Make a donation

Author Topic: Someone help?? Nothing but problems with my mk5 Gti  (Read 1813 times)

Mrmattholmes

Someone help?? Nothing but problems with my mk5 Gti
« on: September 12, 2017, 07:51:27 pm »
Right guys really need some help. I'm a Vw mechanic and have been for 15years so I've tried the obvious...

Bought my first mk5 Gti last week and had nothing but problems since day 1.

Front wipers didn't work, changed the motor and that sorted that  :happy2:

Had the light on dash saying all kinds of bulbs were out and non stop beeping when I started it.. front side lights out supposedly but has aftermarket headlights with drl's wired to side lights (got resistors to fit) brake lights not working.. checked them and it wasn't lieing... took the clusters out and the bulbs had  got so hot they exploded and melted the housing. I fit new bulbs and they were on all the time?? 3rd brake light not working though.. checked it out with vcds and brake light switch is working fine, checked all wiring to rear lights and to 3rd brake light and there all fine. Further diagnosing suggested the central electric control unit.. I have changed that and the brake lights started working as they should minus the 3rd brake light still not working.
Fitted a lowering kit today at work as 3 springs were snapped, went to back it off the ramp and the brake lights are stuck on all the time again?!?!? Checked with vcds and brake light switch is fine....

Had a lambda fault come up, went to change it today and it wasn't even plugged in, so that's sorted that...

Had a fault code P0480, cooling fan control circuit malfunction.. checked today and the fan wasn't plugged in, plugged that in and the fan runs at full speed all the time even with ignition off?? The large fan... air con pump connector was disconnected too?? New fans needed? Strip old fans and clean up brushes??

Also getting fault codes 01135, 00323 and 01134 ?? They all at fault??  One causing them all to flag up??

And last but not least... I have a battery drain.. some mornings i will go to the car and it fires first flick of the key, drive to work, go to move the car half hour later and the battery is almost dead and won't start, some mornings it won't start?? Obviously leaving it for long periods with a battery drain it won't start but it's not all the time, can be running all day then go to move it 5 mins later and it won't start. Battery is brand new, alternator is working as it should...

It had hid lights fitted so I have removed them as they were cheap Chinese crap and fitted standard bulbs as I've heard a lot of negative things about them..

Mrmattholmes

Re: Someone help?? Nothing but problems with my mk5 Gti
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 08:31:30 pm »
Update.. checked lights in the dark.. put side lights on and 3rd brake light comes on a little and the fog comes on??

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Someone help?? Nothing but problems with my mk5 Gti
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 09:47:59 am »
Way too many wiring faults to diagnose online.   With that many faults, I'd be taking it to an auto-electrician personally.  Clearly the previous owner was a hack job cowboy and probably chopped through a bunch of grounds, or has caused a short somewhere.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D