Make a donation

Author Topic: Puddle lights, folding mirror retrofit questions  (Read 8254 times)

Offline 6waysforward

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
  • Boost junkie
Puddle lights, folding mirror retrofit questions
« on: September 11, 2017, 10:04:16 pm »
Let me start by saying sorry, I know this has been covered many times but I can't seem to find the answers I need after trawling through this forum and internet etc.

I have a 05 gti 5dr and I would like to fit puddle lights under the doors and in the mirrors as my kids keep getting out of the car and either dropping things or stepping in sh*t/mud/puddles. I've fitted rubber mats but it don't stop the sh*t smearing round the car or me kneeling in sh*t to look for what they have dropped.

I'm not to bothered about the folding mirrors but it would be nice to have if it's an all or nothing retrofit.

I do not have access to vcds or any kind of scanner as yet But I did have the passenger door card off the other day and have the p/n on the module and I'm pretty certain they are basic.
1K0 959 792 C This number is from the black module right below the window motor, is that right?

So my questions are...
Do I need a certain gen module as my car is older I.e gen 2 or would a gen 3 be ok?
Do I need to change the rear door modules to accept the rear PL?
Do the modules need to be from a 5dr or can I use 3dr modules?
I'm assuming the all the mirrors with PL also fold so could I fit these to my car and retain the normal operations or the mirror and PL but just not be able to fold them?

Any help on this would be great as if I'm honest, after reading some of the tech stuff on the other pages my mind is frazzled.

Thanks.
Tornado Red GTI DSG

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
Re: Puddle lights, folding mirror retrofit questions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 10:49:52 pm »
Go for the led door warning lights, they are a lot cheaper and more effective for your needs.

I have both and although the mirrors are useful the door ones are more in the required area you speak of

Offline ady-uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 01:08:49 pm »
Gen 3 looks same and has same plug but the wires / pins are changed so won't work without wiring changes
VW Golf 2.0 Gtd 140 4motion (2005)
Factory fitted: xenons, sunroof, heated leather seats, fold in mirrors with downlights,
Custom: Mk6 steering wheel, updated gateway, RNS510 remote boot pop, LED lighting.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 01:43:06 am »
@6waysforward

A member on Facebook has done the puddle lights without the need of the modules and Luckily I'm kind enough to post it here for you if you have a little diy skills anything is possible.

1.) Dissassmble mirror DIY in vortex
2.) Dissassmble side door panels to expose door modules
3.) Bore hole underside of mirror plastic using 1 1/4" hole saw.
4.) Install 40mm glass lens and seal it with silicone
5.) Install LED Light on top of lens and also seal silicone. (purchased the LED from Ali Express)
6.) Split the extra cable half to be used as positive and negative wire and attach both ends to the LED wires. Mark the positive (red) and negative (black) with marker. I purchased a wire cable from Dollar Store.
7.) Route the extra cable behind mirror where the mirror heater cable.is located. Follow the way how mirror wires are routed and do the same to the extra cable.
8.) Now comes the tough part, remove the entire side mirror to expose the side panel and from there you need to route the wire to go inside the door panel. I used a wire hanger to poke inside where the wire goes.
9.) Insert the other wire you split with the aid of the wire hanger into the hole. This is to be used as a positive wire to be attached to a repair wire by soldering it.
10.) Locate the door module and remove. it is the 2nd module you need to remove, the smaller one.
11.) Locate pin #10 and insert the soldered repair wire (ECS Tuning has this so get 2 pcs)
12.) Secure the wire by taping them up.
13.) Go back to the mirror and now solder the other other extra cable to the heater mirror which is the blue wire connector.
14.) Once done, you need to run VAG COM to program the lighting. Click 42 Door Electric ( 52 for Driver side) Select 07 Coding, record original value, then add 2 to the current value. click Do It button.
15.)  Turn key on then off. Pull key it should now light up.

Offline 6waysforward

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Boost junkie
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 10:13:24 am »
@r5gtt
Thanks for the reply. I've now got vcds so i can code it myself.
I will add the door lights in this week but i will probably hunt around for some mirrors with the lights built in and the correct modules.
Tornado Red GTI DSG

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 12:22:02 pm »
No worries mate  :happy2:

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 39
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110924.0.html
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2017, 08:48:37 pm »
Well since your car being an 05 model (same as mine)

You use pin 1 in the 32pin connector for +12v, I used pin 4 for ground. But you can take from anywhere.

Your rear doors isn't this straight forward. The rear doors is controlled by you comfort module sitting behind the glove box and you'll have to use a signal output from there and ground from the door somewhere.

Or you have to be creative and do like "EDDIE-NL" did on his and make it work by taking some signal from the door lock module on the outerside of the rear doors. (you will have to remove outer door skins for this. )

__
you can also upgrade all your door control modules to Gen. 3 ones and add a linbus wire to rear doors. Gen 3 controllers control the rear doors.
Here you the entry light install is a plug'n play installation :) Abit work swapping all of the wirering from gen 1-2 to 3 in the controllers though.

I've got some guides for wire swapping from when I did it on my own car if you want.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 08:50:43 pm by Christiank »
MK5 TDI 2.0 MY2005 - FULL OF RETROFITS:
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline 6waysforward

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Boost junkie
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 07:52:40 am »
I didn't know that about the rear. All the reading I've done about it does not mention it.
Yes if you do have any diagrams that would be great thank you.

Still getting my head round this all and then I will give it a try.
Tornado Red GTI DSG

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2017, 07:42:23 pm »
I didn't know that about the rear. All the reading I've done about it does not mention it.
Yes if you do have any diagrams that would be great thank you.

Still getting my head round this all and then I will give it a try.

In my opinion it's not worth the hazzle swapping to Gen 3 controllers. You'll just pull the wire from your comfort module located behind the glovebox for make the rear door entry light work as they should :)
MK6 dashboard - BCM converted - MK7 cruise control MFSW - PLA 2.0 - 3D instrument cluster - Discover Media 2 - Highline TPMS - 10ch Dynaudio system - KESSY with start button

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 09:29:10 pm »
Using a light tester you maybe be able to lap te which wire powers up when opening the rear door and wore them up to that power source as I'm sure someone did it that way  :thinking:

Offline Christiank

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 03:18:47 pm »
Using a light tester you maybe be able to lap te which wire powers up when opening the rear door and wore them up to that power source as I'm sure someone did it that way  :thinking:

This can also be done :)
I just don't personally know which wires you'll have to use etc etc hehe - But it's been done before.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 12:03:43 am »

This can also be done :)
I just don't personally know which wires you'll have to use etc etc hehe - But it's been done before.
a tester will safely get you the correct pin from the module but you'll need the panel off and trial and error whislt open and closing the door  :signLOL:

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 12:13:42 am »
iirc the above is gen 2 and I think SI-R32 posted the link here so no credit to me thanks  :signLOL:

Offline 6waysforward

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Boost junkie
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 08:03:56 pm »
Thanks for the help guys.
I think im more confused now than i was before  :grin:

I will be trying this in a couple of weeks so i need to try and work out which wire i need from the comfort module. Do i need one for each rear door?

Tornado Red GTI DSG

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2017, 09:38:10 pm »
You wil need to wire each side to each module if I'm correct lol

Numbers are in the picture I added and on the controllers so you can't get lost but colours will differ  :happy2: