm happy with the Ohlins, great bit of kit for the money  :smiley:   I can't remember which area of Ireland you live in, but the roads in Southern Ireland (around Cork especially!) are comically bad, so any suspension kit that can deal with that is a good one  :grin:  Fab5freddy has Ohlins and he's in Ireland, so I wonder how it copes with the rough roads!

Offline teo_parvu

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 30
  • -Receive: 57
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,96115.msg955433.html#new
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2018, 05:35:50 pm »
I will make a review of AST 5300 when I'll test them on the track, but I believe these are too low and too hard for everyday use.